Tuesday, February 17, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

Israel informed US ahead of strikes on Hamas leaders in Doha, says White House

Israel notified the United States in advance of its airstrikes targeting senior Hamas leaders in Doha, a White House official said on Tuesday

Israel notified the United States in advance of its airstrikes targeting senior Hamas leaders in Doha, a White House official said on Tuesday.

“We were informed in advance,” AFP quoted the official as saying, referring to the strike on Qatar, a key US ally in the region and host to a major American military base.

Qatar, a key mediator in ongoing efforts to broker a truce in Gaza, said Tuesday that Israeli airstrikes targeted the residences of several senior Hamas political bureau members based in the Gulf state.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The strikes, reportedly carried out jointly by the Israel Defense Forces and the Shin Bet security agency, came as Hamas officials were believed to be meeting in Doha to discuss a new ceasefire proposal.

“Yesterday, following the deadly attacks in Jerusalem and Gaza, Prime Minister Netanyahu instructed all security agencies to prepare for the possibility of targeting Hamas leaders,” said a joint statement from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Israel Katz.

“Today at noon (0900 GMT), in light of an operational opportunity… the prime minister and the defence minister decided to implement the directive given last night.”

The strikes followed a deadly shooting in Jerusalem on Monday that killed six people and was claimed by Hamas.

While Israeli officials and local media have not confirmed whether the intended Hamas targets were hit, a Hamas official in Gaza told AFP the group’s negotiators had been “targeted.” However, it remains unclear if any casualties occurred.

Hamas has yet to issue an official statement on the fate of its senior leadership in Qatar.

Among the high-ranking Hamas officials believed to be based in Doha are lead negotiator Khalil al-Hayya and political bureau chief Khaled Meshaal.

“Today at noon, in light of an operational opportunity… the prime minister and the defence minister decided to implement the directive given last night.”

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

US military strikes three alleged drug-trafficking boats, killing 11 people

The US military struck three alleged drug-trafficking vessels in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean on Monday night, killing all 11 people on board, US Southern Command said Tuesday. Read More

Telugu actress Pratyusha suicide case: SC upholds boyfriend’s conviction

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Holding that the surviving partner in a mutual suicide pact has to be punished for abetment, SC Tuesday upheld conviction of boyfriend of Telugu actress Pratyusha in her death case in 2002 as both of them ha Read More

Defence NOC clears way for Andrabi’s sentencing

Aasiya Andrabi NEW DELHI: The procedural limbo over who will pronounce the sentence against Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi and two aides in a 2018 terror conspiracy case narrowed Tuesday after the defence submitted in writing th Read More

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Topics

US military strikes three alleged drug-trafficking boats, killing 11 people

The US military struck three alleged drug-trafficking vessels in the eastern Pacific and Caribbean on Monday night, killing all 11 people on board, US Southern Command said Tuesday. Read More

Telugu actress Pratyusha suicide case: SC upholds boyfriend’s conviction

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Holding that the surviving partner in a mutual suicide pact has to be punished for abetment, SC Tuesday upheld conviction of boyfriend of Telugu actress Pratyusha in her death case in 2002 as both of them ha Read More

Defence NOC clears way for Andrabi’s sentencing

Aasiya Andrabi NEW DELHI: The procedural limbo over who will pronounce the sentence against Kashmiri separatist Aasiya Andrabi and two aides in a 2018 terror conspiracy case narrowed Tuesday after the defence submitted in writing th Read More

Dallas becoming ‘Dallaspuram’: Indian festival video from Texas resurfaces amid H-1B visa row, MAGA responds

A viral social media post claiming Dallas is being turned into “Dallaspuram” has stirred a row over immigration and H1B visas after old festival footage resurfaced online. Read More

Did Kai Cenat unfollow Ray on Instagram? Social media move sparks fan speculation online

Kai Cenat (Image Via Getty) Rumors about Kai Cenat and Ray started spreading fast after social media posts claimed the popular streamer had unfollowed his friend and removed him from the Clover Boyz group. Read More

Amid Nuclear Talks, Iran Signals Openness To Verification As US Military Build-Up Heightens Tensions

Tehran’s verification signal comes as negotiators agree on guiding principles while Washington increases military pressure in the region. Read More

Top Trump aide Tricia McLaughlin to leave DHS — Has Trump’s immigration crackdown gone too far?

One of the most outspoken faces of Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown is stepping down, raising questions about internal rift in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Read More

NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP

Great Nicobar project NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. Read More

Related Articles