Sunday, May 17, 2026
31.1 C
New Delhi

Indian Tourists To Turkey Halved In Last 3 Months | Exclusive

Reported By :

Last Updated:

Latest figures of Turkish tourism accessed by News18 show only 16,244 Indian tourists went to Turkey in July this year, compared to 31,659 in May

Click to add News18 as a preferred source on Google
font

Turkey’s stance prompted boycott calls in India, and travel portals like MakeMyTrip, EaseMyTrip and Cleartrip said they would not promote Turkish tour packages. (File pic/PTI)

Turkey’s stance prompted boycott calls in India, and travel portals like MakeMyTrip, EaseMyTrip and Cleartrip said they would not promote Turkish tour packages. (File pic/PTI)

It is official. Indian tourism to Turkey has halved in the last three months, after the role of Ankara in arming and backing Pakistan became clear during Operation Sindoor.

Recommended Stories

Latest figures of Turkish tourism accessed by News18 show only 16,244 Indian tourists went to Turkey in July this year, compared to 31,659 in May. That is a nearly 50 per cent drop. Even comparing the year-on-year figures, the massive drop is clear. Against 16,244 Indian tourists landing up in Turkey this July, 28,875 went there in the same month last year. That is a 44% drop.

Graph: ChatGPT

Turkey’s role was exposed in May with the discovery of Turkish-made drones being used by Pakistan against India during Operation Sindoor. Turkey also adopted a blatant diplomatic stance in favour of Pakistan. Since then, a “Boycott Turkey” campaign has emerged in India.

This has had a visible impact, as the number of Indian tourists going to Turkey fell from 31,659 in May to 24,250 in June and now 16,244 in July. These three summer months are the top tourism months for Indians. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also gave a clear message in June when he visited Cyprus, and, along with President Nikos Christodoulides, he went to the historic centre of Nicosia, where they were given a guided tour along the United Nations ceasefire line, a symbol of the island’s long-standing division. Christodoulides also showed PM Modi the mountainous region in northern Cyprus, which has remained under Turkish occupation since 1974.

Prime Minister Modi last month told Parliament that only three of the 193 member countries of the United Nations favoured Pakistan, while the remaining nations stood in India’s support during Operation Sindoor. He was referring to Turkey, China, and Azerbaijan—nations that have often stood by Islamabad on the international stage, including at the United Nations and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). The three countries had given statements in favour of Islamabad when the Indian armed forces carried out precision strikes in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

Turkey’s stance had prompted boycott calls in India, and travel portals like MakeMyTrip, EaseMyTrip, and Cleartrip said they would not promote Turkish tourist packages.

“The sharp drop of nearly 50% in Indian tourism numbers to Turkey since May is not surprising. When a country openly sides with forces that challenge India’s sovereignty, it cannot expect Indians to contribute to its economy. Today, Indian travellers are more conscious of where they spend their money. They prefer destinations that value India and Indians. If any foreign country wants Indian footfalls, it must respect our people and our country. This decline in Turkey’s numbers is a wake-up call for all the foreign tourism boards. They cannot take us for granted. India is a global force, and respect for our nation is non-negotiable,” said Nishant Pitti, chairman and founder, EaseMyTrip.

Even in its stance and statements after the Pahalgam terror strike, the Turkish government under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has taken a full pro-Pakistan line. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Pakistan Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir also visited Turkey to thank Erdoğan for support during tensions with India during Operation Sindoor.

About the Author

authorimg
Aman Sharma

Aman Sharma, Executive Editor – National Affairs at CNN-News18, and Bureau Chief at News18 in Delhi, has over two decades of experience in covering the wide spectrum of politics and the Prime Minister’s Office….Read More

Aman Sharma, Executive Editor – National Affairs at CNN-News18, and Bureau Chief at News18 in Delhi, has over two decades of experience in covering the wide spectrum of politics and the Prime Minister’s Office…. Read More

News india Indian Tourists To Turkey Halved In Last 3 Months | Exclusive
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Topics

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Cate Blanchett on #MeToo: ‘It got killed very quickly’- WATCH

Cate Blanchett said the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, speaking Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Read More

‘Michael’ reclaims box office crown; crosses USD 700 million mark

After two weeks trailing ‘The Devil Wears Prada 2’, the Michael Jackson biopic ‘Michael’ reclaimed the No. 1 spot at the North American box office with USD 26. Read More

Barbra Streisand skips Cannes Palme d’Or ceremony after injury

Barbra Streisand announced on Sunday that she will not attend the Cannes Film Festival ‘s closing ceremony later this week where she was to receive an honorary Palme d’Or, after sustaining a knee injury. Read More

Related Articles