Wednesday, February 18, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Trump Administration Halts Visas For Foreign Truck Drivers Citing Safety Concerns

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Most foreign truck drivers in the U.S. are employed under the H-2B visa program.

Click to add News18 as a preferred source on Google
font

The crackdown on foreign drivers follows a broader pattern of immigration and public safety measures (AP Image)

The crackdown on foreign drivers follows a broader pattern of immigration and public safety measures (AP Image)

The Trump administration has announced a pause on the issuance of worker visas for foreign commercial truck drivers, according to Secretary of State Marco Rubio. The decision, made effective immediately, was announced Thursday and is being justified as a public safety measure.

“Effective immediately we are pausing all issuance of worker visas for commercial truck drivers. The increasing number of foreign drivers operating large tractor-trailer trucks on US roads is endangering American lives and undercutting the livelihoods of American truckers,” Rubio stated in a post on X (formerly Twitter).

Recommended Stories

Rubio did not clarify how long the visa freeze would remain in effect. The current fiscal year, which typically governs visa quotas, ends on September 30. Most foreign truck drivers in the US are employed under the H-2B visa program, a non-immigrant visa that allows employers to bring foreign workers for temporary non-agricultural jobs.

The visa suspension comes just days after a fatal highway crash in Florida involving Harjinder Singh, a commercial truck driver. Singh was accused of making an illegal U-turn that resulted in multiple deaths approximately 50 miles north of West Palm Beach. The Department of Homeland Security later revealed that Singh was in the US illegally and was arrested on three counts of vehicular homicide.

In response to the crash, Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy announced on Tuesday that an official investigation into the incident had been launched. Authorities are examining whether regulatory oversights contributed to the deadly event.

The crackdown on foreign drivers follows a broader pattern of immigration and public safety measures by the Trump administration. In April, President Trump signed an executive order directing the Department of Transportation to remove commercial drivers who could not prove English language proficiency. While the English requirement has long been part of federal regulations, it had not been strictly enforced since 2016. The policy has reportedly led to the disqualification of more than 3,000 drivers nationwide who failed to pass English proficiency exams.

In a related development, the State Department confirmed Thursday that it is currently vetting over 55 million US visa holders for potential deportable offences, which include criminal activity, visa overstays, and involvement in terrorist activity.

News world Trump Administration Halts Visas For Foreign Truck Drivers Citing Safety Concerns
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Hate speech PIL ‘targets’ BJP CMs: Supreme Court

Representational image NEW DELHI: SC on Tuesday criticised 12 ’eminent’ persons who together filed a PIL “targeting” CMs of BJP-governed states for alleged hate speeches while making a plea for framing guidel Read More

Madras HC reverses 2017 acquittal, convicts 21 in murder case

Madras HC CHENNAI: Over eight years after a trial court acquitted 23 accused of killing a man over an election rivalry in Villupuram in 2013, Madras HC on Tuesday reversed the order and convicted and sentenced 21 of them to life imp Read More

Salim Khan hospitalised: Fans SLAM paparazzi

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was visibly frustrated with paparazzi as he left the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after visiting his father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who is currently und Read More

Topics

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Hate speech PIL ‘targets’ BJP CMs: Supreme Court

Representational image NEW DELHI: SC on Tuesday criticised 12 ’eminent’ persons who together filed a PIL “targeting” CMs of BJP-governed states for alleged hate speeches while making a plea for framing guidel Read More

Madras HC reverses 2017 acquittal, convicts 21 in murder case

Madras HC CHENNAI: Over eight years after a trial court acquitted 23 accused of killing a man over an election rivalry in Villupuram in 2013, Madras HC on Tuesday reversed the order and convicted and sentenced 21 of them to life imp Read More

Salim Khan hospitalised: Fans SLAM paparazzi

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was visibly frustrated with paparazzi as he left the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after visiting his father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who is currently und Read More

95-yr-old unable to walk, court goes to him, delivers verdict

Representational image PATNA: The justice clock at Patna district courts ticked towards a rare moment on Monday when special judge Avinash Kumar of the CBI court delivered the verdict in a 15-year-old bank fraud case not inside a co Read More

Loosening pyjama string is ‘attempt to rape’: SC sets aside controversial Allahabad HC ruling

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that groping a female and untying her pyjama string constituted “attempt to rape” and set aside Allahabad HC’s controversial judgment terming the offence not Read More

Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth SPLIT a year ago

Hollywood couple Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth have reportedly pulled the plug on their marriage. Read More

Related Articles