Friday, May 22, 2026
36.1 C
New Delhi

‘I’m petrified’: Backstage with Strictly stars ahead of first live show

Noor NanjiCulture reporter

BBC Strictly hosts Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly  BBC

It’s that time of year again.

A few weeks ago it was picnics and hanging the washing outside. Now kids are back at school, the nights are drawing in – and Strictly Come Dancing is back.

There are 15 couples hoping to waltz their way to the glitterball trophy, with the first live show taking place on Saturday night.

A former Love Islander, a cabaret singer and a YouTube star – this year’s Strictly has a packed line-up of celebs.

I’ve been backstage to meet some of them, to hear just how gruelling the training has been, what they’re most looking forward to – and what they’re most terrified about.

Who is in Strictly Come Dancing 2025?

Before that, though, here’s a reminder of who’s on this year’s show.

On last week’s launch show, we found out which celebrities were paired with which professional dancers. Here’s the list in full:

  • Alex Kingston and Johannes Radebe
  • Amber Davies and Nikita Kuzmin*
  • Balvinder Sopal and Julian Caillon
  • Chris Robshaw and Nadiya Bychkova
  • Ellie Goldstein and Vito Coppola
  • George Clarke and Alexis Warr
  • Harry Aikines-Aryeetey and Karen Hauer
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Lauren Oakley
  • Karen Carney and Carlos Gu
  • La Voix and Aljaž Škorjanec
  • Lewis Cope and Katya Jones
  • Ross King and Jowita Przystał
  • Stefan Dennis and Dianne Buswell
  • Thomas Skinner and Amy Dowden
  • Vicky Pattison and Kai Widdrington

*announced later

Former Love Islander Dani Dyer had also been due to take part. But she pulled out this week after breaking her ankle. Actress and West End star Amber Davies, who is also an ex-islander, has been drafted in as her replacement.

Game of Thrones actor Kristian Nairn also withdrew from the line-up earlier, on medical grounds.

Two pro dancers – Warr and Caillon – are new for this year.

But not everything has changed.

This year’s hosts are the same – Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman.

There’s no change to the judges’ panel either. Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse, Anton Du Beke and head judge Shirley Ballas will be watching every step taken by the dancers.

‘Anything is possible’

A picture of this year's Strictly celebrity contestants (left-right): Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, Vicky Pattison, Thomas Skinner, Ross King, George Clarke, Stefan Dennis, Dani Dyer, Alex Kingston, Balvinder Sopal, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Karen Carney, Ellie Goldstein, Chris Robshaw, Lewis Cope & La Voix

Weeks of intense training lie ahead. So why would anyone go on the show?

Alex Kingston, a star of stage and screen for more than 40 years, including in Doctor Who and ER, said she’s taking part to show others “anything is possible”.

“To be perfectly honest, I don’t feel necessarily any different than I did 20 years ago,” the 62-year-old said.

“And so I just think, if it’s something that you want to do, go for it. And also it’s important to stay healthy and to learn things.”

Meanwhile Neighbours star Stefan Dennis has a very personal reason for wanting to appear on Strictly.

“I actually am doing this for my wife, so I can dance with her,” the 66-year-old told me.

“My wife was a professional dancer, she is still is a dancer, and she’s married to a bloke who can’t dance to save his life. And it would just be really nice to take her out dancing.”

‘It’s totally different to anything’

A picture of the Strictly judges, left to right: Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse, Shirley Ballas & Anton Du Beke

When I meet the couples at Elstree studios in Hertfordshire, they’ve been busy practising for the group routine.

Not everyone showed up for the interviews. Former Apprentice star Thomas Skinner dropped out of his slot the night before.

Skinner also walked out of a press event early, after seeing a message on a reporter’s phone which – he later said – “caught [him] off guard”.

I asked the celebrities who did turn up, how the training was going.

“It’s hard for me to let go of the whole, ‘I don’t dance’ thing, and just fully get into it, but that’s what I want to do. And I feel like I’ve started a bit… maybe,” said YouTuber and podcaster George Clarke, 25.

Clarke also told me he was ready for some hard home truths about his moves.

“I think it would be silly for me to turn up and think, week one, well, I’m going to go out there and the judge is going to say, ‘I’ve never seen anything like this’,” he said.

“I’m inviting it, because I think I’ll most likely be like, that’s fair enough.”

Former Team GB sprinter Harry Aikines-Aryeetey – also known as Nitro in Gladiators – is no stranger to performing in front of audiences.

But the 37-year-old said Strictly is “totally different” to anything he’s used to.

“I’m learning more about myself through the process,” he said.

“Obviously, I’m not trained in any capacity in this way of life,” he added. “So I’m quite excited to see how I deal with that.”

‘I’m absolutely petrified’

That’s not to say there aren’t nerves though.

