Sunday, August 31, 2025
27.1 C
New Delhi

Pro-Palestinian Protesters Interrupt Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Performance In London

Curated By :

Last Updated:

The Jewish Artists for Palestine interrupted the performance at the Royal Albert Hall for more than 10 minutes on Friday night, accusing the organisation of “silencing artists”

font

The Royal Albert Hall in London, United Kingdom.

The Royal Albert Hall in London, United Kingdom.

Pro-Palestinian protesters interrupted a performance by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO) at the BBC Proms in London on Friday, accusing the organisation of “silencing” the artists who have publicly criticised Israel’s military offensive in Gaza.

The Jewish Artists for Palestine group interrupted the performance at the Royal Albert Hall for more than 10 minutes on Friday night, according to The Guardian. Some members shouted from the upper stalls, claiming that MSO “silenced artists” and “silenced protest”.

Recommended Stories

Videos surfaced online showing some members of the group carrying a sign reading, “complicit in genocide”, while a man was heard shouting, “The MSO has blood on its hands.” The MSO has not immediately responded to the interruption.

In a statement, the Jewish Artists for Palestine said, “We reject Zionist funding, censorship and complicity in our cultural institutions.” It also criticised the MSO for silencing Jayson Gillham, who is suing the organisation over a cancelled Melbourne concert he was contracted to perform at last year over his stance on the Gaza war.

Angela Tanner, one of the audience members, told the BBC that it took security “quite a while” to remove the protesters. “The whole programme had to start again and has been put into a different order after the piano was put on to the stage and taken off again,” she said.

MSO Denies Discrimination Against Israel Critic

Prior to his cancelled concert, Gillham performed in a piece composed by Australian multimedia artist Connor D’Netto, dedicated to journalists who lost their lives in the Gaza conflict. During the concert, Gillham said over 100 Palestinian journalists had been killed in the Gaza crisis, and called it a “war crime”.

In an email, the MSO said Gillham would no longer perform on August 15, 2024, because of “a series of introductory remarks” made without the organisation’s “approval”. The group said Gillham was not allowed to use personal views that had caused “distress”.

Later, the organisation issued a statement denying Gillham had been discriminated against because of his political views, saying the action taken against the artist was “not and never has been about free speech”. However, it admitted to making “an error” in cancelling the performance.

In May, the federal court ordered Gillham’s case to proceed to trial, which is scheduled to begin on December 1.

About the Author

authorimg
Aveek Banerjee

Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master’s in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international…Read More

Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master’s in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international… Read More

News world Pro-Palestinian Protesters Interrupt Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Performance In London
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Pullela Gopichand on the surprising link between Badminton and Kabaddi: ‘The presence of mind to identify gaps is…’

Legendary badminton coach Pullela Gopichand spoke on the similarities between kabaddi and badminton, saying that agility and presence of mind are equally crucial in both sports. Read More

SCO summit: PM Modi, Xi Jinping discussed cross-border terror in meeting; MEA says China offered cooperation

Prime Minister Narendra Modi exchanges a handshake with Chinese President Xi Jinping during the Official Reception for Heads of States and Heads of Governments at the SCO Summit, in Tianjin on Sunday. Read More

Did PM Modi, President Xi Discuss Trump Tariffs During Bilateral Talks? MEA Responds

Curated By : Last Updated:August 31, 2025, 21:14 IST Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping discussed global economic challenges and ways to strengthen India China trade ties in Tianjin, amid US tariffs and WTO concerns. Read More

Delhi: 50 Shanties Gutted As Massive Blaze Engulfs Cluster Of Jhuggis In Rohini Sector 18

New Delhi: Panic gripped Rohini’s Sector 18 on Sunday evening after a fire broke out in a cluster of jhuggis, officials from the Delhi Fire Service (DFS) said. The emergency control room received a distress call at 7. Read More

Trump administration mulls post-war Gaza plan with decade-long US control, relocation of population: Report

A post war plan for Gaza is circulating within President Donald Trump’s administration that would see the U.S. Read More

Topics

Pullela Gopichand on the surprising link between Badminton and Kabaddi: ‘The presence of mind to identify gaps is…’

Legendary badminton coach Pullela Gopichand spoke on the similarities between kabaddi and badminton, saying that agility and presence of mind are equally crucial in both sports. Read More

SCO summit: PM Modi, Xi Jinping discussed cross-border terror in meeting; MEA says China offered cooperation

Prime Minister Narendra Modi exchanges a handshake with Chinese President Xi Jinping during the Official Reception for Heads of States and Heads of Governments at the SCO Summit, in Tianjin on Sunday. Read More

Did PM Modi, President Xi Discuss Trump Tariffs During Bilateral Talks? MEA Responds

Curated By : Last Updated:August 31, 2025, 21:14 IST Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping discussed global economic challenges and ways to strengthen India China trade ties in Tianjin, amid US tariffs and WTO concerns. Read More

Delhi: 50 Shanties Gutted As Massive Blaze Engulfs Cluster Of Jhuggis In Rohini Sector 18

New Delhi: Panic gripped Rohini’s Sector 18 on Sunday evening after a fire broke out in a cluster of jhuggis, officials from the Delhi Fire Service (DFS) said. The emergency control room received a distress call at 7. Read More

Trump administration mulls post-war Gaza plan with decade-long US control, relocation of population: Report

A post war plan for Gaza is circulating within President Donald Trump’s administration that would see the U.S. Read More

MAGA podcaster in spotlight: From plagiarism scandals to DC press seat; who is Benny Johnson?

File photo: Benny Johnson (Picture credit: X/@bennyjohnson) Benny Johnson returned to the spotlight this week after being invited by the White House to occupy the “new media seat” at a press briefing, a slot that gave him the privil Read More

‘We caught them, cold’: Donald Trump blasts workers for Rose Garden damage; shares video

Donald Trump blasts workers for Rose Garden damage US President Donald Trump on Saturday lashed out at a subcontractor and workers he accused of damaging stonework during recent renovations of the White House Rose Garden, sharing se Read More

India to finalise over Rs 1 lakh crore submarine deals to strengthen undersea capabilities

India is likely to seal two mega submarine deals worth over Rs one lakh crore by the middle of next year to crank up its undersea warfare capabilities against the backdrop of China’s increasing naval prowess, authoritative sources said on Sunday. Read More

Related Articles