Wednesday, February 18, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

50 docs in LNJP’s disaster ward raceagainst time to treat car blast victims

50 docs in LNJP’s disaster ward raceagainst time to treat car blast victims

New Delhi: The response to the terror attack in the heart of the capital on Monday evening was swift and resolute inside the emergency wards and ICUs of Delhi govt’s Lok Nayak (LNJP) Hospital. More than 50 doctors and others have been working without pause since Monday night, battling to save lives.Amputations had to be carried out, and crush injuries to wounds caused by shrapnel and pellets, broken bones and eardrums ruptured due to intense shockwaves dealt with round the clock by the dedicated team. Hospital officials said around 25 patients are currently under their care with no one sent to other facilities so far.The hospital’s 70-bed disaster ward, created for emergencies of this scale, was activated within minutes of the first casualties arriving. “As soon as the blast victims started coming in, the disaster ward was opened. All departments were alerted and over 50 doctors from orthopaedics, burns and plastic, neurosurgery, general surgery, casualty and ICU began treating them,” an official said.Doctors said at least four blast victims suffered pneumothorax — a condition in which air leaks into the space between the lungs and chest wall, causing the lungs to collapse — after being hit by the explosion’s shockwave. They were treated with intercostal (between the ribs) drainage tubes to remove the trapped air and help the lungs expand again. Several others were being treated by ENT specialists for eardrum rupture.Officials said overall eight patients are critical. “At the burns centre, four patients have minor injuries while three with severe burns are in a critical condition. Another three with head and other major injuries are under neurosurgical care,” said a senior doctor.While the numbers could not be officially corroborated, sources said some victims lost limbs — including legs and fingers — in the blast. At least one patient is reported to have undergone a major amputation.Seven patients also suffered injuries caused by fragments of glass and automobile debris. “Due to the varied nature of injuries — from burns and crush wounds to head trauma — the patients are being managed by multiple specialists,” the doctor added, clarifying that the burns were caused by flames and not chemicals.”As of now, the situation is under control. Those who have identified the bodies of people who died in the blast have been handed over the remains. The families of the other victims who are receiving treatment have been allowed to meet them,” another senior official said.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Govt kicks out Galgotias University from AI Summit over Chinese robot row: Report

Galgotias University presented a Chinese robodog as its own at the AI summit, but netizens quickly tore down the claim Go to Source Read More

Ramadan Begins In UAE: First fast observed as work hours shift; Iftar at 6:18 PM in Dubai

Ramadan 1447 AH commenced on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, following verified crescent moon sightings across the Middle East, including the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar. Read More

‘Not fair’: Zelenskyy says Trump is pressuring Ukraine more than Russia amid talks to end war

Zelenskyy accused Trump of unfairly pressuring Ukraine to make concessions while sparing Russia, as peace talks intensify and Kyiv refuses to give up territory in the ongoing war Go to Source Read More

Trump’s Air Force One to get a new look? Report says president’s official jets to get a fresh paint job

The new colours will be applied to the new Boeing 747s, which will serve as Air Force One. Read More

Why The Presence Of Hindu, Buddhist Ministers In Bangladesh Cabinet Matters

The appointment of these ministers comes at a time when Bangladesh has seen major incidents of violence against religious minorities. Read More

Topics

Govt kicks out Galgotias University from AI Summit over Chinese robot row: Report

Galgotias University presented a Chinese robodog as its own at the AI summit, but netizens quickly tore down the claim Go to Source Read More

Ramadan Begins In UAE: First fast observed as work hours shift; Iftar at 6:18 PM in Dubai

Ramadan 1447 AH commenced on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, following verified crescent moon sightings across the Middle East, including the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar. Read More

‘Not fair’: Zelenskyy says Trump is pressuring Ukraine more than Russia amid talks to end war

Zelenskyy accused Trump of unfairly pressuring Ukraine to make concessions while sparing Russia, as peace talks intensify and Kyiv refuses to give up territory in the ongoing war Go to Source Read More

Trump’s Air Force One to get a new look? Report says president’s official jets to get a fresh paint job

The new colours will be applied to the new Boeing 747s, which will serve as Air Force One. Read More

Why The Presence Of Hindu, Buddhist Ministers In Bangladesh Cabinet Matters

The appointment of these ministers comes at a time when Bangladesh has seen major incidents of violence against religious minorities. Read More

As Sri Lanka Scraps Pensions For Its MPs, Here’s How India And Neighbours Pay Their Lawmakers

Lanka has described the move as a moral obligation towards greater accountability since lawmakers should not receive benefits that are out of touch with the common man’s struggles Go to Source Read More

Emmanuel Macron’s Mumbai Jog Decoded By Harsh Goenka: Why It Matters To You

The French President kicked off his visit with a jog along Mumbai’s Marine Drive. PM Modi has also often highlighted the value of daily walking. Read More

‘Chinese products showcased’: Rahul Gandhi calls AI Impact summit ‘disorganised PR spectacle’

NEW DELHI: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday slammed AI Impact Summit, terming it a “disorganised PR spectacle. Read More

Related Articles