Monday, August 17, 2026
33 C
New Delhi

Trump scraps threat of 20% fee on Hormuz cargo as US prepares to resume blockade of Iran ports

Vessels sail in the Strait of Hormuz. Photo: 12 July 2026Reuters
Jaroslav Lukiv

President Donald Trump has reversed his threat of a 20% fee on all Strait of Hormuz cargo shipping, as the US battles to break Iran’s hold on the waterway.

He said the toll would be replaced by trade and investment deals with Gulf states, just hours before the US resumes a blockade of Iranian ports.

It follows renewed strikes between the US and Iran, which triggered a sharp rise in oil prices as tanker traffic through the Strait has virtually stalled.

The US earlier said it had carried out a third night of attacks to degrade Iran’s ability to hit the shipping in the area, and on Tuesday Iran’s state media reported blasts in multiple cities, including Bushehr – home to a nuclear power plant.

Tehran said it had targeted US military facilities in Bahrain and Jordan after earlier hitting two United Arab Emirates tankers.

The ongoing strikes have underscored the strategic importance of the Strait. Iran accuses the US of interfering in its management of Hormuz – but controlling it means Tehran can also threaten the global economy.

Trump on Monday declared that the US was now the “guardian” of the Strait of Hormuz, and vowed to impose a 20% charge on all cargo shipped through the waterway to pay for protecting it.

Raising the stakes further, Trump said the US would also reimpose its naval blockade on Iran, in a bid to further squeeze the country’s struggling economy.

US Central Command (Centcom) on Monday said that the US naval blockade on Iranian ports would be in effect from 16:00 Eastern Time (20:00 GMT/21:00 BST) on Tuesday.

But in his latest post on Truth Social, Trump wrote: “I have decided to replace the 20% United States Reimbursement Fee with Trade and Investment Deals that the various Gulf States will be making into the United States.

“Those Investments will be MASSIVE but, at the same time, extraordinarily good for them, and their future.” The US president provided no further details.

He also said that the Strait “is open to ALL Ship traffic except for Iran” and that “oil is flowing like never before, thanks to the awesome Power of the United States Military”.

Speaking later after talks in Washington with the new Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi, Mr Trump said: “I don’t like the concept of a fee, but at the same time, it’s not fair that we’re protecting this Strait for the entire world.”

He said he had changed his initial fee plan after receiving numerous calls from Gulf leaders.

Meanwhile, shipping data shows traffic through the Strait has slowed to a two-months low. The benchmark Brent Crude oil price has also risen sharply.

Iran effectively shut down the waterway – through which some 25% of the world’s oil and 20% of global liquefied natural gas previously passed – after the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran on 28 February.

In a separate development on Tuesday, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that his country’s retaliation against Iran would be “much more powerful” if it is attacked first.

“I will say it to the leaders of Iran: Do not count on things remaining quiet if you attack us,” he said in a video published on his social media.

[embedded content]

Related topics

  • Iran war
  • Iran
  • United States
  • Middle East

More on this story

  • UAE condemns Iran’s ‘brazen’ attack on tankers as US launches fresh strikes

    • 12 hours ago
    A ship is seen in blue water off the eastern coast of the United Arab Emirates.
  • What’s in the US-Iran agreement?

    • 18 June
    Donald Trump signing a document  at a table with white table cloth and flowers. Macron is seen to his right watching

Go to Source

Hot this week

California student turned pickleball fundraiser for St. Jude into a sports platform that raised more than $90,000

Olivia Shekou, a se io at The B a so School i Ma i Cou ty, Califo ia, has aised mo e tha $90,000 th ough a spo ts-based phila th opy platfo m. Read More

California startup JetZero is building a $3 billion aircraft that promises to cut fuel consumption by 50%, carry 250 passengers

A Califo ia-based sta tup, JetZe o, is all set to move close to a eal-wo ld test of a ‘ma ta ay’ ai c aft that could cha ge the futu e of the ai li e i dust y fo eve . Read More

Teacher leads 2,800 students in 29-year effort to restore New Zealand coast

Si ce 1997, Yea 9 stude ts have etu ed fou times a yea to pla t ative sh ubs a d t ees (Photo: Facebook/Bulle school) A coastal a ea i New Zeala d that was o ce ba e pastu e a d wi dswept g assla d has bee t a sfo med afte 29 yea Read More

Ravi Teja’s ‘Muduru munda’ remark sparks outrage

Ravi Teja’s ‘Mudu u mu da’ ema k at ‘I umudi’ eve t spa ks out age Tollywood sta Ravi Teja has become the subject of a o li e debate afte a ema k he made while i te acti g with his you g co-sta at the Read More

Watch: Shubman Gill Takes ‘Catch Of The Year’ In IND vs SL Galle Test

I dia captai Shubma Gill p oduced a mome t of fieldi g b illia ce o Day 3 of the ope i g Test agai st S i La ka at the Galle I te atio al C icket Stadium, pulli g off a jaw-d oppi g divi g catch at mid-wicket that d ew i sta t p aise f om comme tat Read More

Topics

California student turned pickleball fundraiser for St. Jude into a sports platform that raised more than $90,000

Olivia Shekou, a se io at The B a so School i Ma i Cou ty, Califo ia, has aised mo e tha $90,000 th ough a spo ts-based phila th opy platfo m. Read More

California startup JetZero is building a $3 billion aircraft that promises to cut fuel consumption by 50%, carry 250 passengers

A Califo ia-based sta tup, JetZe o, is all set to move close to a eal-wo ld test of a ‘ma ta ay’ ai c aft that could cha ge the futu e of the ai li e i dust y fo eve . Read More

Teacher leads 2,800 students in 29-year effort to restore New Zealand coast

Si ce 1997, Yea 9 stude ts have etu ed fou times a yea to pla t ative sh ubs a d t ees (Photo: Facebook/Bulle school) A coastal a ea i New Zeala d that was o ce ba e pastu e a d wi dswept g assla d has bee t a sfo med afte 29 yea Read More

Ravi Teja’s ‘Muduru munda’ remark sparks outrage

Ravi Teja’s ‘Mudu u mu da’ ema k at ‘I umudi’ eve t spa ks out age Tollywood sta Ravi Teja has become the subject of a o li e debate afte a ema k he made while i te acti g with his you g co-sta at the Read More

Watch: Shubman Gill Takes ‘Catch Of The Year’ In IND vs SL Galle Test

I dia captai Shubma Gill p oduced a mome t of fieldi g b illia ce o Day 3 of the ope i g Test agai st S i La ka at the Galle I te atio al C icket Stadium, pulli g off a jaw-d oppi g divi g catch at mid-wicket that d ew i sta t p aise f om comme tat Read More

Virat Kohli’s Three Captaincy Records That Seem Impossible To Break

Vi at Kohli’s legacy i I dia c icket exte ds well beyo d his achieveme ts as a batte . Read More

‘Students’ Demands Are Justified’: Rahul Gandhi Urges Hemant Soren To Meet Jharkhand Protestors

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom Rahul Ga dhi u ged Jha kha d CM to meet p otesti g stude ts. He suppo ts stude ts p otesti g exam i egula ities, calls dema ds justified. Read More

Big Relief For Rahul Gandhi As SC Asks Allahabad HC To Halt Disproportionate Assets Case Proceedings

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom Sup eme Cou t tempo a ily halted p oceedi gs i Rahul Ga dhi’s assets case. SC di ected CBI, ED ot to submit epo ts. Read More

Related Articles