Saturday, May 23, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

In US for UNGA, Yunus blames India for everything he can: Hasina to Islamic radicals in Bangladesh

Bangladesh’s Interim Chief Advisor Muhammad Yunus used his visit to the United States to slam India’s backing of the country’s former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina

Bangladesh’s Interim Chief Advisor Muhammad Yunus used his visit to the United States to slam India’s backing of the country’s former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. On Wednesday, Yunus said that Dhaka’s ties with New Delhi were strained because India did not like the 2024 uprising that ultimately toppled the Hasina government.

“They (India) are hosting Hasina, who created all these problems and killed young people,” Yunus said during his visit to New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly. He went on to allege that “lots of fake news is emanating from the other side (India)”.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

It is pertient to note that the Bangladeshi interim government has accused Hasina of committing “crimes against humanity” to quell the uprising against her government during July-Aug last year. It even requested India to extradite her. However, New Delhi has not shared any response on the matter.

Yunus pushes the same rhetoric

In a separate meeting with Finnish President Alexander Stubb on the sidelines of the event, Yunus said that the trials of “ Hasina and her cronies are a top priority of his government”. Yunus went on to describe reports of rising Islamic fundamentalism in Bangladesh as ‘fake news’.

Yunus also used the platform to push for the revival of Saarc. The interim chief laid emphasis on the need to ensure regional cooperation on the economic front.

However, he also emphasised that there are “problems with India right now because they did not like what the students have done in Bangladesh. And that creates a lot of tension between the two nations,” he said at a conversation hosted by Asia Society and Asia Society Policy Institute.

The Nobel laureate also blamed India for the fading away of Saarc since 2014. “We wanted to bring this together so that young people can get in touch with each other – all regions, not just one country, all the countries – they can visit each other, make friends with each other, study in universities, colleges, wherever they are, and they can do business in each other’s countries. That was the whole idea,” Yunus said.

“Our history gives us the opportunity to make that happen, but somehow it didn’t fit into the politics of one country, so we had to stop that. So, we feel very sorry for that. We want to make sure that we open it up and bring people together,” he added. India is yet to respond to Yunus’s latest attention.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Djokovic explains decision to steer clear of French Open media boycott amid prize money row: ‘I’m not part of that’

Novak Djokovic opens up on his decision to opt against the players’ media boycott during the 2026 French Open tournament as ongoing Grand Slam pay dispute intensifies. Read More

PM Modi holds talks with Rubio during US Secretary’s maiden India visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio met Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his maiden India visit, with Quad talks, regional tensions and energy cooperation high on the agenda Go to Source Read More

Marco Rubio Holds Key Talks With PM Modi At Sewa Teerth On First Day Of India Visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets PM Narendra Modi in New Delhi on his first India visit as top US diplomat, with talks on trade, energy, QUAD and Russian oil imports. Read More

Rubio Kickstarts Process | Can Quad Be Re-Energised? | The Hard Facts With Rahul Shivshankar

As US Secretary of State Marco Rubio initiates fresh diplomatic engagement, questions are being raised over the future of the Quad alliance and its strategic relevance in the Indo-Pacific. Read More

‘Donald Trump’ Buffalo To Be Sacrificed On Eid-al-Adha Despite Viral Fame In Bangladesh

The nearly 700-kg buffalo, raised in Narayanganj, gained the nickname “Donald Trump” because of the blond tuft of hair on its forehead Go to Source Read More

Topics

Djokovic explains decision to steer clear of French Open media boycott amid prize money row: ‘I’m not part of that’

Novak Djokovic opens up on his decision to opt against the players’ media boycott during the 2026 French Open tournament as ongoing Grand Slam pay dispute intensifies. Read More

PM Modi holds talks with Rubio during US Secretary’s maiden India visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio met Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his maiden India visit, with Quad talks, regional tensions and energy cooperation high on the agenda Go to Source Read More

Marco Rubio Holds Key Talks With PM Modi At Sewa Teerth On First Day Of India Visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets PM Narendra Modi in New Delhi on his first India visit as top US diplomat, with talks on trade, energy, QUAD and Russian oil imports. Read More

Rubio Kickstarts Process | Can Quad Be Re-Energised? | The Hard Facts With Rahul Shivshankar

As US Secretary of State Marco Rubio initiates fresh diplomatic engagement, questions are being raised over the future of the Quad alliance and its strategic relevance in the Indo-Pacific. Read More

‘Donald Trump’ Buffalo To Be Sacrificed On Eid-al-Adha Despite Viral Fame In Bangladesh

The nearly 700-kg buffalo, raised in Narayanganj, gained the nickname “Donald Trump” because of the blond tuft of hair on its forehead Go to Source Read More

Posed As House Help, Won Trust, Then Looted: Guwahati Couple Held For Robbing Several Families

The modus operandi of the accused has triggered panic among residents. Read More

RCB Top IPL Table After 15 Years! Here’s How Many Times They’ve Finished No.1

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom RCB finishes IPL 2026 league stage at top spot. This is first time in 15 years they topped standings. Rajat Patidar captained a balanced, consistent campaign. Read More

‘404 Democracy Not Found’: ‘Cockroach Janta Party’ Website Taken Down, Founder Calls Move ‘Dictatorial’

The “Cockroach Janta Party”, which has been making massive waves across social media, had its “iconic website” taken down by the government on Saturday, prompting founder Abhijeet Dipke to slam the move as “dictatorial Read More

Related Articles