Sunday, February 22, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

US hiring plans hit 16-year low as labour market stagnates

US layoffs fell in September, but year-to-date hiring plans hit a 16-year low, signalling a slowing labour market. The government shutdown has stalled key economic data, deepening uncertainty as AI, trade policy and cost pressures reshape employment.

US layoffs declined in September, but year-to-date hiring plans were the weakest in 16 years, according to a report released Thursday by outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

The data points to a labour market slowdown, with both demand and supply of workers easing due to policy changes and technological shifts.

The report has gained significance as the ongoing US government shutdown has suspended key economic releases, including the September employment report that was scheduled for Friday.

This 15th shutdown since 1981 has already furloughed 750,000 federal workers and delayed the release of weekly jobless claims, August factory orders, and construction data. The trade report is also expected to be postponed.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Challenger, Gray & Christmas said planned job cuts dropped 37% month-on-month to 54,064 in September. Employers have so far this year announced 946,426 job cuts, the highest year-to-date since 2020.

Hiring plans so far this year have totaled 204,939, the lowest year-to-date since 2009 when the economy was just emerging from the Great Recession.LABOR MARKET IS STAGNATING

“Right now, we’re dealing with a stagnating labor market, cost increases and a transformative new technology,” said Andrew Challenger, senior vice president at Challenger, Gray & Christmas. “With rate cuts on the way, we may see some stabilizing in the fourth quarter, but other factors could keep employers planning layoffs or holding off hiring.”

The Federal Reserve resumed easing policy last month, cutting its benchmark overnight interest rate by 25 basis points to the 4.00%-4.25% range, to aid the labor market.

Economists say lingering uncertainty from President Donald Trump’s trade policy, immigration raids and the rise of artificial intelligence, have combined to reduce demand and labor supply. Nonfarm payroll gains averaged only 29,000 jobs per month in the three months to August compared to 82,000 during the same period last year.

Challenger said the government accounted for the bulk of planned layoffs, with 299,755 job cuts announced so far this year, part of an unprecedented campaign by the White House to reduce the federal workforce. Trump threatened to fire more federal workers if there was a shutdown.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The surge in AI is costing jobs in the technology sector, with companies in the industry announcing 107,878 layoffs so far this year. Challenger said AI was also making it difficult to land positions, particularly for entry-level engineers.

Should the shutdown persist into next week, September’s consumer price, retail sales, housing starts and producer inflation reports will probably not be published, impacting decision making by households, investors and policymakers.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Lionel Messi back to Barcelona? Club presidential candidate Victor Font promises legend’s return

Barcelona presidential candidate Victor Font has promised to bring Lionel Messi back to the club for a proper farewell in front of fans. He even proposed Honorary President role ahead of the March elections. Read More

From visas to Valley: Hindus most highly educated religious group in US, finds Pew study

Hindus and Jews in the United States are more likely to have a four-year college degree than Americans in other religious groups, a new analysis by the Pew Research Centre revealed. Read More

Self-styled ‘Queen of Canada’ Romana Didulo’s legal battle continues as hearing date rescheduled

Self-proclaimed “Queen of Canada” Romana Didulo faces a delayed preliminary hearing in Saskatchewan over charges of intimidation and breaching court conditions following a high-profile police raid on her group’s compound in Richmound Go to Source Read More

Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia Says Three Months Is Enough To Decide Marriage

Three months or three years? Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia challenges Western dating culture with her strict matchmaking philosophy. Read More

Namo Bharat, Meerut Metro Trains To Hit Tracks Today: Check Top Speed, Stoppages, Features

The integrated network is expected to cut travel time between Delhi and Meerut to around 55 minutes. Read More

Topics

Lionel Messi back to Barcelona? Club presidential candidate Victor Font promises legend’s return

Barcelona presidential candidate Victor Font has promised to bring Lionel Messi back to the club for a proper farewell in front of fans. He even proposed Honorary President role ahead of the March elections. Read More

From visas to Valley: Hindus most highly educated religious group in US, finds Pew study

Hindus and Jews in the United States are more likely to have a four-year college degree than Americans in other religious groups, a new analysis by the Pew Research Centre revealed. Read More

Self-styled ‘Queen of Canada’ Romana Didulo’s legal battle continues as hearing date rescheduled

Self-proclaimed “Queen of Canada” Romana Didulo faces a delayed preliminary hearing in Saskatchewan over charges of intimidation and breaching court conditions following a high-profile police raid on her group’s compound in Richmound Go to Source Read More

Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia Says Three Months Is Enough To Decide Marriage

Three months or three years? Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia challenges Western dating culture with her strict matchmaking philosophy. Read More

Namo Bharat, Meerut Metro Trains To Hit Tracks Today: Check Top Speed, Stoppages, Features

The integrated network is expected to cut travel time between Delhi and Meerut to around 55 minutes. Read More

India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup Rematch? All Scenarios Explained

India vs Pakistan rematch scenarios in T20 World Cup 2026: After India’s 61-run win over Pakistan in group stage, fans are eagerly looking for a second “Mother of all Battles” in ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026. Read More

UAE: Anonymous philanthropist donates AED35 million to fight child hunger

Anonymous philanthropist donates AED35 million to ‘Edge of Life’ campaign fighting childhood hunger/Representative Image An anonymous philanthropist has contributed AED35 million to the ‘Edge of Life’ campaign, a Ramadan Read More

Who Is Susan Rice? Trump Warns Netflix To Sack Board Member Over Remarks Against Him

Donald Trump called for Netflix to fire Susan Rice after she warned organisations, law firms of accountability if Democrats regain power. Read More

Related Articles