EastEnders star Balvinder Sopal, 46, said being on Strictly was a “dream”, who fell in love with the first series and has been hooked ever since.

“And now that I’m here, I’m absolutely petrified,” she laughed. “I don’t really know what to expect. I just keep thinking, have I made the wrong decision? I haven’t, but yes, it’s quite terrifying being on the actual other side of it.”

Model and actress Ellie Goldstein, 23, also admitted to feeling nervous.

She said she was particularly worried about learning the Charleston and the tango.

But Goldstein – who is the first star with Down’s syndrome to take part in a regular series of the dance show – also gave an insight into what she is most looking forward to.

“The spray tans, the hair and make-up, and the sparkles, the costumes… and the glamour,” she said.

Strictly controversy

Strictly, which has been airing since 2004, has faced multiple controversies in recent years relating to the behaviour of some of its professionals and celebrity guests.

This summer, the Metropolitan Police said it was investigating allegations of drug use on the show.

Separately, an unnamed star from the show was arrested on suspicion of rape. It is understood the man is not related to the new series of Strictly.

When asked whether the various controversies had put her off taking part in the show, Kingston said they hadn’t.

“I don’t really follow anything that’s outside of the actual show or the programme itself. So no, that didn’t bother me at all actually. I just wanted to get on with learning how to dance.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” added Australian actor Dennis. “Remember I come from the other side of the world.”

The Strictly live shows will run from Saturday right the way up to December.

This year’s series will also include all the usual theme weeks, including the Blackpool week.

Earlier this month, Strictly proved it remains a hit with viewers, who voted it best talent show at the National Television Awards.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Shocking reality of 100 families living beneath Manila highways in the Philippines

In parts of northern Manila, the sound of traffic never fully stops. Beneath elevated expressways where thousands of vehicles pass each day, there are narrow settlements built into the shadows of concrete pillars and drainage channels. Read More

Quote of the day by English physicist Brian Cox: “We explore because we are curious, not because we wish to develop grand views of...

Brian Cox (Image: Wikipedia) Something is interesting about human beings that appears very early in life. Children ask endless questions before they know anything about science, philosophy or technology. Read More

Trump Says He’ll Skip His Son’s Wedding Amid Iran War: ‘My Love For The US…’

Donald Trump says he will skip Donald Trump Jr.s wedding to stay in Washington, citing government duties amid heightened US foreign policy and national security tensions. Read More

Russia’s Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory

Ukraine said it hit Russia’s elite Rubicon drone military unit in a Moscow-occupied part of eastern Ukraine. Read More

Rubio tries to reassure Nato allies over US troop deployments

President Donald Trump says he wants to send more troops to Poland, a week after his officials cancelled a similar deployment. Read More

Topics

Shocking reality of 100 families living beneath Manila highways in the Philippines

In parts of northern Manila, the sound of traffic never fully stops. Beneath elevated expressways where thousands of vehicles pass each day, there are narrow settlements built into the shadows of concrete pillars and drainage channels. Read More

Quote of the day by English physicist Brian Cox: “We explore because we are curious, not because we wish to develop grand views of...

Brian Cox (Image: Wikipedia) Something is interesting about human beings that appears very early in life. Children ask endless questions before they know anything about science, philosophy or technology. Read More

Trump Says He’ll Skip His Son’s Wedding Amid Iran War: ‘My Love For The US…’

Donald Trump says he will skip Donald Trump Jr.s wedding to stay in Washington, citing government duties amid heightened US foreign policy and national security tensions. Read More

Russia’s Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory

Ukraine said it hit Russia’s elite Rubicon drone military unit in a Moscow-occupied part of eastern Ukraine. Read More

Rubio tries to reassure Nato allies over US troop deployments

President Donald Trump says he wants to send more troops to Poland, a week after his officials cancelled a similar deployment. Read More

J-K education minister calls for adopting roadmap to curb drug abuse in educational institutions

Srinagar, May 22 (PTI): Jammu and Kashmir Education Minister Sakeena Itoo on Friday called for adopting comprehensive roadmap and awareness mechanism to curb drug abuse in educational institutions across the Union Territory. Read More

ISL clubs warn AIFF of shutdown threat as uncertainty over league future continues: ‘We are now compelled to…’

ISL clubs have warned the AIFF over growing uncertainty around Indian football’s future just ahead of a crucial Special General Body Meeting. The latest threat comes as disputes over the league’s commercial rights continue. Read More

Disused London Tube platform turned into Nato military HQ for large-scale war game

Britain’s Ministry of Defence said on Friday that the exercise was designed to test technologies and operational methods that could be used in real-world scenarios if Nato were required to defend its European allies, according to a report Go to Sou Read More

Related Articles