Monday, February 16, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

Spies, drones and blowtorches: How the US captured Maduro

Gareth EvansWashington

For months, US spies had been monitoring Venezuelan President’s Nicolas Maduro’s every move.

A small team, including one source within the Venezuelan government, had been observing where the 63-year-old slept, what he ate, what he wore and even, according to top military officials, “his pets”.

Then, in early December, a planned mission dubbed “Operation Absolute Resolve” was finalised. It was the result of months of meticulous planning and rehearsals, which even included elite US troops creating an exact full-size replica of Maduro’s Caracas safe house to practise their entry routes.

The plan – which amounted to an extraordinary US military intervention in Latin America not seen since the Cold War – was closely guarded. Congress was not informed or consulted ahead of time. With the precise details set, top military officials simply had to wait for the optimal conditions to launch.

They wanted to maximise the element of surprise, officials said on Saturday. There was a false start four days earlier when President Trump gave approval but they opted to wait for better weather and less cloud cover.

“Over the weeks through Christmas and New Year, the men and women of the United States military sat ready, patiently waiting for the right triggers to be met and the president to order us into action,” General Dan Caine, the nation’s highest-ranking military officer, told a news conference on Saturday morning.

‘Good luck and Godspeed’

The order from the president to begin the mission finally came at 22:46 EDT on Friday. “We were going to do this four days ago, three days ago, two days ago, and then all of a sudden it opened up. And we said: Go,” Trump himself told Fox & Friends on Saturday in the hours after the overnight raid.

“He said to us, and we appreciate it… good luck and Godspeed,” Gen Caine said. Trump’s order came shortly before midnight in Caracas, giving the military most of the night to operate in darkness.

What followed was a two-hour and twenty-minute mission by air, land and sea that stunned many in Washington and around the world. In terms of scale and precision, it was virtually unprecedented. And it drew immediate condemnation from several regional powers, with Brazil’s President Lula da Silva saying the violent capture of Venezuela’s leader set “yet another extremely dangerous precedent for the entire international community”.

Trump did not follow the mission from the White House situation room. Instead, he was surrounded by his advisers at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, where he watched a live stream of the operation flanked by CIA Director John Ratcliffe and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

“It was an incredible thing to see,” Trump said on Saturday. “If you would have seen what happened, I mean, I watched it literally like I was watching a television show. And if you would’ve seen the speed, the violence… it’s just, it was an amazing thing, an amazing job that these people did.”

Donald Trump / TruthSocial Image shows CIA Director John Ratcliffe, President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco RubioDonald Trump / TruthSocial

In recent months, thousands of US troops have deployed to the region, joining an aircraft carrier and dozens of warships in the largest military build-up in decades as President Trump has accused Maduro of drug-trafficking and narco-terrorism, and blown up dozens of small boats accused of ferrying drugs through the region.

But the first signs of Operation Absolute Resolve were in the skies. More than 150 aircraft – including bombers, fighter jets and reconnaissance planes – were ultimately deployed through the course of the night, according to US officials.

“It was very complex, extremely complex, the whole manoeuvre, the landings, the number of aircraft,” Trump told Fox News. “We had a fighter jet for every possible situation.”

Loud explosions were heard in Caracas at about 02:00 local time, and plumes of smoke were seen rising over the city. “I heard a huge sound, a loud bang,” reporter Ana Vanessa Herrero told the BBC. “It moved all the windows. Immediately after I saw a huge cloud of smoke that almost blocked the entire view.”

“Planes and helicopters were flying all over the city,” she said.

Soon videos showing numerous aircraft in the skies – and others showing the apparent aftermath of explosions – began to circulate widely on social media. One showed a convoy of helicopters flying at low altitude over Caracas as smoke rose from apparent detonations.

“We woke up at around 01:55 to the roar of explosions and the hum of planes flying over Caracas,” one witness. Daniela, told the BBC. “Everything was plunged into absolute darkness, illuminated only by the flashes of nearby detonations.”

“Neighbours were messaging in the condominium group chat, all confused and unaware of what was happening [and] frightened by the blasts,” she said.

BBC Verify has examined a number of videos showing explosions, fire and smoke in locations around Caracas to identify exactly which sites were targeted.

So far, it has confirmed five locations including Generalissimo Francisco de Miranda Air Base, an airfield known as La Carlota and Port La Guaira, Caracas’ main conduit to the Caribbean Sea.

Map showing locations of US air strikes in and around Caracas, Venezuela. Highlighted sites include Port La Guaira to the north, Fuerte Tiuna and La Carlota in Caracas, and Higuerote Airport to the east.

Some of the US strikes targeted air defence systems and other military targets, officials said. Trump also suggested the US cut the power in Caracas before the mission began, although he did not specify how.

“The lights of Caracas were largely turned off due to a certain expertise that we have,” he said. “It was dark and it was deadly.”

‘They knew we were coming’

As strikes rang out around Caracas, US forces made their way into the city. They included members of the elite Delta Force, the US military’s top special mission unit, sources told the BBC’s US partner CBS. They were heavily armed – and carried a blowtorch in case they had to cut through the metal doors of Maduro’s safe house.

The troops arrived at Maduro’s location shortly after the strikes began at 02:01 local time, according to Gen Caine. Trump described the safe house as a heavily fortified military “fortress” in the heart of Caracas. “They were in a ready position waiting for us. They knew we were coming,” he said.

The troops took fire when they arrived, and one of the American helicopters was hit but was still able to fly. “The apprehension force descended into Maduro’s compound and moved with speed, precision and discipline,” Gen Caine said.

