Sunday, May 24, 2026
43.1 C
New Delhi

Evening news wrap: Jaishankar, Rubio discuss racism, defence & visa; 24 Pak personnel killed in train blast & more

Marco Rubio’s Racism Remark, Visa Talks & Quad Push Dominate Joint Presser With Jaishankar

  • External affairs minister S Jaishankar and US secretary of state Marco Rubio addressed issues ranging from visa reforms and anti-India racism to defence cooperation during a joint press conference in New Delhi.
  • At least 24 Pakistani personnel were killed and over 100 injured after the banned Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for a suicide train blast near Quetta in Balochistan.
  • At least two people were killed and 56 injured after Russia launched a massive strike on Ukraine using Oreshnik, Iskander, Kinzhal and Zircon missiles, according to Russian state media.
  • US secretary of state Marco Rubio hinted at a possible breakthrough in Iran talks, saying the world could receive “good news” within hours despite Tehran saying a few issues remain unresolved.
  • A 21-year-old man identified as Nasire Best was shot dead by the US Secret Service after allegedly opening fire near the White House, triggering a major security alert.

Here are the top five news stories of the day:

From anti India racism to visa issues – Key takeaways from Jaishankar-Rubio joint press conference

External affairs minister S Jaishankar and US secretary of state Marco Rubio reaffirmed the growing strategic partnership between India and the United States during a joint press conference in New Delhi, while addressing issues ranging from visa reforms and anti-India racism to defence cooperation, trade negotiations, Iran tensions and the Quad alliance. Rubio said recent immigration policy changes were part of a global overhaul and not targeted at Indians, acknowledged the contribution of Indian immigrants and businesses to the US economy, and condemned racist remarks against Indian Americans. Read full story.

Pakistan train blast: 24 killed, over 100 injured in BLA’s ‘fidayeen attack’ near Quetta railway track

At least 24 Pakistani personnel were killed and more than 100 injured after a shuttle train carrying military personnel was targeted in a suicide vehicle-borne IED blast near Quetta in Balochistan. The train, which had departed from the Quetta military cantonment, reportedly derailed after one of its bogies was blown apart in the explosion near Chaman Phatak, triggering a fire and causing extensive damage to nearby homes and vehicles. The banned militant group Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the “fidayeen attack”, saying it specifically targeted Pakistani army personnel travelling on the train. Read full story

Russia launches hypersonic Oreshnik, Iskander, Kinzhal & Zircon missiles in massive attack on Ukraine

At least two people were killed and 56 injured after Russia launched a massive overnight strike on Ukraine in what Moscow described as retaliation for recent Ukrainian attacks inside Russian territory. According to Russian state media, the assault involved Oreshnik, Iskander, Kinzhal and Zircon missiles targeting Ukrainian military command centres, air bases and defence industry facilities. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said an Oreshnik missile struck Bila Tserkva in the Kyiv region during a wider attack involving around 600 drones and 90 missiles. Read full story

‘World may get good news in hours,’ says Rubio; Iran claims 1-2 issues still unresolved

US secretary of state Marco Rubio has hinted at a possible breakthrough in talks with Iran, saying the world could receive “good news” within hours regarding a potential deal aimed at easing tensions in the Middle East and ending the weeks-long conflict involving the US, Iran and Israel, which is currently under a ceasefire. His remarks came a day after US President Donald Trump claimed a proposed agreement between Washington and Tehran had been “largely negotiated”, though Iranian officials cautioned that a few issues remained unresolved. Follow live updates

White House shooting: 21-year-old Nasire Best, who identified himself as Jesus Christ, shot dead

A 21-year-old man identified as Nasire Best was shot dead by the US Secret Service after allegedly opening fire near the White House. Best, who allegedly believed he was Jesus Christ, began firing near a security checkpoint outside the presidential complex, prompting Secret Service personnel to return fire. The shooting triggered a major security lockdown around the White House as federal agencies launched an investigation. Reports said US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time amid ongoing diplomatic discussions related to Iran. Read full story. Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Missile destroyed a building near my parents’ house this morning’: Marta Kostyuk stuns French Open crowd after win

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk overcame emotional turmoil to defeat Russia’s Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of the French Open after a missile strike near her parents’ home in Kyiv. The 15th seed extended her clay winning streak to 12 matches. Read More

Trump turnaround: Open the straits, close the war

TOI correspondent from Washington: “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation,” U.S President Donald Trump said in January 2020 during his first term. Read More

Rubio acknowledges ‘friction points’ in US immigration overhaul after India raises visa concerns

Jaishankar raises concerns over visa and mobility challenges faced by Indian professionals as Washington defends sweeping immigration and green card policy changes. Read More

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter identified himself as Jesus & had prior Secret Service encounters?

Reports said Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service. Read More

Dhaka Deploys AI To Tackle Traffic Chaos, Cops Say They’re Getting Results

Dhaka launches AI traffic enforcement using cameras to detect violations. Early results show improved driver compliance and 300 vehicles prosecuted so far. Read More

Topics

‘Missile destroyed a building near my parents’ house this morning’: Marta Kostyuk stuns French Open crowd after win

Ukraine’s Marta Kostyuk overcame emotional turmoil to defeat Russia’s Oksana Selekhmeteva in the first round of the French Open after a missile strike near her parents’ home in Kyiv. The 15th seed extended her clay winning streak to 12 matches. Read More

Trump turnaround: Open the straits, close the war

TOI correspondent from Washington: “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation,” U.S President Donald Trump said in January 2020 during his first term. Read More

Rubio acknowledges ‘friction points’ in US immigration overhaul after India raises visa concerns

Jaishankar raises concerns over visa and mobility challenges faced by Indian professionals as Washington defends sweeping immigration and green card policy changes. Read More

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter identified himself as Jesus & had prior Secret Service encounters?

Reports said Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service. Read More

Dhaka Deploys AI To Tackle Traffic Chaos, Cops Say They’re Getting Results

Dhaka launches AI traffic enforcement using cameras to detect violations. Early results show improved driver compliance and 300 vehicles prosecuted so far. Read More

After Modi’s Push For Domestic Tourism, Here Are 8 Places Seeing A Surge

Modi’s Vocal for Local push is driving a shift from foreign trips to premium domestic tourism, boosting bookings in Lakshadweep, Puducherry, Jodhpur and other places Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Education ministry directs deployment of IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur experts to fix CBSE post-result portal glitches

Photo credit: ANI NEW DELHI: The ministry of education on Sunday said it has directed IIT Madras and IIT Kanpur to assist the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in resolving technical issues on its post-result services port Read More

London To Paris: Delhi Gymkhana’s 61 Affiliated Clubs Across 15 Countries

Founded in 1913 as the Imperial Delhi Gymkhana Club, it stands as one of India’s oldest and most iconic social and sporting landmarks Go to Source Read More

Related Articles