Monday, May 18, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

UK To Suspend Visas For Nations Refusing To Take Back Illegal Migrants, Warns New Home Sec

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Her comments follow a proposal from Reform UK, which pledged to deport 600,000 people over five years.

font

Mahmood is expected to announce further measures this week, including relocating asylum seekers (Reuters)

Mahmood is expected to announce further measures this week, including relocating asylum seekers (Reuters)

Britain’s Newly appointed Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood has warned that the UK government will consider suspending visas for countries that refuse to take back their citizens who have entered the country illegally. The warning came just three days after Mahmood assumed her post, signalling an aggressive new stance on illegal immigration.

Setting out her approach, Mahmood pledged to go “further and faster” than her predecessor Yvette Cooper and vowed to do “whatever it takes” to stop small boat crossings across the English Channel.

Recommended Stories

“I’m not the sort of person that hangs around,” she said, underscoring her urgency in tackling the issue.

She condemned the “utterly unacceptable” number of migrants arriving in small boats, after Channel crossings this year exceeded 30,000 in record time. The Home Secretary revealed she had already held discussions with the UK’s “Five Eyes” allies, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States, about the potential use of visa suspensions to pressure non-cooperative countries into accepting deported nationals. During her meetings, Mahmood also spoke with Donald Trump’s secretary of homeland security, Kristi Noem.

Her comments follow a proposal from Reform UK, which pledged to deport 600,000 people over five years, partly by leveraging visa policies to enforce returns agreements. The UK currently has such agreements in place with countries including India, Pakistan, Albania, Iraq, Nigeria, Vietnam, and Somalia, among others. A recent agreement was also reached with France, though its future remains uncertain amid political instability.

Mahmood stressed, “There has to be a strong approach to maintaining our border, and that does mean saying to countries who do not take their citizens back that we’re not simply going to allow our laws to remain unenforced.”

She also said ministers are reviewing domestic legislation and guidance related to the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), arguing the current “balance” between protecting human rights and securing borders “isn’t in the right place at the moment.” While she voiced support for ID cards, she declined to confirm whether they would be made compulsory to manage immigration.

Additionally, Mahmood is expected to announce further measures this week, including relocating asylum seekers from hotels to military barracks, a move anticipated after a summer of growing protests over migration.

News world UK To Suspend Visas For Nations Refusing To Take Back Illegal Migrants, Warns New Home Sec
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump Says ‘Very Good Chance’ Of Nuclear Deal, After Delaying Strikes On Iran

Donald Trump says there is a very good chance of a US Iran nuclear deal, reveals he delayed a planned military strike after Gulf leaders urged more time for negotiations. Read More

AIADMK veteran Semmalai quits, ex-DMK min PTR takes a break

CHENNAI: Signs of unrest within Dravidian majors after the recent Tamil Nadu assembly poll debacle intensified Monday, even as DMK president MK Stalin and AIADMK chief Edappadi K Palaniswami (EPS) assured cadres the two parties woul Read More

India now Naxal-free: HM

Home minister Amit Shah on Monday said the Union govt would do whatever it takes for the region to recoup the loss of over five decades worth of development in three to five years. Read More

Anti-Naxal security camps turn ‘seva deras’ in Bastar

JAGDALPUR: With Left-wing extremism (LWE) crushed, the camps set up by the security forces in the remote Bastar region to run anti-Naxal operations are being repurposed to serve the local population with doorstep delivery of a range o Read More

On Prabhakaran death anniv, Vijay backs SL Tamils’ rights

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu chief minister C Joseph Vijay on Monday expressed solidarity with the global Tamil diaspora on the occasion of Mullivaikkal Remembrance Day. Read More

Topics

Trump Says ‘Very Good Chance’ Of Nuclear Deal, After Delaying Strikes On Iran

Donald Trump says there is a very good chance of a US Iran nuclear deal, reveals he delayed a planned military strike after Gulf leaders urged more time for negotiations. Read More

AIADMK veteran Semmalai quits, ex-DMK min PTR takes a break

CHENNAI: Signs of unrest within Dravidian majors after the recent Tamil Nadu assembly poll debacle intensified Monday, even as DMK president MK Stalin and AIADMK chief Edappadi K Palaniswami (EPS) assured cadres the two parties woul Read More

India now Naxal-free: HM

Home minister Amit Shah on Monday said the Union govt would do whatever it takes for the region to recoup the loss of over five decades worth of development in three to five years. Read More

Anti-Naxal security camps turn ‘seva deras’ in Bastar

JAGDALPUR: With Left-wing extremism (LWE) crushed, the camps set up by the security forces in the remote Bastar region to run anti-Naxal operations are being repurposed to serve the local population with doorstep delivery of a range o Read More

On Prabhakaran death anniv, Vijay backs SL Tamils’ rights

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu chief minister C Joseph Vijay on Monday expressed solidarity with the global Tamil diaspora on the occasion of Mullivaikkal Remembrance Day. Read More

Ex-min faces FIR over Messi’s Kolkata event

Based on a complaint by Lionel Messi’s India tour organiser, Satadru Dutta, an FIR was filed on Monday against Bengal’s former sports minister Aroop Biswas, ex-DGP Rajeev Kumar, New Alipore councillor Juin Biswas, and IAS officer Sant Read More

Govinda’s security gets into altercation with fan; actor apologises

Govinda just proved to fans why he is the ultimate “Hero No. 1”.The actor has gone viral on social media after a video of him stepping in to save the day has gone viral online. Read More

US pharma co denied patent on hepatitis C combo therapy

. NEW DELHI: The Indian Patent Office has refused to grant a patent to US pharmaceutical firm AbbVie on its Hepatitis C combination therapy glecaprevir/pibrentasvir, marketed globally as Mavyret. Read More

Related Articles