Tuesday, February 17, 2026
25.1 C
New Delhi

Trump says US plan to end Ukraine war not ‘final offer’ for Kyiv

President Donald Trump has said a US plan to end the Russia-Ukraine war is not his “final offer” for Kyiv, after Ukrainian allies voiced concerns over proposals.

Earlier on Saturday, leaders from Europe, Canada and Japan said the plan had elements “essential for a just and lasting peace”, but would “require additional work”, citing concerns over border changes and caps on Ukraine’s army.

On Sunday, security officials from Britain, France, Germany, the US and Ukraine will meet in Geneva, Switzerland.

President Volodymyr Zelensky earlier warned Ukraine faced “one of the most difficult moments in our history” over US pressure to accept the plan seen as favourable to Moscow.

Trump has given Ukraine until 27 November to accept the 28-point plan, while Russia’s President Vladimir Putin said it could be the “basis” for a settlement.

When asked on Saturday whether the current draft plan was his final offer for Ukraine, Trump told reporters at the White House: “No, not my final offer.”

“One way or another we have to get it [the war] ended, so we’re working on it,” he added.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and special envoy Steve Witkoff will be among those taking part in talks in Geneva on Sunday. National Security Adviser Jonathan Powell will attend on the UK’s behalf.

Saturday’s joint statement at the G20 summit in South Africa was signed by the leaders of Canada, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, the UK, Germany and Norway. Two top EU officials were also among the signatories.

The statement said: “We believe therefore that the draft is a basis which will require additional work. We are ready to engage in order to ensure that a future peace is sustainable. We are clear on the principle that borders must not be changed by force.

“We are also concerned by the proposed limitations on Ukraine’s armed forces, which would leave Ukraine vulnerable to future attack.”

It added: “The implementation of elements relating to the European Union and relating to Nato would need the consent of EU and Nato members respectively”.

UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, who is at the G20 summit in Johannesburg, spoke to Zelensky on the phone on Saturday, followed by a call with Trump.

On the Trump call, a Downing Street spokesman said Sir Keir “relayed the discussions that have been taking place between Coalition of the Willing partners [Ukraine’s allies] in attendance at the G20 summit today”.

They added: “The leaders agreed their teams would work together on the 28-point US peace proposal in Geneva tomorrow. They agreed to speak again tomorrow.”

Sir Keir earlier said he was concerned about proposed caps on Ukraine’s military in the US plan, saying “it’s fundamental that Ukraine has to be able to defend itself if there’s a ceasefire”.

The widely leaked US peace plan proposes Ukrainian troops withdraw from the part of the eastern Donetsk region that they currently control, and de facto Russian control of Donetsk, as well as the neighbouring Luhansk region and the southern Crimea peninsula annexed by Russia in 2014.

The plan also includes freezing the borders of Ukraine’s southern Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions along the current battle lines. Both regions are partially occupied by Russia.

The US draft would also limit Ukraine’s military to 600,000 personnel, with European fighter jets stationed in neighbouring Poland.

Kyiv would receive “reliable security guarantees”, the plan says, although no details have been given. The document says “it is expected” that Russia will not invade its neighbours and Nato will not expand further.

The plan also suggests Russia will be “reintegrated into the global economy”, through the lifting of sanctions and by inviting Russia to rejoin the G7 group of the world’s most powerful countries – making it the G8 again.

On Friday, Trump said Zelensky would “have to like” the US proposals, adding otherwise Ukraine and Russia would continue fighting.

Earlier in the day, the Ukrainian leader addressed the nation with a stark warning that the country “might face a very difficult choice: either losing dignity, or risk losing a key partner”.

“Today is one of the most difficult moments in our history,” Zelensky added, pledging to work “constructively” with the Americans on the plan.

On Saturday, Zelensky announced that his head of office Andriy Yermak would lead Ukraine’s negotiating team for future talks on a peace deal, including any that may involve Russia.

