Monday, August 17, 2026
29 C
New Delhi

Why did Israel attack Hamas leaders in Qatar, a key mediator in Gaza conflict?

Israel is calling it “Operation Summit of Fire”. In a shocking development, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) carried out airstrikes on senior Hamas leaders in Qatar’s capital, Doha, on Tuesday (September 9). It claimed to have targeted those “directly responsible for the brutal October 7 massacre”.

The strike came a day after day after six Israelis were killed and eight others wounded by Palestinian gunmen in one of the deadliest shooting attacks in Jerusalem in recent years.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

As Israel took “full responsibility” for the Doha strikes, Qatar accused the nation of “reckless behaviour”.

Here’s what we know about the Israeli offensive and its fallout.

How and where did Israel carry out the Doha attack?

Israel launched airstrikes on a meeting of Hamas officials in Doha around 3 pm local time on Tuesday. Multiple explosions were heard in the capital, as plumes of smoke rose above the city skyline.

A section of a complex on Wadi Rawdan Street, close to the West Bay Lagoon district north of central Doha, was heavily damaged.

The Israeli military claims to have conducted a “precise strike” targeting senior Hamas leaders in Qatar using “precise munitions”. Reports in the Israeli media say that 15 Israeli fighter jets were used in “Operation Summit of Fire”.

In a statement on social media, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the “action against the top terrorist chieftains of Hamas was a wholly independent Israeli operation”. “Israel initiated it, Israel conducted it, and Israel takes full responsibility,” he claimed.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

This is the first time the Jewish nation has attacked Qatar, which has played a key role as a negotiator between Hamas and Israel since the October 7 attacks. The Gulf nation has hosted the political bureau of Hamas since 2012.

Why did Israel carry out the attack?

The Israeli airstrike targeted a meeting of Hamas’s top leadership, which was set to discuss a new hostage-ceasefire proposal by the US.

At the gathering were all of the militant group’s top leadership, including the leader of Hamas’s Gaza units, Khalil al-Hayya; Zaher Jabarin, who leads Hamas in the West Bank; Muhammad Darwish, the head of Hamas’s Shura Council; Nizar Awadallah, and Khaled Mashaal, the head of Hamas abroad, reports The Times of Israel.

A statement on the Israeli PM’s X account said on Tuesday, “ Yesterday, after the murderous attacks in Jerusalem and Gaza, Prime Minister Netanyahu directed all security elements to prepare for the possibility of striking the Hamas leadership.”

“The Prime Minister and the Defense Minister believed that the action was fully justified given the fact that it was this Hamas leadership that initiated and organized the October 7 massacre. And since then has not ceased from launching murderous operations against the State of Israel and its citizens, including taking responsibility for the murder of our citizens in yesterday’s [Monday] terrorist attack in Jerusalem,” it added.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Who was killed in the attack?

According to Hamas, members of its negotiating delegation were targeted in Doha but survived the strike. It claimed that six others, including a Qatari security official, were killed.

Those who died included Humam al-Hayya (Abu Yahya), the son of the chief negotiator Khalil al-Hayya; Jihad Labad (Abu Bilal), the director of al-Hayya’s office; Abdullah Abdul Wahid (Abu Khalil); Moamen Hassouna (Abu Omar); Ahmed al-Mamluk (Abu Malik); and Corporal Badr Saad Mohammed al-Humaidi, a Qatari internal security officer.

“We confirm the enemy’s failure to assassinate our brothers in the negotiating delegation,” a Hamas statement said. It added that the attack “confirms beyond doubt that Netanyahu and his government do not want to reach any agreement” for peace.

Smoke rises after several blasts were heard in Doha, Qatar. Reuters

According to a senior Israeli official, Khalil al-Hayya and Zaher Jabarin, the exiled West Bank leader, were targeted, reports the BBC.

While the Hamas statement suggests that the strike was a failure, Israel is said to be “increasingly optimistic” about the results. However, it is assessing the outcome.

How has Qatar responded?

The Qatari government called the attack reckless and cowardly, and a blatant violation of all international laws and norms.

Majed al-Ansari, a spokesperson for Qatar’s foreign minister, said in a statement, “This criminal attack constitutes a flagrant violation of all international laws and norms and a serious threat to the security and safety of Qataris and residents of Qatar.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“While strongly condemning this attack, the State of Qatar affirms that it will not tolerate this reckless Israeli behaviour and its continued tampering with regional security, as well as any action targeting its security and sovereignty. Investigations are underway at the highest level, and further details will be announced as soon as they become available.”

In this frame grab taken from video, Qatar Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani addresses the press in Doha. Qatar condemned the Israeli attack, calling it ‘cowardly’

Did the US know about the attack? How has it reacted?

Netanyahu claimed that the attack was an independent Israeli operation. However, US was informed about the strikes because of the proximity of the huge US airbase – the Al Udeid, on the outskirts of Doha.

Hours after the attack, US President Donald Trump said that the strike was “a decision made by Prime Minister Netanyahu, it was not a decision made by me”. Potus said that he “immediately directed” US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff to inform Qatar when he was notified about the attack, but said the notification was made “too late” to stop it.

However, Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said his country was only notified as the bombs were falling.

“I view Qatar as a strong Ally and friend of the US, and feel very badly about the location of the attack,” he wrote in the post, adding that he had assured its leaders that “such a thing will not happen again on their soil,” Trump added.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

When questioned about the strikes later, Trump told the media, “Well, I’m not thrilled… I’m just I’m not thrilled about the whole situation. It’s not a good situation.”
“But I will say this, we want the hostages back, but we are not thrilled about the way that went down today,” he added.

