Monday, February 16, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

Ukraine allows young men aged 18-23 to fly abroad as Zelenskyy battles conscription dilemma

While Ukraine faces a shortage of soldiers fighting against Russia, it has eased its conscription law, allowing men between the ages of 18 and 22 to no longer be barred from leaving Ukraine. Here’s how it might affect the country’s military

While the Russia-Ukraine war continues to rage on, men between the ages of 18 and 22 will no longer be barred from leaving Ukraine under new regulations. The move eases the rule introduced in the early days of the Russian invasion to ensure the country had enough soldiers.

The ban on young men travelling out of the country took effect under Ukraine’s martial law, which was imposed in February 2022, soon after Russia commenced its invasion of Ukraine. The law applied to men from 80 to 60 years and also included those who are not yet eligible for the draft, which currently starts from age 25.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Now, under the new rule, which will go into effect on Thursday, men will be allowed to travel outside Ukraine until they reach the age of 23. Over the last three years, families in Ukraine have sent their teenage sons out of the country before they turned 18 to avoid conscription.

The change in law was announced on Tuesday by Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko. The move would allow young men to travel and study abroad without feeling that they had to leave to avoid the draft. “We want Ukrainians to maintain as many ties with Ukraine as possible,” she said.

Why Ukraine continues to keep its draft age high

For the first two years of the Russian invasion, men under the age of 27 were not obliged to fight in the war. However, things changed in 2024, when Ukraine reduced the draft age to 25 after facing pressure from its Western allies.

The move was needed since the casualties of Ukrainian troops were increasing significantly, causing a shortage of soldiers fighting the war. Last year, Serhiy Leshchenko, an adviser in the Ukrainian president’s office, said that American lawmakers from both parties are pressuring Ukraine to lower its conscription age further to 18.

However, Ukraine so far resisted such measures, pointing to the demographic trends stemming from a plunge in birthrates after the fall of the Soviet Union. Ukraine has relatively few men in their 20s, but most of the men in the country are in their 40s.

How will the move affect the country’s military?

The simple answer to this question is that it still remains unclear exactly how the change would affect conscription in the Ukrainian military. Many parents have been sending children abroad before they turn 18 because of concerns that the war could go on for years or the government could again lower the draft age.

Allowing young men to leave before they turn 23 rather than 18 seems to run against the American pressure on Ukraine. Many experts continue to raise concerns over the Ukrainian Army’s lack of manpower as the country’s greatest challenge in the war against Russia, which has a much bigger population.

“It’s hard for me to explain this from the perspective of waging a war of attrition,” Mykhailo Samus, the director of the independent New Geopolitics Research Network in Kyiv, told The New York Times. “Basically, this is the reduction in the size of the mobilisation reserve.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

But some experts believe that the change would not lead to an exodus of young men and might instead deepen their ties to Ukraine. It is important to note that under this rule, young men are still prohibited from leaving the country for two years before becoming eligible for the draft.

“The goal of this step is, first and foremost, to provide young Ukrainians with broader opportunities for education, internships and legal employment abroad, so that the experience they gain can later be used for the development of Ukraine,” Ihor Klymenko, the minister of internal affairs, wrote on Telegram. Hence, it will be interesting to see whether the change in rule would emerge as a boon or a bane for Ukraine.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Los Angeles flash flood warning: What residents need to know about upcoming storms

Los Angeles and much of Southern California are facing flash flood risks as a series of strong storms moves through the region, bringing heavy rain, thunderstorms and hazardous conditions. Read More

Cong disassociates, but Aiyar says unlike Rahul friends, he is with party

Mani Shankar Aiyar (File Photo) NEW DELHI: After Congress dissociated itself from Mani Shankar Aiyar following his prediction that the rival Left front will win in Kerala elections, the veteran hit back on Monday saying he remains Read More

From robots in healthcare to drones scanning crops, it’s India story at work

A visitor shakes hand with a robot on display at the summit NEW DELHI: The AI Impact Summit 2026 marks a shift in India’s AI story – from cloud-heavy, software-led narratives to physical, deployable AI embedded in machine Read More

India in talks with 30+ nations to curb AI misuse: Ashwini Vaishnaw

IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw NEW DELHI: Electronics and IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Monday said India is in discussions with ministers from over 30 countries to develop common technical and legal solutions to tackle the misuse Read More

India must use AI to make governance efficient, citizen-centric: Anthropic CEO

Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei BENGALURU: Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei said even as artificial intelligence technology produces great value, it will also bring big economic turmoil. Read More

Topics

Los Angeles flash flood warning: What residents need to know about upcoming storms

Los Angeles and much of Southern California are facing flash flood risks as a series of strong storms moves through the region, bringing heavy rain, thunderstorms and hazardous conditions. Read More

Cong disassociates, but Aiyar says unlike Rahul friends, he is with party

Mani Shankar Aiyar (File Photo) NEW DELHI: After Congress dissociated itself from Mani Shankar Aiyar following his prediction that the rival Left front will win in Kerala elections, the veteran hit back on Monday saying he remains Read More

From robots in healthcare to drones scanning crops, it’s India story at work

A visitor shakes hand with a robot on display at the summit NEW DELHI: The AI Impact Summit 2026 marks a shift in India’s AI story – from cloud-heavy, software-led narratives to physical, deployable AI embedded in machine Read More

India in talks with 30+ nations to curb AI misuse: Ashwini Vaishnaw

IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw NEW DELHI: Electronics and IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Monday said India is in discussions with ministers from over 30 countries to develop common technical and legal solutions to tackle the misuse Read More

India must use AI to make governance efficient, citizen-centric: Anthropic CEO

Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei BENGALURU: Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei said even as artificial intelligence technology produces great value, it will also bring big economic turmoil. Read More

Bertie Carvel REACTS to Baelor’s death in ‘AKOTSK’

Actor Bertie Carvel has opened up about portraying Prince Baelor “Breakspear” Targaryen and the pivotal moment in episode 4 and 5, when the prince volunteers to fight for Ser Duncan the Tall in ‘A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Read More

Neena Gupta says Vivian Richards agreed to her having Masaba

Veteran actor Neena Gupta has revealed that former West Indies cricketer Vivian Richards had agreed to her decision to have his child, but she chose not to take any financial assistance from him while raising their daughter, Masaba Read More

‘No one is entitled…’: Rubio doubles down on visa not a ‘privilege’ remark

US State Department has reiterated that visas are not a guaranteed right and can be taken away if foreign visitors act against America’s national interests, following remarks by secretary of state Marco Rubio during a visit to Hungar Read More

Related Articles