“Our representatives know how to defend Ukraine’s national interests and exactly what must be done to prevent Russia from launching a third invasion, another strike against Ukraine,” the president said in a video statement posted on social media.

Kyiv is critically dependent on deliveries of US-made advanced weaponry, including air defence systems to repel deadly Russian air assaults, as well as intelligence provided by Washington.

Putin on Friday confirmed Moscow had received the US plan – but said it had not been discussed with the Kremlin in detail.

He added Moscow was willing to “show flexibility” – but was also prepared to fight on.

Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

In recent months, Russian troops have been slowly advancing in Ukraine’s south-eastern region – despite reported heavy combat casualties.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian indices recover as Sensex gains 650 points amid strong demand for power and banking shares

Equity benchmark indices Sensex and Nifty rebounded sharply by nearly 1 per cent on Monday, driven by strong buying in power, banking, and financial stocks amid a mixed trend overseas. Read More

Rhode Island shooter Robert Dorgan’s father-in-law threatened to have him murdered by ‘Asian street gang’ over gender transition

Court documents reveal that the father-in-law of Rhode Island gunman Robert Dorgan once allegedly threatened to have him killed after he underwent gender reassignment surgery. Read More

‘We have no links’: Hillary Clinton rejects claims she and Bill Clinton are tied to Epstein files

Former US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has denied that she or her husband, former president Bill Clinton, has any links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, saying the couple have been open about what they know and hav Read More

10 Regional Cabbage Recipes You Must Try

From the high-altitude valleys of Kashmir to the coastal kitchens of Kerala, cabbage is a staple that adapts to every spice palette. Read More

Tarique Rahman Finalises 25-Member Cabinet, 24 State Ministers In Bangladesh

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Dhaka, Feb 17 (IANS) A total of 25 BNP MPs have been selected to take the oath as Ministers in the Cabinet, while 24 will be sworn in as state ministers, of the newly electe Read More

Topics

Indian indices recover as Sensex gains 650 points amid strong demand for power and banking shares

Equity benchmark indices Sensex and Nifty rebounded sharply by nearly 1 per cent on Monday, driven by strong buying in power, banking, and financial stocks amid a mixed trend overseas. Read More

Rhode Island shooter Robert Dorgan’s father-in-law threatened to have him murdered by ‘Asian street gang’ over gender transition

Court documents reveal that the father-in-law of Rhode Island gunman Robert Dorgan once allegedly threatened to have him killed after he underwent gender reassignment surgery. Read More

‘We have no links’: Hillary Clinton rejects claims she and Bill Clinton are tied to Epstein files

Former US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has denied that she or her husband, former president Bill Clinton, has any links to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, saying the couple have been open about what they know and hav Read More

10 Regional Cabbage Recipes You Must Try

From the high-altitude valleys of Kashmir to the coastal kitchens of Kerala, cabbage is a staple that adapts to every spice palette. Read More

Tarique Rahman Finalises 25-Member Cabinet, 24 State Ministers In Bangladesh

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Dhaka, Feb 17 (IANS) A total of 25 BNP MPs have been selected to take the oath as Ministers in the Cabinet, while 24 will be sworn in as state ministers, of the newly electe Read More

First ever all-Asian women’s snowboard halfpipe podium signals shift in Winter Olympics dynamics

17-year-old Choi Ga-on of South Korea won gold while Korean-origin Chloe Kim of the United States took silver in her bid for an unprecedented three-peat, and Mitsuki Ono of Japan secured bronze. Read More

Husband catches Indiana school secretary having sex with a student

A 31-year-old school secretary in Union City has been arrested following a police investigation into allegations that she engaged in sexual relationships with two students, authorities said. Read More

Randy Fine: Florida Congressman sparks fury with dog remark about Muslims – what you ought to know about him

Randy Fine, a Republican member of the US House of Representatives from Florida, drew widespread online attention after posting on X that “the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one,” a remark that circulated widely an Read More

Related Articles