“They just broke in, and they broke into places that were not really able to be broken into, you know, steel doors that were put there for just this reason,” Trump said.

It was only as the operation – which also saw Maduro’s wife, Cilia Flores, seized – was unfolding that Secretary of State Rubio began notifying lawmakers about the action, a decision which has since prompted anger from some in Congress.

“Let me be clear: Nicolas Maduro is an illegitimate dictator. But launching military action without congressional authorisation and without a credible plan for what comes next is reckless,” said top Democrat Chuck Schumer, the party’s leader in the Senate.

Briefing Congress ahead of time would have endangered the mission, Rubio told reporters during the news conference on Saturday. “Congress has a tendency to leak,” Trump added. “This would not be good.”

Getty Images Fire at Fuerte Tiuna, Venezuela's largest military complex, is seen from a distance after a series of explosions in Caracas Getty Images

In Maduro’s compound, as elite US troops flooded in, Trump said the Venezuelan president – who has reportedly increased his reliance on Cuban bodyguards in recent months – attempted to flee to a safe room. “He was trying to get to a safe place, which wasn’t safe, because we would have had the door blown up in about 47 seconds,” he said.

“He made it to the door. He was unable to close it,” Trump said. “He got bum rushed so fast that he didn’t get into that [room].”

When asked if the US could have killed Maduro, an authoritarian leader who took over the presidency in 2013, if he had resisted arrest, Trump said: “It could have happened.” On the US side, “a couple of guys were hit”, he said, but no US service members were killed. The Venezuelan authorities have not confirmed any casualties.

The US had previously offered a $50m reward for information leading to Maduro’s arrest. But by 04:20 local time on Saturday, helicopters were leaving Venezuelan territory with Maduro and his wife on board, in custody of the Department of Justice and en route ultimately to New York, where they are expected to face criminal charges.

Almost exactly an hour later Trump announced the news of his capture to the world. “Maduro and his wife will soon face the full might of American justice,” he said.

With additional reporting from Cristobal Vasquez

Go to Source

Hot this week

PM Modi sets tone ahead of AI Impact Summit: ‘Our national character has revealed itself…’

Ahead of the AI Impact Summit, PM Modi set out his government’s plans on artificial intelligence, defence spending, infrastructure expansion and trade agreements, while urging greater private sector investment Go to Source Read More

Shahid’s ‘O’ Romeo’ CROSSES Rs 30 cr over opening weekend

In a spectacular debut, Shahid Kapoor’s ‘O’ Romeo’ has shattered expectations at the Indian box office, amassing Rs 30.15 crore over its opening weekend. Read More

Defence spend, upgrade in line with current realities: PM Modi

PM Modi NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday cited the global context to argue in favour of modernising India’s defence sector, while calling upon the private sector to step up its act and share the gains with workers an Read More

Elsewhere in NYFW: Altuzarra, Anna Sui, Alexis Bittar and Tabbe

A tour of New York Fashion Week varied from a Velázquez-influenced Altuzarra show and Nouvelle New Romantics at Anna Sui, to polished perversity at Alexis Bittar and EEG-informed ideas at fledgling brand, Tabbe. Read More

‘AKOTSK’ Ep 5: Viral BTS image SPOILS major moment

As fans of the new ‘Game of Thrones’ series, ‘A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms’ gear up for Episode 5 titled ‘In the name of the Mother’, a A behind-the-scenes image from the set has sparked a flurry o Read More

Topics

PM Modi sets tone ahead of AI Impact Summit: ‘Our national character has revealed itself…’

Ahead of the AI Impact Summit, PM Modi set out his government’s plans on artificial intelligence, defence spending, infrastructure expansion and trade agreements, while urging greater private sector investment Go to Source Read More

Shahid’s ‘O’ Romeo’ CROSSES Rs 30 cr over opening weekend

In a spectacular debut, Shahid Kapoor’s ‘O’ Romeo’ has shattered expectations at the Indian box office, amassing Rs 30.15 crore over its opening weekend. Read More

Defence spend, upgrade in line with current realities: PM Modi

PM Modi NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday cited the global context to argue in favour of modernising India’s defence sector, while calling upon the private sector to step up its act and share the gains with workers an Read More

Elsewhere in NYFW: Altuzarra, Anna Sui, Alexis Bittar and Tabbe

A tour of New York Fashion Week varied from a Velázquez-influenced Altuzarra show and Nouvelle New Romantics at Anna Sui, to polished perversity at Alexis Bittar and EEG-informed ideas at fledgling brand, Tabbe. Read More

‘AKOTSK’ Ep 5: Viral BTS image SPOILS major moment

As fans of the new ‘Game of Thrones’ series, ‘A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms’ gear up for Episode 5 titled ‘In the name of the Mother’, a A behind-the-scenes image from the set has sparked a flurry o Read More

India’s global AI challenge: Over 4k entries cut to 70 finalists

NEW DELHI: India on Sunday announced the finalists of three major global AI challenges ahead of AI Impact Summit, highlighting the country’s growing role in shaping responsible and people-focused AI solutions. Read More

AI models & campus labs: India’s tech push at summit

NEW DELHI: India will launch its first set of sovereign AI models, announce major national AI research programmes, expand shared computing facilities, and roll out AI labs across 500 universities at AI Impact Summit 2026. Read More

‘Delhi declaration’ may be adopted at AI summit in Delhi

NEW DELHI: Govt on Sunday unveiled India’s first comprehensive AI governance guidelines, choosing a light-touch, principle-based rulebook over a rigid new law to manage the risks of artificial intelligence while keeping innovati Read More

Related Articles