Saturday, February 21, 2026
21.1 C
New Delhi

Government checking veracity of ‘surrender offer’ by Maoists

Government checking veracity of ‘surrender offer’ by Maoists

NEW DELHI: CPI(Maoist), in a purported press statement signed by its top leader ‘Abhay’ – the nom de guerre used by senior-most politburo and central committee member Mallojula Venugopal Rao – has offered to lay down arms and enter into a temporary ceasefire.Pushed to the brink by sustained counter-Naxal operations in ‘core’ areas deep inside the jungles of Abujmarh, which have seen decimation of its top leaders, including general secretary Basavaraju and seven central committee members this year, the CPI(Maoist) sought a month from govt to hold consultations with its leaders and cadre across the country, including those in jail, to build a consensus on its peace initiative. Sources in the Chhattisgarh govt and central agencies, however, said the authenticity of the letter, which is different from earlier CPI(Maoist) press statements as it carries a mugshot of Abhay, is still being verified.Stating that it had taken note of the press release, Chhattisgarh Police said, “The contents are under careful examination. It is reiterated that any decision on engagement or dialogue with the CPI(Maoist) lies solely with the govt, which will take an appropriate call after due consideration and assessment of the situation and circumstances.” A central govt officer said the onslaught the Maoists have been subjected to over the past months has not left them with many options, other than surrender. The CPI (Maoist) statement, while underlining its repeated calls for peace negotiations since the last week of March 2025, said it had on May 10, 2025, proposed laying down arms and ceasefire and sought a month’s time to hold consultations among its top brass. However, central govt, rather than responding, stepped up its counter-operations, which saw the elimination of CPI(Maoist) general secretary Basavaraju and 28 others.”In view of the changed global and national circumstances and consistent appeals by the PM, home minister and top police officers to lay down arms and join the mainstream, we have decided to give up armed struggle and enter into a temporary ceasefire. We, in the future, will continue to fight for people’s rights alongside political parties and activist outfits.” They added they were ready for talks with the home minister or other representatives.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Neymar makes shock retirement claim ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup: ‘I’ll want to retire…’

Neymar has been struggling with injuries since his return to his boyhood club in Brazil’s Santos. With the 2026 World Cup approaching, he has talked about his future. Read More

Indian-origin lawyer Neal Katyal won case for Osama bin Laden’s driver before blocking Trump’s tariffs

Neal Katyal, the American lawyer credited with securing a major Supreme Court setback for US President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, has a long record of high‑profile legal victories, including a Supreme Court case defending a Guan Read More

Ukraine strikes Russia: 11 injured as Kyiv targets Moscow’s industrial site and gas processing plant

AP image The Ukrainian General Staff said on Saturday that Kyiv carried out a drone and missile strike deep inside Russian territory overnight, hitting an industrial site in the Udmurt Republic and a gas processing plant in Samara. Read More

Who is Neal Katyal? The Indian-American lawyer behind Trump’s tariff loss

Neal Katyal is a prominent Indian‑origin American lawyer whose legal work played a central role in a major United States Supreme Court decision that struck down sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. Read More

Trump raises US global tariff from 10 to 15 per cent

US President Donald Trump raised worldwide import tariffs from 10% to 15% effective immediately, a day after the Supreme Court struck down parts of his sweeping trade duties, calling the ruling “extraordinarily anti-American. Read More

Topics

Neymar makes shock retirement claim ahead of 2026 FIFA World Cup: ‘I’ll want to retire…’

Neymar has been struggling with injuries since his return to his boyhood club in Brazil’s Santos. With the 2026 World Cup approaching, he has talked about his future. Read More

Indian-origin lawyer Neal Katyal won case for Osama bin Laden’s driver before blocking Trump’s tariffs

Neal Katyal, the American lawyer credited with securing a major Supreme Court setback for US President Donald Trump’s tariff policies, has a long record of high‑profile legal victories, including a Supreme Court case defending a Guan Read More

Ukraine strikes Russia: 11 injured as Kyiv targets Moscow’s industrial site and gas processing plant

AP image The Ukrainian General Staff said on Saturday that Kyiv carried out a drone and missile strike deep inside Russian territory overnight, hitting an industrial site in the Udmurt Republic and a gas processing plant in Samara. Read More

Who is Neal Katyal? The Indian-American lawyer behind Trump’s tariff loss

Neal Katyal is a prominent Indian‑origin American lawyer whose legal work played a central role in a major United States Supreme Court decision that struck down sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. Read More

Trump raises US global tariff from 10 to 15 per cent

US President Donald Trump raised worldwide import tariffs from 10% to 15% effective immediately, a day after the Supreme Court struck down parts of his sweeping trade duties, calling the ruling “extraordinarily anti-American. Read More

Trump Raises Global Tariff To 15%, Calls US Top Court’s Ruling ‘Anti-American’

Trump said the higher tariff would take effect immediately and accused several countries of exploiting the US for decades. Read More

Trump ups tariffs day after Supreme Court ruling against him

The president will increase import taxes to 15% on most products coming into the US from Tuesday. Read More

Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling

The six justices who voted against the tariffs, dealing a major blow to his signature economic policy, should be “absolutely ashamed”, Trump said. Read More

Related Articles