Thursday, February 19, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Ladakh boycotts Delhi talks: Apex body Leh demands probe into firing; govt says open for dialogue

Ladakh boycotts Delhi talks: Apex body Leh demands probe into firing; govt says open for dialogue

Ladakh groups boycott talks; door open: Govt

SRINAGAR: Ladakh representatives withdrew Monday from scheduled talks with Union home ministry’s high-powered committee, demanding a judicial inquiry by a retired Supreme Court judge into the Sept 24 firing by security forces in Leh that killed four protesters and wounded more than 80. In response, govt said it has always been “open for dialogues on Ladakh matters with Apex Body Leh (ABL) and Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA) at any time” and “would continue to welcome the discussion”.ABL also sought withdrawal of “anti-national” labels against Ladakhis and release of all those arrested, including climate activist Sonam Wangchuk. They alleged Wangchuk was targeted after he joined ABL, which represents political and religious groups, and has been pressing for Sixth Schedule safeguards and statehood for Ladakh.“Branding us anti-national is a slur on our patriotism. We cannot hold talks at gunpoint,” ABL co-chair Chering Dorje Lakruk said. “We have been loyal nationalists. These accusations are a black stain on us.”Talks between the Centre-appointed committee and Ladakhi groups ABL and KDA were set for Oct 6. An ABL delegation was to travel to New Delhi on Sept 30 after the cremations of the victims, while the KDA team is already in the national capital. Govt said the ongoing “dialogue mechanism” had “yielded good results,” citing increased reservations for scheduled tribes in Ladakh, women’s reservation in LAHDCs, and protection for local languages. It added that recruitment for 1,800 govt posts in the Union territory had already begun and expressed confidence that “continuous dialogue would yield the desired results in near future”.For a sixth straight day, curfew remained in force, with internet services suspended and roads sealed to block gatherings.The four deceased were identified as Jigmet Dorjay, 25; Stanzin Namgyal, 23; retired soldier Tsewang Tharchin, 46, a father of four who served in the Army from 1996 to 2017; and Rinchen Dadul.“Whole of Ladakh wants justice. The manner in which funerals were conducted under tight security, barring people from attending, has further saddened us,” Lakruk said, while alleging CRPF personnel “indiscriminately opened fire on our children” during Wangchuk’s hunger strike in Leh. “Many youths, including students preparing for exams, were arrested and beaten. They are students, not criminals. We demand their immediate release,” he said.He accused the administration of spreading “false narratives”. “The lieutenant governor accused us of being influenced by foreign hands. Later the DGP spoke of a Pakistan angle and accused Wangchuk of anti-national activity. These baseless allegations are extremely serious and have hurt us most,” Lakruk said.Former MP and ABL chairman Thupstan Chhewang said Ladakhis felt betrayed after the region was made a Union territory without a legislature in 2019. “When we were part of J&K, we had safeguards under Article 370 and Article 35A. We thought there would be a democratic system after separation, but it was denied,” he said.Chhewang said ABL had submitted four demands to Centre after Ladakh became a UT: Sixth Schedule safeguards, statehood, a separate cadre and public service commission, and separate parliamentary seats for Leh and Kargil. “We pursued our struggle peacefully, but what happened on Sept 24 was shocking.”

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian Navy likely to commission third indigenous N-powered submarine ‘by this summer’

INS Aridhaman NEW DELHI: India’s sea-based nuclear deterrent will be strengthened soon as the country’s third indigenous Arihant-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN), INS Aridhaman (designated S4), is likely to b Read More

Rafale to make India stronger, willing to increase its indigenous content; ready to sell more submarines: Macron

Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi holds meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron NEW DELHI: French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday said that Rafale fighter jets will boost India’s military strength and that he is comm Read More

DRDO conducts successful qualification test for Gaganyaan drogue parachute

DRDO parachute NEW DELHI: India’s maiden human spaceflight programme achieved a big boost with the successful qualification level load test of the drogue parachute for the Gaganyaan programme at DRDO’s Rail Track Rocket Sledge (RTR Read More

Shashi Tharoor calls The Kerala Story ‘hate-mongering’

Senior Congress MP Shashi Tharoor on Thursday criticised the makers of The Kerala Story 2 – Goes Beyond, alleging that the sequel — like its predecessor — promotes divisive narratives without factual basis and risks spreading hatred i Read More

Topics

Indian Navy likely to commission third indigenous N-powered submarine ‘by this summer’

INS Aridhaman NEW DELHI: India’s sea-based nuclear deterrent will be strengthened soon as the country’s third indigenous Arihant-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN), INS Aridhaman (designated S4), is likely to b Read More

Rafale to make India stronger, willing to increase its indigenous content; ready to sell more submarines: Macron

Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi holds meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron NEW DELHI: French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday said that Rafale fighter jets will boost India’s military strength and that he is comm Read More

DRDO conducts successful qualification test for Gaganyaan drogue parachute

DRDO parachute NEW DELHI: India’s maiden human spaceflight programme achieved a big boost with the successful qualification level load test of the drogue parachute for the Gaganyaan programme at DRDO’s Rail Track Rocket Sledge (RTR Read More

Shashi Tharoor calls The Kerala Story ‘hate-mongering’

Senior Congress MP Shashi Tharoor on Thursday criticised the makers of The Kerala Story 2 – Goes Beyond, alleging that the sequel — like its predecessor — promotes divisive narratives without factual basis and risks spreading hatred i Read More

‘I almost terminated him’: Why did Donald Trump say he wanted to fire US Secretary of State Marco Rubio?

US President Donald Trump joked about sharing the limelight with Secretary of State Marco Rubio and first lady Melania Trump at the inaugural meeting of his Board of Peace on February 19, 2026, in Washington, DC, as the body oversaw Read More

WATCH: Shehbaz Sharif ‘sidelined’ at Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ meet as Pakistan falters on Gaza

Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ meeting on Thursday highlighted Islamabad’s waning diplomatic influence, as leaders from dozens of countries were prominently featured in the new peace initiative while Sharif cut a lonely figure Go to Source Read More

Trump claims 200% tariff warning forced India and Pakistan to stop fighting

US President Donald Trump Thursday said he had threatened to put 200 per cent tariffs on India and Pakistan if they didn’t stop the fighting last summer, reiterating the claim that he stopped the war between the two nucleararmed neighbours. Read More

Related Articles