Thursday, February 19, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

In Trump’s presence, Netanyahu apologises to Qatari PM for airstrike in Doha

The apology was delivered during a phone call between Netanyahu and Al Thani, made from the White House, where Netanyahu is being hosted by US President Donald Trump, according to a report

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday formally apologised to Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani for an Israeli airstrike in Doha on September 9 that killed a Qatari security guard and several low-ranking Hamas members.

According to Israel’s Channel 12 report, the apology was delivered during a phone call between Netanyahu and Al Thani, made from the White House, where Netanyahu is being hosted by US President Donald Trump. Trump was reportedly also on the call.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

A foreign diplomat familiar with the conversation confirmed to The Times of Israel that Netanyahu expressed regret for the incident, specifically apologising for the violation of Qatari sovereignty.

The Channel 12 report also noted that Israel may offer financial compensation to the family of the Qatari guard killed in the strike.

According to CNN, citing an Israeli source, Netanyahu did not, however, say he was sorry for targeting Hamas.

Meanwhile, Axios reported that the apology call was a key Qatari condition for resuming its mediation with Hamas over a deal to end the war in Gaza and free the remaining hostages.

Confirming the development, White House said Prime Minister Netanyahu expressed regret for an Israeli attack in Doha to Qatar’s leader in a three-way call with President Trump.

The White House said Netanyahu also expressed regret for Israel violating Qatari sovereignty and “affirmed that Israel will not conduct such an attack again in the future.”

“The leaders discussed a proposal for ending the war in Gaza, prospects for a more secure Middle East, and the need for greater understanding between their countries,” Reuters quoted the White House as saying.

The apology from Netanyahu is seen as a crucial step in efforts to finalise a deal to end the war in Gaza and secure the release of all remaining hostages, according to the Channel 12 report.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Qatar had suspended its mediation role with Hamas following the Israeli airstrike in Doha, which targeted — but failed to eliminate — senior Hamas leaders. The strike also killed a Qatari security guard, further straining diplomatic channels.

Channel 12 further claimed that Qatar has privately signaled to the United States that it could persuade Hamas to accept the demilitarisation of Gaza — an element viewed as essential by Israel for any long-term resolution.

The outlet also reported that President Trump, in a separate call with Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani prior to Netanyahu’s White House visit, emphasised the importance of Arab and Muslim nations publicly backing the proposed ceasefire deal.

Trump reportedly told the emir that despite recent revisions aligning the plan more closely with Israeli positions, he expects public endorsements from the eight Arab and Muslim leaders he met with last week.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Sea Cucumber Is Neither Fruit Nor Vegetable. So What Is It?

Not a fruit or vegetable, but a marine animal, this ocean oddity is prized on dinner plates and honoured in age-old traditions – do you know all about it? Read More

India vs Pakistan In Super 8s? T20 WC 2026 Scenario Explained

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom India vs Pakistan Super 8 match: T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 format is designed with two separate groups based on pre-tournament seedings. Read More

Breaking News: Suspicious Car Found Behind Red Fort, Fake NIA ID Recovered

A major security alert was reported in Delhi after a suspicious black **Hyundai Santro car was found parked behind the Red Fort. Two men were sitting inside the vehicle when police conducted a routine security check. Read More

Zuckerberg called Tim Cook about teen safety: What happened next?

Mark Zuckerberg Called Apple CEO Tim Cook About Teen Safety: What Happened Next? Read More

Runway To Red Carpet: Priyanka Chopra Redefines Glamour With Gaurav Gupta’s Contemporary Sari-Inspired Gown

Priyanka Chopra wore a yellow Gaurav Gupta sari for The Bluff promotions, showcasing Indian fashion’s growing global influence. Read More

Topics

Sea Cucumber Is Neither Fruit Nor Vegetable. So What Is It?

Not a fruit or vegetable, but a marine animal, this ocean oddity is prized on dinner plates and honoured in age-old traditions – do you know all about it? Read More

India vs Pakistan In Super 8s? T20 WC 2026 Scenario Explained

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom India vs Pakistan Super 8 match: T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8 format is designed with two separate groups based on pre-tournament seedings. Read More

Breaking News: Suspicious Car Found Behind Red Fort, Fake NIA ID Recovered

A major security alert was reported in Delhi after a suspicious black **Hyundai Santro car was found parked behind the Red Fort. Two men were sitting inside the vehicle when police conducted a routine security check. Read More

Zuckerberg called Tim Cook about teen safety: What happened next?

Mark Zuckerberg Called Apple CEO Tim Cook About Teen Safety: What Happened Next? Read More

Runway To Red Carpet: Priyanka Chopra Redefines Glamour With Gaurav Gupta’s Contemporary Sari-Inspired Gown

Priyanka Chopra wore a yellow Gaurav Gupta sari for The Bluff promotions, showcasing Indian fashion’s growing global influence. Read More

Why Newborn Skin Deserves Attention & Nutrition: The Science Of Early Baby Skin Care

After birth, your baby’s skin must quickly start managing key functions such as thermoregulation, moisture retention, and defence against external agents. Read More

Bhumi Pednekar Channels Desi Bridgerton Vibes In Lavender Flowy Lehenga

Bhumi Pednekar stuns in a lavender flowy lehenga at a wedding, serving soft, romantic Desi Bridgerton vibes with effortless charm. Read More

Juicy Couture hits the road with first auto accessories collection

LA lifestyle brand Juicy Couture is hitting the road with its first fashion-inspired auto accessories collection, available exclusively at car-centric retailer Supercheap Auto across Australia and New Zealand. Read More

Related Articles