Sunday, February 22, 2026
20.1 C
New Delhi

Israel demands retraction of Gaza famine report, calls findings ‘deeply flawed’

Israel asked a global hunger monitor on Wednesday to retract an assessment that found that Gaza City and surrounding areas are suffering from famine and that it will likely spread, dismissing the report as “deeply flawed”.

Israel on Wednesday urged a leading global hunger monitoring body to withdraw its assessment that parts of Gaza are already in famine, rejecting the findings as biased and inaccurate.

The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) said last week that around 514,000 Palestinians, nearly a quarter of Gaza’s population are facing famine conditions with the figure projected to climb to 641,000 by the end of September.

Israel, which has consistently denied such assessments throughout the nearly two-year conflict in Gaza, accused the report of favouring Hamas. The Foreign Ministry’s director general, Eden Bar Tal, wrote to the IPC on Wednesday demanding that the report be retracted pending a full review.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“The report is deeply flawed, unprofessional, and gravely missing the standards expected from an international body entrusted with such a serious responsibility,” he wrote.

His letter said the IPC had departed from its own standards and rules, adding there were indications data was made up, cherry-picked or ignored.

”We expect the IPC to conduct an urgent and transparent review of this report that will address methodological breaches and avoid misleading the international community, the public and policymakers,” he wrote.

The IPC had no immediate comment on the Israeli letter.

The IPC – an initiative involving 21 aid groups, U.N. agencies and regional organizations funded by Britain, Canada, the European Union and Germany – has registered famines four times in the past – in Somalia in 2011, South Sudan in 2017 and 2020 and in Sudan in 2024.

Bar Tal said that if a new report were not presented within two weeks, Israel would continue to challenge the assessment and would ask the IPC’s donors to halt their financial support.

Many European governments and international organisations have urged Israel to allow more access to humanitarian aid in Gaza.

The Israeli military’s chief of staff, Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir, met on Wednesday with the U.N. World Food Programme’s executive director, Cindy McCain. A military statement said he emphasized Israel’s commitment to preventing famine and enabling humanitarian aid to reach Gazans.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The Gaza health ministry said on Wednesday 10 more people had died of malnutrition and starvation, raising deaths from such causes to 313 people, including 119 children, since the Gaza war started in October 2023.

Israel disputes death tolls issued by the health ministry in the Hamas-run enclave.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Air India cancels all New York and Newark flights as ‘super bomb’ winter storm hits Northeast US

Air India has cancelled all flights to and from New York and Newark on Monday due to a severe winter storm forecast to bring heavy snow and strong winds across the US Northeast. Read More

In Mann Ki Baat, PM Modi salutes infant organ donor, urges nation to embrace gift of life

Photo credit: PTI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday used the 131st episode of his monthly radio programme Mann Ki Baat to highlight the power of organ donation, sharing the story of a one-year-old from Kerala whose p Read More

‘Women, children killed’: India strongly condemns Pakistani strikes in Afghanistan during Ramadan

(AP photo) NEW DELHI: India on Sunday strongly condemned Pakistan’s overnight airstrikes on neighbouring Afghanistan during the holy month of Ramadan. Read More

‘India Values Its Deep, Enduring Friendship With Israel’: PM Modi Tells Netanyahu Ahead Of Visit

PM Modi thanked Benjamin Netanyahu for calling his upcoming Israel visit ‘historic’ and said he looks forward to discussions to further strengthen bilateral ties. Read More

Rashmika-Vijay officially announce ‘The wedding of VIROSH’

Rashmika Mandanna and Vijay Deverakonda have finally announced their upcoming nuptials on social media.In a heartfelt announcement, Rashmika and Vijay revealed that their wedding will officially be known as “The Wedding of VIROSH. Read More

Topics

Air India cancels all New York and Newark flights as ‘super bomb’ winter storm hits Northeast US

Air India has cancelled all flights to and from New York and Newark on Monday due to a severe winter storm forecast to bring heavy snow and strong winds across the US Northeast. Read More

In Mann Ki Baat, PM Modi salutes infant organ donor, urges nation to embrace gift of life

Photo credit: PTI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday used the 131st episode of his monthly radio programme Mann Ki Baat to highlight the power of organ donation, sharing the story of a one-year-old from Kerala whose p Read More

‘Women, children killed’: India strongly condemns Pakistani strikes in Afghanistan during Ramadan

(AP photo) NEW DELHI: India on Sunday strongly condemned Pakistan’s overnight airstrikes on neighbouring Afghanistan during the holy month of Ramadan. Read More

‘India Values Its Deep, Enduring Friendship With Israel’: PM Modi Tells Netanyahu Ahead Of Visit

PM Modi thanked Benjamin Netanyahu for calling his upcoming Israel visit ‘historic’ and said he looks forward to discussions to further strengthen bilateral ties. Read More

Rashmika-Vijay officially announce ‘The wedding of VIROSH’

Rashmika Mandanna and Vijay Deverakonda have finally announced their upcoming nuptials on social media.In a heartfelt announcement, Rashmika and Vijay revealed that their wedding will officially be known as “The Wedding of VIROSH. Read More

Alia Bhatt channels Marilyn Monroe at first BAFTAs appearance

Alia Bhatt made her debut at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards, presenting Best Film Not in the English Language, and turned heads with a look inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Read More

Who was Austin Tucker Martin? 21‑year‑old man fatally shot after entering Mar‑a‑Lago security area

A 21-year-old man identified as Austin Tucker Martin was shot and killed on Sunday after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, the Florida estate and private club owned by US President Donald Trump. Read More

‘Effort to create alliance against radical outfits’: Netanyahu says PM Modi’s Israel visit to strengthen ties

PM Modi will visit Israel from February 25, a trip Netanyahu said will strengthen economic, diplomatic, and security cooperation. Read More

Related Articles