Monday, February 16, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

Judge quashes antisemitism case against comedian Reginald D Hunter

A judge has quashed a private prosecution brought by the Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA) against comedian Reginald D Hunter, saying it was intended to get him “cancelled”.

The CAA’s prosecution accused the US stand-up comic, 56, of sending offensive messages on three occasions in August and September 2024.

On Tuesday, District Judge Michael Snow quashed a summons for Hunter, ruling that the CAA was seeking to use the criminal justice system for “improper reasons”.

“The CAA have demonstrated by the misleading and partial way in which it summarised its application and its wilful, repeated, failure to meet its disclosure obligations, that its true and sole motive in seeking to prosecute Reginald Hunter is to have him cancelled,” he wrote.

“I have no doubt that the prosecution is abusive,” Judge Snow added at the hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

“My view of the conduct of the CAA is consistent with them as an organisation which is not ‘playing it straight’ but is seeking to use the criminal justice system, in this case for improper reasons.”

Hunter is known for his appearances on TV shows like Have I Got News For You and 8 Out of 10 Cats.

He was accused of sending an offensive communication on three occasions to Heidi Bachram on X on 24 August and 10 and 11 September last year.

However, the judge said the CAA’s application for a private prosecution had been “wholly inadequate” when it came to disclosing her social media activity towards him.

“It did not reveal the extent of her tweets directed against Reginald Hunter in the period immediately preceding the complaints (her tweets were sent between 15 August and 11 September 2024),” he said.

“The summary misled me into believing that his comments were addressed to her involvement with the Jewish faith as opposed to his response to attempts that were being made to have him ‘cancelled’.”

The judge added that the CAA had failed to inform him of a compliance investigation by the Charity Commission into the organisation in November 2024.

Hunter’s lawyer, Rebecca Chalkley KC, told a hearing on Tuesday: “The CAA are weaponising and using the courts for their own political agenda and not just in this case.”

The CAA’s prosecutor Donal Lawler told the hearing that the charity had complied with its duty of candour.

In a statement, a CAA spokesperson said: “We are of course deeply disappointed by the District Judge’s decision.

“Our mission is, and always has been, to stand up for British Jews and their allies, particularly at a time when levels of antisemitism and antisemitic violence are rising at an alarming rate.

“Our lawyers are examining the ruling and considering our next steps.”

Private prosecutions are cases brought to criminal courts without the involvement of the police or CPS.

Go to Source

Hot this week

France’s Macron begins 3-day India visit today, eyes fighter jet deal

France is aiming to deepen its military partnership with New Delhi, with talks expected on a possible contract for 114 additional French fighter jets Go to Source Read More

India moves to stop Ravi waters to Pak as Shahpur Kandi dam nears finish

A model of Shahpur Kandi dam (Image courtesy: PSPCL) JAMMU: India is preparing to stop surplus water from the Ravi flowing into Pakistan once the Shahpur Kandi dam on Punjab-J&K border becomes operational, marking a long-awaited shi Read More

Fugu frenzy: Ghana’s traditional blouse makes a comeback

The colourful woven garment originating from northern Ghana- known as the fugu, smock, or batakari- is enjoying a resurgence after the government designated Wednesdays as ‘Fugu Day. Read More

‘Submit 2-Page Note, Cite Apps For Department Use’: Ministry Officials Asked To Attend AI Summit

An office memorandum directed all officers at and above the level of deputy secretary in ministries and departments to visit the India AI Impact Summit 2026 Go to Source Read More

The Godfather fame Robert Duvall passes away at 95

Veteran Hollywood star Robert Duvall, known for his iconic performances in The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, has died at the age of 95. His death on Sunday was confirmed by his wife, Luciana Duvall, on Monday. Read More

Topics

France’s Macron begins 3-day India visit today, eyes fighter jet deal

France is aiming to deepen its military partnership with New Delhi, with talks expected on a possible contract for 114 additional French fighter jets Go to Source Read More

India moves to stop Ravi waters to Pak as Shahpur Kandi dam nears finish

A model of Shahpur Kandi dam (Image courtesy: PSPCL) JAMMU: India is preparing to stop surplus water from the Ravi flowing into Pakistan once the Shahpur Kandi dam on Punjab-J&K border becomes operational, marking a long-awaited shi Read More

Fugu frenzy: Ghana’s traditional blouse makes a comeback

The colourful woven garment originating from northern Ghana- known as the fugu, smock, or batakari- is enjoying a resurgence after the government designated Wednesdays as ‘Fugu Day. Read More

‘Submit 2-Page Note, Cite Apps For Department Use’: Ministry Officials Asked To Attend AI Summit

An office memorandum directed all officers at and above the level of deputy secretary in ministries and departments to visit the India AI Impact Summit 2026 Go to Source Read More

The Godfather fame Robert Duvall passes away at 95

Veteran Hollywood star Robert Duvall, known for his iconic performances in The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, has died at the age of 95. His death on Sunday was confirmed by his wife, Luciana Duvall, on Monday. Read More

‘Nepal, Bhutan, And…’: Yunus Rakes Up India’s ‘Seven Sisters’ Ahead Of New Govt Formation In Bangladesh

Outgoing interim adviser Muhammad Yunus sparked significant concerns by invoking India’s ‘Seven Sisters’ alongside Nepal and Bhutan as a singular region combined with Bangladesh Go to Source Read More

Pak duo among 3 inmates flee Jammu juvenile home after injuring 2 cops

The assault was captured on CCTV camera JAMMU: Three inmates of a juvenile observation home, including two Pakistani nationals, fled custody after allegedly attacking and injuring two policemen posted on guard duty at the facility i Read More

LG Manoj Sinha orders reopening of 14 more tourist spots across J&K restricted after April 2025 Pahalgam attack

J&K LG Manoj Sinha (File photo) After a thorough security review and discussion, Jammu and Kashmir LG Manoj Sinha on Monday ordered the reopening of 14 tourist spots that were closed in the wake of the Pahalgam terror attack 10 mon Read More

Related Articles