Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Kia CEO signals price cuts in Europe to fend off Chinese competition

South Korea’s Kia Corp has reduced price gaps with Chinese rivals in Europe this year, its CEO said, ​signalling a price war as Chinese carmakers ​ramp up their push into a key overseas market amid slowing growth at home.

The strategy helped Kia, which together with Hyundai Motor is ranked third in global vehicle sales, increase its global revenue and buck a broader market decline, Kia CEO Song Ho-sung said at the company’s Investor Day event held earlier this month.

Starting this year, Kia has narrowed its ‌vehicle price gap with ⁠Chinese models ⁠in Europe to 15-20 per cent from 20-25 per cent previously depending on markets, Song said, according to a recording of the event obtained by Reuters.

The move highlights ​how Europe has become a key battleground between legacy automakers and Chinese electric vehicle firms such as BYD, as they pursue rapid ​overseas expansion amid flagging sales in China and effective exclusion from the U.S. market.

BYD car registrations in Europe grew nearly 150 per cent in March, far exceeding an 11 per cent rise in overall sales and the 6 per cent growth reported by Kia and Hyundai.

The ​European surge in Chinese car sales has forced rivals to offer discounts ⁠and introduce ‌more affordable models.

Song said Kia would be able to leverage its solid profits to compete ​with Chinese rivals.

The ​automaker, however, reported on Friday a quarterly profit decline, partly due to its sales incentives ⁠in Europe to respond to growing China competition.

“Chinese companies launched an aggressive ​push with low-priced EV models, and in some European countries their market share has been ​rising much faster than we had anticipated,” Kia said during an earnings conference call.

Kia did not immediately reply to a request for comment on Song’s remarks.

Song anticipates the restructuring in China’s auto industry would arrive earlier than expected, as Beijing’s strategic focus shifts from autos to other industries such as artificial intelligence and robotics.

In October, Beijing signalled that it is willing to pull the plug on subsidies for its EV industry after years of government support ‌fuelled a boom that has left the world’s largest car market grappling with severe oversupply, a key driver of Chinese automakers’ overseas push.

“Since they would no longer be able to receive ​support from the Chinese ​government, Chinese automakers lack the ⁠firepower needed to push forward further,” Song told investors.

“It appears the time for restructuring may be approaching. Until then, we should continue pursuing a growth strategy, leveraging our … war chest.”

Hyundai Motor CEO Jose Munoz struck a similar tone about Chinese ​rivals last week, stressing its ability to grow profitably.

“We are not able to grow at the same pace as they’ve been growing all together, but we’ve been able to grow to be very profitable.”

“We do it all by ourselves. So we only get our own support,” he said.

China’s car sales fell by 18 per cent in the first quarter from a year earlier and are expected to remain flat or down for the foreseeable future.

  • Published On Apr 27, 2026 at 12:04 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Topics

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Nita Ambani’s Handwoven Banarasi Butidar Suit Celebrates India’s Rich Textile Heritage

Crafted in luxurious Katan silk using the intricate Kadwa technique, each motif in this Butidar design was individually woven by master artisans Haji Nafees Ahmad and Naseem Ahmad. Read More

2 Indians die on Everest after summiting; 3rd critical at South Col

Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to Camp 4 from Camp 3 on their way to ascend Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, also known as the Everest region. Read More

Twisha death case: Accused husband’s surrender, CCTV question and angry lawyer – key points

– NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willin Read More

Related Articles