Wednesday, February 18, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Your Next Smartphone Will Have THIS Govt App Pre-Installed… And You Can’t Remove It

India’s telecom ministry has asked every smartphone company to preload all new phones with a government-owned cybersecurity app called Sanchar Saathi. This order has been sent privately to phone makers, and it is expected to create a big clash with Apple because Apple normally does not allow any government or third-party apps to be pre-installed before a phone is sold. 

India is one of the biggest mobile markets in the world with over 1.2 billion subscribers, and the government says the app has already helped recover more than 700,000 lost phones.

Telecom Cybersecurity Order For Smartphone Makers

According to the November 28 order, big companies like Apple, Samsung, Vivo, Oppo, and Xiaomi now have 90 days to make sure that the Sanchar Saathi app is pre-installed on all new smartphones. The order also mentions that users will not be able to disable the app. 

Reuters reported that for devices already in the supply chain, the phone makers will have to add the app through a software update. The telecom ministry has not commented on the issue. Apple, Samsung, and Xiaomi have also not given any response yet.

Industry sources say the order was issued without consulting smartphone companies, which has raised worries within the industry. Apple has strict internal rules that do not allow any app, especially government or third-party, to be installed before a device is sold, so this directive goes against Apple’s policy. 

This is not the first time Apple and the Indian telecom regulator have disagreed. They have had earlier arguments over a government anti-spam app as well.

What Can The Sanchar Saathi App Do?

The government says this step is important because duplicate or fake IMEI numbers are being used for scams, phone theft, and misuse of telecom networks. IMEI is a 14- to 17-digit number that is unique for every phone and helps block stolen phones from accessing networks. 

The Sanchar Saathi app lets users verify IMEI numbers, report suspicious calls, and block stolen devices. The government says the app has more than 5 million downloads and has helped block over 3.7 million lost or stolen phones. 

More than 30 million fake connections have also been terminated. The government believes this app supports cybersecurity and helps the police trace stolen devices and reduce the circulation of counterfeit phones.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Hate speech PIL ‘targets’ BJP CMs: Supreme Court

Representational image NEW DELHI: SC on Tuesday criticised 12 ’eminent’ persons who together filed a PIL “targeting” CMs of BJP-governed states for alleged hate speeches while making a plea for framing guidel Read More

Madras HC reverses 2017 acquittal, convicts 21 in murder case

Madras HC CHENNAI: Over eight years after a trial court acquitted 23 accused of killing a man over an election rivalry in Villupuram in 2013, Madras HC on Tuesday reversed the order and convicted and sentenced 21 of them to life imp Read More

Salim Khan hospitalised: Fans SLAM paparazzi

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was visibly frustrated with paparazzi as he left the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after visiting his father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who is currently und Read More

Topics

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Hate speech PIL ‘targets’ BJP CMs: Supreme Court

Representational image NEW DELHI: SC on Tuesday criticised 12 ’eminent’ persons who together filed a PIL “targeting” CMs of BJP-governed states for alleged hate speeches while making a plea for framing guidel Read More

Madras HC reverses 2017 acquittal, convicts 21 in murder case

Madras HC CHENNAI: Over eight years after a trial court acquitted 23 accused of killing a man over an election rivalry in Villupuram in 2013, Madras HC on Tuesday reversed the order and convicted and sentenced 21 of them to life imp Read More

Salim Khan hospitalised: Fans SLAM paparazzi

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan was visibly frustrated with paparazzi as he left the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after visiting his father, veteran screenwriter Salim Khan, who is currently und Read More

95-yr-old unable to walk, court goes to him, delivers verdict

Representational image PATNA: The justice clock at Patna district courts ticked towards a rare moment on Monday when special judge Avinash Kumar of the CBI court delivered the verdict in a 15-year-old bank fraud case not inside a co Read More

Loosening pyjama string is ‘attempt to rape’: SC sets aside controversial Allahabad HC ruling

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that groping a female and untying her pyjama string constituted “attempt to rape” and set aside Allahabad HC’s controversial judgment terming the offence not Read More

Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth SPLIT a year ago

Hollywood couple Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth have reportedly pulled the plug on their marriage. Read More

Related Articles