Wednesday, May 20, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Peter Capaldi talks about hate faced by Jodie Whittaker, Ncuti Gatwa

Peter Capaldi on ‘why people take it so seriously’; talks about backlash to Jodie Whittaker, Ncuti Gatwa on ‘Doctor Who’

Peter Capaldi has weighed in on the backlash faced by Jodie Whittaker and Ncuti Gatwa over their casting in Doctor Who. While both actors received praise for their performances, their casting also sparked criticism from sections of the audience. Addressing the controversy, Capaldi shared his perspective on the reactions and the evolving nature of the show.

Peter Capaldi on ‘Doctor Who’ backlash

Speaking to The Times, Capaldi—who played the Twelfth Doctor—addressed the criticism surrounding the casting choices.Whittaker made history as the first woman to portray the Doctor, while Gatwa became the first Black, openly queer actor to take on the role. Their casting marked a significant shift for the long-running series, which first aired in 1963.Reflecting on the backlash, Capaldi said the show has always evolved with the times. “It reflects its times and it’s a good thing in the world, though it’s become a bit too big, too important for the BBC or whoever. When I was a kid and watched it, it was just a monster show in the corner of the room. I don’t know why people take it so seriously,” he said.Gatwa, who plays the current Doctor, faced racist remarks and online hate following the announcement of his casting.

Ncuti Gatwa on dealing with hate

The Sex Education star also addressed the backlash in a conversation with Attitude. Speaking about the hate he has received, Gatwa said, “It’s not something I’ll avidly keep up on. The hate? It is kind of fascinating to me because there’s so much energy they’re putting into it. I think they need to go find a hobby.”

Casting backlash beyond ‘Doctor Who’

Gatwa is not the only actor to face such reactions in recent times. With a new Harry Potter series in development, Paapa Essiedu has been cast as Severus Snape, a role previously portrayed by Alan Rickman in the films.Following the announcement, Essiedu faced backlash online, with some criticising the casting. Addressing the issue earlier this year, he said he is choosing to channel the negativity into motivation. Speaking to The Times, he added, “It really matters. The reality is that if I look at Instagram I will see somebody saying, ‘I’m going to come to your house and kill you.’ So while I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be murdered… that could age badly! But, yes, while I hope I’ll be OK, nobody should have to encounter this for doing their job.” Go to Source

Hot this week

Raúl Castro Indicted In US: All About The Last Cuban President

US indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro in Florida over 1996 downing of two civilian planes, urges Cubans to embrace a new path, highlighting his long rule and reforms. Read More

Giorgia Meloni And PM Modi’s Viral ‘Melody’ Instagram Reel Reaches 120 Million Views

Giorgia Meloni goes viral as an Instagram reel tops 120 million views, featuring her with PM Modi and fueling the Melodi trend, highlighting her growing global digital influence. Read More

Omar govt orders inquiry into demolition drive in Jammu to free forest land of illegal occupation

. SRINAGAR/JAMMU: The Omar Abdullah govt Wednesday constituted a two-member committee to investigate the demolitions carried out in Jammu’s Sidhra area a day earlier to free forest land of alleged encroachments. Read More

From strategic partnership upgrade to defence roadmap: Key outcomes of PM Modi–Meloni meeting in Rome

Modi and Meloni meeting India and Italy on Wednesday elevated their relationship to a Special Strategic Partnership as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni held extensive talks in Rome. Read More

Why Rising Gold Prices Are Changing Spending Plans

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Indian families are buying less gold due to high prices. Wedding budgets are adjusted for practical financial comfort. Read More

Topics

Raúl Castro Indicted In US: All About The Last Cuban President

US indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro in Florida over 1996 downing of two civilian planes, urges Cubans to embrace a new path, highlighting his long rule and reforms. Read More

Giorgia Meloni And PM Modi’s Viral ‘Melody’ Instagram Reel Reaches 120 Million Views

Giorgia Meloni goes viral as an Instagram reel tops 120 million views, featuring her with PM Modi and fueling the Melodi trend, highlighting her growing global digital influence. Read More

Omar govt orders inquiry into demolition drive in Jammu to free forest land of illegal occupation

. SRINAGAR/JAMMU: The Omar Abdullah govt Wednesday constituted a two-member committee to investigate the demolitions carried out in Jammu’s Sidhra area a day earlier to free forest land of alleged encroachments. Read More

From strategic partnership upgrade to defence roadmap: Key outcomes of PM Modi–Meloni meeting in Rome

Modi and Meloni meeting India and Italy on Wednesday elevated their relationship to a Special Strategic Partnership as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni held extensive talks in Rome. Read More

Why Rising Gold Prices Are Changing Spending Plans

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Indian families are buying less gold due to high prices. Wedding budgets are adjusted for practical financial comfort. Read More

Adnan Sami reacts to trolling over meeting RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat

Singer Adnan Sami has never shied away from speaking his mind, and the musician has once again addressed the trolling surrounding him with complete honesty. Read More

Trump Says He Could Be Israel PM, Claims Netanyahu ‘Will Do Whatever I Want’

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Trump claims 99% popularity in Israel, considers prime minister role. He expressed no urgency to finalize an Iran agreement. Read More

AIFF rejects licence applications of Mohun Bagan, Kerala Blasters; Seven clubs approved with sanctions

The All India Football Federation granted club licences with sanctions to seven ISL clubs for the 2026-27 season, while applications from Mohun Bagan Super Giant and Kerala Blasters FC were rejected. Read More

Related Articles