Sunday, February 22, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

Indore sewage-water mix toll rises, now 9

Indore sewage-water mix toll rises, now 9

MP CM Mohan Yadav meets an affected person undergoing treatment after the consumption of contaminated water, at a hospital in Indore on Wednesday

INDORE: Madhya Pradesh’s govt late Thursday evening confirmed nine deaths in Bhagirathpura following people falling ill after drinking contaminated water. People from the area had started pouring into hospitals across the city complaining of diarrhoea and vomiting since Monday after the drinking water supply to Bhagirathpura was contaminated with sewage water from a toilet built at the local police check post. Additional chief secretary Sanjay Dubey, in charge of the urban development department, told TOI: “Nine deaths have been reported in the area. But we can at present attribute only four to the contaminated water based on postmortem examination reports.” Indore district collector Shivam Verma said the initial report of tests on water samples from Bhagirathpura, received late Thursday evening, found the water to be “contaminated.” He, however, could not confirm the type of bacteria found.Strict action against those who didn’t follow instructions: Mayor Dubey, meanwhile, met top officials in Indore to chalk out the course of action. “We have worked out guidelines to ensure that funds are allocated and treatment costs of patients are taken care of,” Dubey said. MP CM Mohan Yadav had announced compensation of Rs 2 lakh for each victim’s family. Chief medical and health officer Dr Madhav Prasad Hasani said on Thursday that 1,714 houses were surveyed and 8,571 people were examined. Of these, 338 patients were identified and treated on the spot.Till Thursday, 272 patients had been admitted to hospitals, of which 71 patients have been discharged. There were 201 patients currently in hospitals and 32 in the ICUs. During the meeting, Dubey discussed ways to contain the situation on the ground and ensure safe water supply. “Instructions issued on various works related to water and sewerage were not followed properly and strict action should be taken against those responsible,” Indore mayor Pushyamitra Bhargava said. MP urban development and housing minister Kailash Vijayvargiya, however, said, “Around 60% of old pipelines have been changed. Work on the rest is on.” Earlier in the day, officials visited the site and checked the water supply pipelines. “Water supply was re-started on Thursday. But we did not allow residents to use it. Water samples were taken randomly. They will be tested on alternative days. Only after the samples are cleared will residents be allowed to consume that water,” Dubey said. The tragedy has also prompted authorities to consider taking steps in civic bodies across the state to prevent such incidents. “We will come out with a standard operating procedure to ensure that random water sample collection is carried out in all local bodies to ensure clean water supply,” he said. Vijayvargiya met the affected families and assured them of govt support. “No person and family affected by this outbreak will suffer. A list of those who were admitted to hospitals has been drawn up and treatment costs will be met. Their expenses will be returned to them via cheques,” Vijayvargiya said. MP Congress president Jitu Patwari, meanwhile, criticised BJP-led state govt over the deaths, saying the tragedy was the result of “gross negligence and arrogance of power”. Congress claimed 13 people had died. “This tragedy has occurred due to govt’s negligence and insensitivity. When journalists raise questions, ministers abuse them. This is not democracy but dictatorial thinking,” he said.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Real Or AI? Viral Video Showing Epstein’s Partner Ghislaine Maxwell’s Lookalike Sparks Buzz | Watch

A viral video shows a woman in Quebec resembling Ghislaine Maxwell, partner of Jeffrey Epstein. Read More

Largest US Bank JPMorgan Chase Closed Donald Trump’s 50 Accounts In 2021. Here’s Why

Until now, JPMorgan had never formally acknowledged closing Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6, previously speaking only in general terms about account closures and citing privacy laws. Read More

Barry Manilow postpones 2026 tour after lung cancer recovery setback

credit-instagram Barry Manilow has made the tough call to cancel several tour dates after a disheartening doctor’s visit tied to his ongoing lung cancer battle. Read More

Indian influencer, wife claim to be detained for 38 hours in South Korea & China for ‘no reason’ | WATCH

An Indian content creator named Sachin Awasthi claimed in an Instagram post that immigration authorities detained him in both South Korea and China while he was travelling with his wife. Read More

East Coast braces for major blizzard as nor’easter moves from Washington to Boston

A fast-strengthening storm has prompted blizzard warnings across major East Coast cities, with up to 2 feet of snow and hazardous travel expected from Sunday Go to Source Read More

Topics

Real Or AI? Viral Video Showing Epstein’s Partner Ghislaine Maxwell’s Lookalike Sparks Buzz | Watch

A viral video shows a woman in Quebec resembling Ghislaine Maxwell, partner of Jeffrey Epstein. Read More

Largest US Bank JPMorgan Chase Closed Donald Trump’s 50 Accounts In 2021. Here’s Why

Until now, JPMorgan had never formally acknowledged closing Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6, previously speaking only in general terms about account closures and citing privacy laws. Read More

Barry Manilow postpones 2026 tour after lung cancer recovery setback

credit-instagram Barry Manilow has made the tough call to cancel several tour dates after a disheartening doctor’s visit tied to his ongoing lung cancer battle. Read More

Indian influencer, wife claim to be detained for 38 hours in South Korea & China for ‘no reason’ | WATCH

An Indian content creator named Sachin Awasthi claimed in an Instagram post that immigration authorities detained him in both South Korea and China while he was travelling with his wife. Read More

East Coast braces for major blizzard as nor’easter moves from Washington to Boston

A fast-strengthening storm has prompted blizzard warnings across major East Coast cities, with up to 2 feet of snow and hazardous travel expected from Sunday Go to Source Read More

Lured With Gifts, Video Games: UP Engineer, His Wife Abused Minor Boys For Over A Decade

Ram Bhawan and Durgawati were sentenced to death in Uttar Pradesh for running a decade-long child-porn operation, abusing boys as young as three. Read More

One Call Home: Indian Govt Plans Global Toll-Free Passport Helpline | Exclusive

Indians abroad may soon dial a single toll-free number to reach passport support in India, with the government set to bear all international call charges Go to Source Read More

Kia Syros long term review, 13000km report

You’ll have noticed, if you’ve read or watched any of our reviews, that when we critique a car’s design or styling, we add the proviso of “but that’s just my opinion” or “looks are subjective”. Read More

Related Articles