Sunday, May 24, 2026
42.1 C
New Delhi

UK Officer Tapped To Lead Multinational Ukraine Force As Peace Push Stalls

Curated By :

Last Updated:

UK Ministry of Defence appoints Army officer to lead Multinational Force Ukraine in Kyiv, as Ukraine and Russia escalate attacks and Trump-Putin peace talks remain uncertain.

font

File photo of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky during a press conference in Kyiv. (Image: AFP)

File photo of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky during a press conference in Kyiv. (Image: AFP)

In a major development reflecting deepening Western military support for Ukraine, the UK Ministry of Defence has confirmed that a Army two-star officer has been appointed to lead the headquarters of the newly established Multinational Force Ukraine (MNF-U) in Kyiv, according to UK Defence Journal.

The move underscores the UK’s continued commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and defence, amid ongoing Russian aggression. The MNF-U is a coalition effort aimed at strengthening coordination, training, logistics, and strategic military support to Ukrainian forces.

Recommended Stories

“The MNF-U will bolster Ukraine’s ability to return to peace and stability by supporting the regeneration of Ukraine’s own forces. Strong Ukrainian armed forces is the best way to deter Russia – and ensure the country is able to rebuild a thriving economy and attract international investment,” a press release by UK government read.

Ukraine And Russia Escalate Attacks

Meanwhile, the situation remains tense as both Ukraine and Russia continue to attack each other. Ukraine launched a series of deep strikes on Russian oil refineries over the past week, intensifying pressure on Russia’s fuel infrastructure and worsening domestic petrol shortages. The attacks have prompted Moscow to extend its ban on petroleum product exports in an effort to stabilize its internal supply.

Russia retaliated by carrying out a deadly missile strike on Kyiv and unleashed a wave of statements framing its military campaign as a success. Kremlin officials doubled down on claims that Ukraine is nearing collapse, despite continued Ukrainian resistance and mounting Western support.

The sharp escalation marks another turn in the grinding conflict, with both sides now targeting critical infrastructure and ramping up battlefield operations.

As several countries have pushed for a peace deal between the two nations multiple times, the recent effort by US President Donald Trump to persuade Russian President Vladimir Putin to end the war in Ukraine, during the Alaska summit last month did not yield any fruitful result.

Putin, Trump May Meet Soon To Discuss Ukraine War

It is learnt that the two leaders could meet again soon for a peace deal. Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, could meet again in the near future, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.

In an interview with Russian news outlet Argumenty i Fakty, Peskov asserted that a meeting could be arranged soon if both Presidents feel it is needed.

Kremlin further said that Trump’s deal-making approach to diplomacy is “quite cynical”, but in a positive sense. Peskov contrasted Trump’s position with that of European countries, which, he said, were doing everything they could to hinder a peaceful settlement of the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war.

About the Author

authorimg
Manisha Roy

Manisha Roy is a Senior Sub-Editor at News18.com’s general desk. She comes with an experience of over 5 years in media industry. She covers politics and other hard news. She can be contacted at Manisha.Roy@nw18…Read More

Manisha Roy is a Senior Sub-Editor at News18.com’s general desk. She comes with an experience of over 5 years in media industry. She covers politics and other hard news. She can be contacted at Manisha.Roy@nw18… Read More

News world UK Officer Tapped To Lead Multinational Ukraine Force As Peace Push Stalls
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

UK teen rape victim says judge’s ruling felt ‘like a rock in my face’ after three boys spared jail

UK teen rape victim criticises judge’s decision after three boys spared jail. Read More

France bans far-right Israeli minister Ben-Gvir after Gaza flotilla video sparks outrage

The Israeli minister shared videos allegedly mocking pro-Palestinian activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, triggering international criticism and calls within Europe for sanctions against the far-right Israeli minister. Read More

Iran Says Hormuz Traffic To Return To Pre-War Levels In 30 Days; US Hints At ‘Good News’ | Top Points

The reported agreement between the US and Iran includes a 60-day ceasefire extension, during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened. Read More

Russia Confirms Using Nuclear-Capable Oreshnik Missile On Ukraine, EU Calls Move Reckless

Ukraine said Russia launched 55 missiles and hundreds of drones overnight. Air defence systems intercepted most of the incoming weapons, but several targets were still hit. Read More

39-Year-Old Killed In Shark Attack In Queensland, 3rd In Australia This Year

A 39-year-old man died after a shark attack at Kennedy Shoal in Far North Queensland, the third such attack in Australia this year. Read More

Topics

UK teen rape victim says judge’s ruling felt ‘like a rock in my face’ after three boys spared jail

UK teen rape victim criticises judge’s decision after three boys spared jail. Read More

France bans far-right Israeli minister Ben-Gvir after Gaza flotilla video sparks outrage

The Israeli minister shared videos allegedly mocking pro-Palestinian activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, triggering international criticism and calls within Europe for sanctions against the far-right Israeli minister. Read More

Iran Says Hormuz Traffic To Return To Pre-War Levels In 30 Days; US Hints At ‘Good News’ | Top Points

The reported agreement between the US and Iran includes a 60-day ceasefire extension, during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened. Read More

Russia Confirms Using Nuclear-Capable Oreshnik Missile On Ukraine, EU Calls Move Reckless

Ukraine said Russia launched 55 missiles and hundreds of drones overnight. Air defence systems intercepted most of the incoming weapons, but several targets were still hit. Read More

39-Year-Old Killed In Shark Attack In Queensland, 3rd In Australia This Year

A 39-year-old man died after a shark attack at Kennedy Shoal in Far North Queensland, the third such attack in Australia this year. Read More

GK: From Gadha To Har**z*da, India’s Strangest Mango Names Explained

India grows hundreds of mango varieties, but these rare regional favourites stand out for their bizarre names, royal origins and distinctive taste profiles. Read More

Offbeat Hill Stations In South India To Visit With Children Under Rs.25K

Article highlights budget friendly family trips to offbeat South India hill stations Kotagiri, Araku Valley, Vagamon, Yelagiri and Coorg, with 3 day costs around 15000 to 25000 Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

BJP Sweeps Bengal’s Falta Too: 4 Reasons Why Sinking In ‘Safe’ Diamond Harbour Will Hurt TMC The Most

BJP wins Falta assembly constituency: Losing a TMC bastion and “safe seat” to the BJP indicates a deep shift in voter sentiment, say experts Go to Source Read More

Related Articles