Tuesday, February 17, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

Best morning to send a message, says Supreme Court, denies bail in UAPA case

Best morning to send a message, says Supreme Court, denies bail in UAPA case

.

NEW DELHI: Monday’s tragic incident of a blast outside Red Fort, in which nine people lost their lives, also had a bearing on bail hearing of an accused facing prosecution under anti-terror law UAPA for alleged links with terror organisation Islamic State, with SC dismissing his plea and terming the order as a message. Representing Syed Mansoor Ali, senior advocate Siddhartha Dave appeared to acknowledge the challenge in arguing for bail for the UAPA accused a day after the attack near Red Fort. “Not the best morning to argue this case after the events of yesterday,” he said at the outset of the hearing on the first case before a bench of Justices Vikram Nath & Sandeep Mehta. A quick response came from Justice Mehta, saying, “Best morning to send a message. Dave thereafter tried to impress upon the court that his client had been in jail for more than two years, and that he did not indulge in any overt act and only Islamic literature was recovered from him. SC, however, pointed out that the accused had formed a WhatsApp group similar to that of ISIS, and questioned intention behind it. “You are accused of creating a ring of terror in country. Creating turbulence and affecting civility in the country,” the bench observed and refused to show any leniency towards him. Though Dave submitted that the accused was 70% disabled, it did not cut the ice and the court rejected his bail plea. It, however, directed the trial court to conclude proceedings within two years. “We are not inclined to interfere. Considering the facts and circumstances of the case and the fact that the petitioner has been incarcerated for more than two years and further that 19 out of 64 proposed witnesses have already been examined, although 94 are mentioned in the chargesheet, we direct the trial court to conclude the trial within two years,” SC said. Prosecution and defence shall extend all cooperation in trial. If trial is not concluded within two years for no fault attributed to the petitioner, it will be open for him to revise his plea for bail, it said Ali moved SC after his bail plea was rejected by MP HC on Jan 6 this year. HC had noted that he was accused of being associated with ISIS, forming a WhatsApp group named ‘Fisabilillah’ and conspiring with co-accused to attack the Jabalpur Ordnance Factory to procure weapons. It found that the materials seized, including ISIS-related videos, literature, and communication records, established a prima facie case under UAPA.

Go to Source

Hot this week

US military strikes three alleged drug-trafficking boats, killing 11 people

The US military struck three alleged drug-trafficking vessels in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean on Monday night, killing all 11 people on board, US Southern Command said Tuesday. Read More

Telugu actress Pratyusha suicide case: SC upholds boyfriend’s conviction

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Holding that the surviving partner in a mutual suicide pact has to be punished for abetment, SC Tuesday upheld conviction of boyfriend of Telugu actress Pratyusha in her death case in 2002 as both of them ha Read More

Defence NOC clears way for Andrabi’s sentencing

Aasiya Andrabi NEW DELHI: The procedural limbo over who will pronounce the sentence against Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi and two aides in a 2018 terror conspiracy case narrowed Tuesday after the defence submitted in writing th Read More

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Topics

US military strikes three alleged drug-trafficking boats, killing 11 people

The US military struck three alleged drug-trafficking vessels in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean on Monday night, killing all 11 people on board, US Southern Command said Tuesday. Read More

Telugu actress Pratyusha suicide case: SC upholds boyfriend’s conviction

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Holding that the surviving partner in a mutual suicide pact has to be punished for abetment, SC Tuesday upheld conviction of boyfriend of Telugu actress Pratyusha in her death case in 2002 as both of them ha Read More

Defence NOC clears way for Andrabi’s sentencing

Aasiya Andrabi NEW DELHI: The procedural limbo over who will pronounce the sentence against Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi and two aides in a 2018 terror conspiracy case narrowed Tuesday after the defence submitted in writing th Read More

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions

Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region. Read More

Top Trump aide Tricia McLaughlin to leave DHS — Has Trump’s immigration crackdown gone too far?

One of the most outspoken faces of Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown is stepping down, raising questions about internal rift in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Read More

NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP

Great Nicobar project NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. Read More

Related Articles