Wednesday, February 18, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Israel escalates bombardment as defence minister says ‘Gaza is burning’

Yolande Knell in JerusalemMiddle East Correspondent and

Tom Bateman in JerusalemState Department Correspondent

Israel has heavily bombed Gaza City overnight with unconfirmed reports from the US news site Axios and the Jerusalem Post that the military has now launched its ground offensive to occupy the entire city.

Israeli strikes are also reported in central Gaza, in the direction in which thousands of people are fleeing. Palestinian officials say there are rising numbers of deaths and injuries.

The intensification came ahead of a long-threatened full-scale ground invasion of the city, which is home to hundreds of thousands of people.

It came hours after Secretary of State Marco Rubio assured Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of unwavering US support during a trip to Jerusalem on Monday.

Early on Tuesday morning, Israel’s defence minister, Israel Katz, wrote on X, “Gaza is burning” and threatened that Israel, “will not relent and we will not go back – until the completion of the mission.”

Local journalists in Gaza say there have been almost constant Israeli air strikes and artillery and gunfire in Gaza City. Homes are said to have been destroyed, with people trapped in the rubble. There has been no official confirmation of a new ground incursion from the Israeli military.

Israel has demanded that Gaza City’s residents leave and head south to a central area of the strip. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) estimate about 250,000 Palestinians have fled, though hundreds of thousands are believed to remain in the area.

Some say they cannot afford to go south, while others say southern Gaza is not safe as Israel has carried out air strikes there too. Some have said they attempted to go south but were unable to pitch their tents, so returned to Gaza City.

EPA A flare fired by the Israeli army lights up the sky above the outskirts of Gaza CityEPA

Rubio meanwhile was heading to visit Qatar next, where Arab leaders on Monday condemned Israel’s attack last week on the capital Doha targeting, but reportedly failing to kill, Hamas leaders.

Speaking from the tarmac at Ben Gurion airport, Rubio said Qatar was still the only country able to mediate on Gaza. Pressed by the BBC on the condemnation of Israel from Arab and Muslim countries in Doha on Monday, he said the US prefers that war ends in a negotiated settlement and hoped partners in the region “stay engaged”.

Rubio also said that there was “a very short window” in which a deal on Gaza could be made, Reuters and AFP reported. He added that Hamas had to “cease to exist as an armed group”.

In Israel, hostage families camped outside the Israeli prime minister’s house overnight because they believe the current military strategy is putting their loved ones in danger. Some 48 hostages are believed to remain in Gaza with 20 believed to be alive.

The escalation in bombardment on Gaza also comes after Netanyahu refused to rule out further strikes on Hamas leaders abroad despite international criticism of the attack on Qatar.

Days earlier the White House said Trump had assured Qatar “that such a thing will not happen again on their soil” – an assertion that he repeated on Monday night.

Qatar hosts a major US airbase and has played a key role in brokering diplomatic efforts to end the war in Gaza, serving as a mediator of indirect negotiations between Hamas and Israel. It has hosted the Hamas political bureau since 2012.

EPA Palestinians look for survivors in a large pile of rubble in the background. A girl covers her face with her hands in the foreground, while a woman walks past, looking down. EPA

As Rubio and Netanyahu met, leaders of Arab and Islamic countries were lining up in Qatar to denounce Israel over its mounting offensive in Gaza City and last week’s strike in Doha.

Israel launched its war in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

More than 64,500 people have been killed by Israel during its campaign since then – almost half of them women and children, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run Ministry of Health.

With famine having already been declared in the area by a UN-backed body, the UN has warmed an intensification of the offensive will push civilians into “even deeper catastrophe”.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Beauty Filter Fails On Livestream, Influencer Reportedly Loses 1.4 Lakh Followers In Minutes

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom An influencer’s follower count reportedly dropped sharply after a beauty filter failed during a live-stream, briefly showing her real face. Read More

Ramadan 2026: This Telangana Stall’s ‘Modern’ Twist On Haleem Is Breaking Records

Khursheed Hotel’s Ramzan special haleem and harees stalls in Warangal’s Mandi Bazaar draw huge crowds, serving up to 1,000 plates daily with premium ingredients. Read More

Kia Seltos crosses six lakh sales milestone in India

Kia India on Wednesday said its mid-size SUV, the Kia Seltos, has crossed the six lakh cumulative sales milestone in India since its launch in 2019, reinforcing its position as one of the segment’s consistent volume drivers. Read More

ICC’s Backup Plan: This Country To Host 2029 And 2031 World Cup If India Misses Out

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Ongoing geopolitical tensions and recent disruptions during ICC Men’s 2026 T20 World Cup have reportedly prompted ICC to evaluate alternative hosts for major events or Read More

Japan PM Sanae Takaichi Reappointed After Landslide Win, Eyes Hard-Right Policy Shift

Japan’s Parliament on Wednesday formally reappointed Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi to form her second Cabinet, days after her decisive election victory handed her party sweeping control of the lower house. Read More

Topics

Beauty Filter Fails On Livestream, Influencer Reportedly Loses 1.4 Lakh Followers In Minutes

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom An influencer’s follower count reportedly dropped sharply after a beauty filter failed during a live-stream, briefly showing her real face. Read More

Ramadan 2026: This Telangana Stall’s ‘Modern’ Twist On Haleem Is Breaking Records

Khursheed Hotel’s Ramzan special haleem and harees stalls in Warangal’s Mandi Bazaar draw huge crowds, serving up to 1,000 plates daily with premium ingredients. Read More

Kia Seltos crosses six lakh sales milestone in India

Kia India on Wednesday said its mid-size SUV, the Kia Seltos, has crossed the six lakh cumulative sales milestone in India since its launch in 2019, reinforcing its position as one of the segment’s consistent volume drivers. Read More

ICC’s Backup Plan: This Country To Host 2029 And 2031 World Cup If India Misses Out

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Ongoing geopolitical tensions and recent disruptions during ICC Men’s 2026 T20 World Cup have reportedly prompted ICC to evaluate alternative hosts for major events or Read More

Japan PM Sanae Takaichi Reappointed After Landslide Win, Eyes Hard-Right Policy Shift

Japan’s Parliament on Wednesday formally reappointed Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi to form her second Cabinet, days after her decisive election victory handed her party sweeping control of the lower house. Read More

Roses Are Red, Bills Are Brutal: Mumbai Man’s Valentine’s Day Dine Out Bill Is Rs 1.3 Lakh!

A Valentine’s Day dinner turned into a jaw-dropping shock for a Mumbai man when his restaurant bill hit a staggering Rs 1. Read More

‘Boy vs girl’ budget: Rajasthan BJP MLA’s sexist remark sparks row; he asks ‘what is wrong?’

NEW DELHI: A Rajasthan BJP MLA sparked a controversy during the assembly debate on the state budget after drawing a gendered comparison between present BJP government’s budget and that of the previous Congress regime. Read More

‘Prohibition causing significant financial losses’: NDA allies nudge Nitish Kumar to reconsider liquor ban

NEW DELHI: Calls for a rethink of Bihar’s decade-old liquor ban have resurfaced within the ruling alliance, with NDA allies urging chief minister Nitish Kumar to review the policy. Read More

Related Articles