Saturday, February 21, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

‘H-1B A Total Scam’: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Says Visa Model Benefiting Indian Workers

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has slammed the H-1B visa program as a “total scam,” accusing companies of laying off Americans while hiring mostly Indian workers.

font

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks during a public event (File photo/AP)

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks during a public event (File photo/AP)

Florida’s Governor Ron DeSantis has termed the H-1B visa model a “total scam” and said a large number of companies are laying off many Americans and are recruiting those with H-1Bs. DeSantis also said that most of those who hold the H-1B visa are from India.

In an interview with Fox News, the Florida Governor opined that it has become a system benefiting a specific industry, which is dominated by workers from India.

Recommended Stories

“The H-1B has become a total scam. These companies game the system, and you have some of these companies that are laying off large numbers of Americans while they are also getting new H-1Bs and renewing H-1Bs,” DeSantis could be heard telling Fox News in a widely shared video.

“And a lot of times people used to say, ‘well, we’re getting cream in crop from all around the world’, but the reality is that’s not actually what H-1Bs are. Most of them are from one country, India,” he said.

“There’s a cottage industry about how all those people make money off this system. Look at what’s happening to young people in this current job market because of artificial intelligence. You are starting to see evidence, there have been much tougher times because of what’s happening with AI. So if that’s going to continue to produce dislocations, why would we be importing foreign workers when we have our own people that we need to take care of,” he added.

Before DeSantis, United States Secretary of Commerce, Howard Lutnick, had said that the US intends to alter the current immigration system, specifically the H-1B visa program and green cards.

Lutnick had said the Donald Trump administration was planning to introduce a “gold card” program, which would allow wealthy foreigners to invest USD 5 million in exchange for US residency.

“I’m involved in changing the H-1B visa program. We’re going to change that program because that’s terrible. We’re going to change the green card,” Lutnick said during an Interview with Fox News.

In January 2025, US President Donald Trump reaffirmed his stance to support the H-1B visa program, which allows employers in the US to hire non-immigrant workers for speciality occupations, stating that the country needs “competent” and “great” individuals to come to the US and that this can be achieved through the H-1B visa program.

ALSO READ | Big Changes Coming To H-1B Visa Programme? What Indian Tech Workers Should Expect

About the Author

authorimg
Vani Mehrotra

Vani Mehrotra is the Deputy News Editor at News18.com. She has nearly 10 years of experience in both national and international news and has previously worked on multiple desks.

Vani Mehrotra is the Deputy News Editor at News18.com. She has nearly 10 years of experience in both national and international news and has previously worked on multiple desks.

News world ‘H-1B A Total Scam’: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Says Visa Model Benefiting Indian Workers
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump set to visit China next month after Supreme Court strikes down key tariffs

The visit will be the first in-person meeting between Trump and Xi since October, when they met in South Korea and agreed to the trade truce. Read More

Just off ventilator, gritty teen turns up for boards

Chandigarh: Thirteen days. That’s how long 17-year-old Kanishka Bist was on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, as machines breathed for her and doctors kept constant watch. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ BO day 7: Shanaya Kapoor film collects 4.45 crores

‘Tu Yaa Main’ has concluded its opening week at the box office, raking in Rs 4.45 crore net. Despite fluctuating weekday collections, the film maintained a stable performance. Read More

Ex-UP junior engineer, his wife get death for sexually abusing 33 boys, selling their videos

Representational image A Pocso court in UP’s Banda sentenced to death Friday a former govt junior engineer and his wife for sexually abusing 33 boys over a decade, some as young as three, and selling videos and photographs of Read More

‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ BO day 1: Mints Rs 1.25 crores

Mrunal Thakur and Siddhant Chaturvedi’s ‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ opened with a modest ₹1.25 crore India net, indicating a slow start for the slice-of-life romance. Read More

Topics

Trump set to visit China next month after Supreme Court strikes down key tariffs

The visit will be the first in-person meeting between Trump and Xi since October, when they met in South Korea and agreed to the trade truce. Read More

Just off ventilator, gritty teen turns up for boards

Chandigarh: Thirteen days. That’s how long 17-year-old Kanishka Bist was on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, as machines breathed for her and doctors kept constant watch. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ BO day 7: Shanaya Kapoor film collects 4.45 crores

‘Tu Yaa Main’ has concluded its opening week at the box office, raking in Rs 4.45 crore net. Despite fluctuating weekday collections, the film maintained a stable performance. Read More

Ex-UP junior engineer, his wife get death for sexually abusing 33 boys, selling their videos

Representational image A Pocso court in UP’s Banda sentenced to death Friday a former govt junior engineer and his wife for sexually abusing 33 boys over a decade, some as young as three, and selling videos and photographs of Read More

‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ BO day 1: Mints Rs 1.25 crores

Mrunal Thakur and Siddhant Chaturvedi’s ‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ opened with a modest ₹1.25 crore India net, indicating a slow start for the slice-of-life romance. Read More

Alexandra Daddario and Andrew Form file for divorce

Actor Alexandra Daddario and film producer Andrew Form are reportedly set to pull the plug on their marriage. Read More

Trump brings in new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes

The Supreme Court decision striking down some of Trump’s most sweeping tariffs injects new uncertainty into global trade. Read More

Priyanka’s fans spot Nick’s mangalsutra bracelet – WATCH

Nick Jonas once again proved why he is a total “green flag. Read More

Related Articles