NEW DELHI: Leader of Opposition in the Assam assembly, Debabrata Saikia, on Sunday dismissed concerns over former state Congress chief Bhupen Kumar Borah joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), asserting that the development would not impact the party’s prospects in the upcoming assembly elections.Congress leader said Borah’s departure would not dent the Congress as local leaders and workers from his constituency have chosen to stay back.
“It will not cause any harm because the leaders and workers of his constituency, from where he had been preparing to contest for the last three years, did not decide to go with him. They said that even if he leaves, we will remain in Congress. Therefore, we will not suffer any harm,” he said. Saikia further added, “We are making people aware of those who are doing injustice and working against the Constitution.”Borah formally joined the BJP on Sunday in the presence of state BJP president Dilip Saikia and BJP MP Baijayant Panda, months ahead of the assembly polls in Assam.Welcoming him into the party fold, Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said Borah would begin a new phase in his political career. “Bhupen Kumar Borah contributed a lot to the Congress party. He served in the Congress party for 32 years. From today, he will start a new political journey. I extend my best wishes to him,” Sarma said.Borah had been associated with the Indian National Congress for over three decades before switching sides ahead of the high-stakes state elections.

