Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

South Korea to bring tattoos out of the shadows with a ‘medical act’ reform

With a new law in the making, South Korea is mainstreaming the country’s tattoo industry. A 1992 Supreme Court ruling had essentially driven it underground by ruling tattooing as a ‘medical act’ that threatened non-medical professionals engaged in the craft with hefty fines and even jail time.

Under a new law in the making, South Korea’s tattoo culture and associated industry is about to mainstream again.

In 1992, a Supreme Court ruling had declared tattooing as ‘medical’ work and barred non-medical personnel from engaging in tattooing. The ruling essentially drove South Korea’s tattooing industry underground. But now a new bill passed by lawmakers, the Tattooist Act, may change that.

Under the law, both tattoos and semi-permanent makeup are defined as “tattooing acts” and will licenced professionals will be allowed to practice the craft without the Supreme Court-mandated medical professionals’ requirement, according to Yonhap news agency.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

However, tattoo removal by non-medical professionals and tattooing of minors without parental consent will remain barred under the new law.

The law also seeks to settle one irony that had plagued South Korea for over three decades — it was never illegal to get a tattoo but it was essentially illegal to get a tattoo as tattoo artists were required to be medical professionals.

South Korea’s booming —but underground— tattoo industry

To be clear, the tattoo culture never faded in South Korea. Plenty of people got inked but the process took place in underground studios hidden in lanes or basements of buildings. But now, after President Lee Jae Myung will sign the bill into law in the coming days, those studious are set to go mainstream.

“Now we can be proud of what we do for a living and work in spaces with large windows like hair salons. We may have to renovate the studio and retrain our artists to meet those requirements [hygiene and safety], but it will be worth it,” Heo Jun-ho, who runs a tattoo parlour in Seoul, told The New York Times.

Even though the Supreme Court mandated standards that essentially banned the tattooing industry, there were around 350,000 tattoo artists in South Korea as of 2021 by one estimate, according to BBC News.

Most of these artists specialised in semi-permanent make-up for lips, eyebrows, or hairlines, and relatively few of these had any medical qualifications and instead, most come from art or beauty backgrounds like elsewhere in the world, the report said.

Historically, tattoos in South Korea had been controversial and carried a baggage in modern times. Conservatives linked tattoos to delinquency and, for centuries in the medieval era, people were forcibly given tattoos on their face or arms listing their crimes or branding them as slaves, as per The Times.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

However, over the past many years, South Korean pop culture —k-pop— has normalised tattoos to an extent. And the acceptance has been on the rise.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Topics

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Nita Ambani’s Handwoven Banarasi Butidar Suit Celebrates India’s Rich Textile Heritage

Crafted in luxurious Katan silk using the intricate Kadwa technique, each motif in this Butidar design was individually woven by master artisans Haji Nafees Ahmad and Naseem Ahmad. Read More

2 Indians die on Everest after summiting; 3rd critical at South Col

Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to Camp 4 from Camp 3 on their way to ascend Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, also known as the Everest region. Read More

Twisha death case: Accused husband’s surrender, CCTV question and angry lawyer – key points

– NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willin Read More

Related Articles