Saturday, February 21, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

South Korea says it cannot pay $350 billion in US trade deal, seeks alternatives

South Korea said it cannot provide the $350 billion investment upfront in the United States as President Donald Trump suggested and is seeking alternative arrangements, warning that such a payment could threaten the country’s economy.

South Korea said it cannot provide the $350 billion investment upfront in the United States as President Donald Trump suggested and is seeking alternative solutions, a presidential adviser said on Saturday.

Following a July handshake deal to lower US tariffs to 15 per cent from 25 per cent, South Korea had pledged $350 billion toward US projects, but the investment was planned in the form of loans, loan guarantees, and equity.

Trump this week said South Korea would provide the amount “upfront,” despite Seoul warning that such a payment could push Asia’s fourth-largest economy into a financial crisis.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“The position we’re talking about is not a negotiating tactic, but rather, it is objectively and realistically not a level we are able to handle,” South Korea’s National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac told Channel A News. “We are not able to pay $350 billion in cash.”

South Korea has also resisted US demands for control over the funds, and officials say talks to formalise the trade deal are at a deadlock.

On Thursday, Trump highlighted the sums brought in by his tariffs, saying: “We have in Japan it’s $550 billion, South Korea’s $350 billion. That’s upfront.”

President Lee Jae Myung told Reuters last week that without safeguards such as a currency swap, making such a massive outlay could trigger a crisis, given South Korea’s $410 billion in foreign exchange reserves.

Wi said the government is exploring alternatives and hopes to finalise the trade deal at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in South Korea next month, which Trump is expected to attend.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Babloo Mukherjee talks about his failed marriage, falling out with his children

Veteran actor Babloo Mukherjee candidly discussed his past, including a marriage at 17 and his subsequent divorce. Read More

Brad Pitt and Ines de Ramon make a stylish Greece appearance

credit-instagram/@vogue Brad Pitt and Ines de Ramon have stepped back into the spotlight with a charming public outing in Greece. Read More

Conan O’Brien opens up about Rob Reiner’s tragic demise

Conan O’Brien finally opened up about the night everything changed, the night Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner left his holiday party and never made it home. Read More

Liza Minnelli accuses Oscars of ‘forcing’ her to use a wheelchair

Liza Minnelli unveiled a poignant memory from the 2022 Oscars, where she was unexpectedly placed in a wheelchair for her presentation with Lady Gaga. Read More

PM Modi’s Israel Visit: Anti-Ballistic Missile System, Advanced Weapons In Focus

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Israel on February 25-26 for a two-day visit, a trip expected to further strengthen defence and strategic cooperation between the two nations. Read More

Topics

Babloo Mukherjee talks about his failed marriage, falling out with his children

Veteran actor Babloo Mukherjee candidly discussed his past, including a marriage at 17 and his subsequent divorce. Read More

Brad Pitt and Ines de Ramon make a stylish Greece appearance

credit-instagram/@vogue Brad Pitt and Ines de Ramon have stepped back into the spotlight with a charming public outing in Greece. Read More

Conan O’Brien opens up about Rob Reiner’s tragic demise

Conan O’Brien finally opened up about the night everything changed, the night Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner left his holiday party and never made it home. Read More

Liza Minnelli accuses Oscars of ‘forcing’ her to use a wheelchair

Liza Minnelli unveiled a poignant memory from the 2022 Oscars, where she was unexpectedly placed in a wheelchair for her presentation with Lady Gaga. Read More

PM Modi’s Israel Visit: Anti-Ballistic Missile System, Advanced Weapons In Focus

Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Israel on February 25-26 for a two-day visit, a trip expected to further strengthen defence and strategic cooperation between the two nations. Read More

Neal Katyal: The Indian-origin lawyer who got Trump tariffs cancelled in US Supreme Court

Indian-origin lawyer Neal Katyal played a central role in the Supreme Court decision that struck down President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs Go to Source Read More

Nothing changes for India-US trade, says Trump after Supreme Court ruling on tariffs

US President Donald Trump confirmed on Friday that nothing has changed in the trade deal between India and the United States after the American Supreme Court ruled that his trade tariffs are ‘illegal’ Go to Source Read More

Related Articles