The Arab world, Turkey, France and the UK also criticised Israel for the attack.

What does the attack mean for US ties with the Arab nation?

The White House’s knowledge of the attack and its late notification to Qatar does not bode well for America’s relationship with the Gulf nation and its other Arab allies.

“The security of the Arab Gulf states is indivisible, and we stand heart and soul with the sisterly Qatar, condemning the treacherous Israeli attack,” Anwar Gargash, a diplomatic adviser to the rulers of the United Arab Emirates, was quoted as saying by The Associated Press.

Smoke rises from an explosion, caused by an Israeli strike, in Doha. While the senior Hamas leadership escaped the attack, six others were killed. AP

Although the US remains the only country willing to station thousands of troops across the Persian Gulf, the perception of Washington as an unreliable ally to Gulf Arab nations has grown in recent years, analysts say. The UAE and Saudi Arabia, in particular, have sought to diversify their relationships, growing closer to China and Russia.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“They don’t want to rely solely on the US for security; they want ties with a range of global actors,” said Will Todman, a senior fellow with the Middle East programme at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. “(Israel’s) strikes will accelerate that trend.”

What happens to the Gaza ceasefire and hostage deal?

Qatar has been at the centre of the negotiations with Israel to end the war in Gaza and free dozens of Israeli hostages held captive by Hamas in the enclave.

Qatari Prime Minister Shaikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said he thought it wasn’t worth continuing the ceasefire negotiations in light of the attack.

Even without killing top Hamas leaders or altering the course of the war, the strike confirmed the worst fears of risk-averse Gulf Arab states, experts said. “The attack was a message not just to Hamas but to the region,” Vakil said. “Military pressure will continue, with Washington seeing Israeli dominance as effective.”

Protesters hold US flags, during a demonstration demanding the immediate release of the hostages, kidnapped during the deadly October 7 attack on Israel by Hamas, in Jerusalem. Reuters

The only way to negotiate a deal is through the Hamas leadership in Doha and through the leaders in Gaza. However, now the Israeli attack has risked this process.

The Doha strike also puts the lives of the remaining hostages at risk. While Hamas has been weakened since the October 7 massacre, the fate of the 20 hostages lies with them. Now there is fear that Hamas could it back by executing one or more of those in captivity. “The aim would be a signal to Israel that the only way to save the hostages is to stop the war and accept Hamas remaining in power in Gaza, which Israel will never do,” former White House Brett H McGurk writes in CNN.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The White House said in a statement that the “unfortunate” strikes could serve as an “opportunity for peace”. Netanyahu said that he is ready to move ahead with the US-proposed deal.

But now the question remains whether Qatar continues to play negotiator and if Hamas is willing to come to the table.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Huge victory for Jharkhand’: Student leader Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike after Soren govt accepts demands

Stude t leade Mahto e ded his fast i Ra chi i the p ese ce of state mi iste s Dipika Pa dey Si gh a d I fa A sa i. Read More

Indian-origin CEO says he starts checking his emails at 4.30 am; ‘If you want to work eight-to five…’

​I dia -o igi CEO says wo k-life bala ce is ot possible at the top. CEO Khozema Shipcha dle said he sta ts checki g his emails at 4.30 am that the w aps up his wo k at 9 pm. Read More

From 5,921m summit, historic glide to Ladakh roadhead

Two mou tai ee s made histo y by pa aglidi g di ectly to a oadhead i Ladakh. Read More

PDP president Mehbooba says she is ‘dimagi Naxal’; NC blames her for Article 370 abrogation

People’s Democ atic Pa ty (PDP) p eside t Mehbooba Mufti SRINAGAR: PDP p eside t Mehbooba Mufti’s X post calli g he self a “dimagi Naxal”, citi g he suppo t fo A ticle 370 of the Co stitutio that g a ted special status to Jammu & K Read More

Trump felicitates lifeguard who saved Indian American kid from surf waves

Washi gto , Aug 17 (PTI): US P eside t Do ald T ump o Mo day felicitated a 16-yea -old lifegua d who saved a 10-yea -old I dia -o igi boy f om getti g washed away at a Califo ia beach last mo th. Read More

Topics

‘Huge victory for Jharkhand’: Student leader Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike after Soren govt accepts demands

Stude t leade Mahto e ded his fast i Ra chi i the p ese ce of state mi iste s Dipika Pa dey Si gh a d I fa A sa i. Read More

Indian-origin CEO says he starts checking his emails at 4.30 am; ‘If you want to work eight-to five…’

​I dia -o igi CEO says wo k-life bala ce is ot possible at the top. CEO Khozema Shipcha dle said he sta ts checki g his emails at 4.30 am that the w aps up his wo k at 9 pm. Read More

From 5,921m summit, historic glide to Ladakh roadhead

Two mou tai ee s made histo y by pa aglidi g di ectly to a oadhead i Ladakh. Read More

PDP president Mehbooba says she is ‘dimagi Naxal’; NC blames her for Article 370 abrogation

People’s Democ atic Pa ty (PDP) p eside t Mehbooba Mufti SRINAGAR: PDP p eside t Mehbooba Mufti’s X post calli g he self a “dimagi Naxal”, citi g he suppo t fo A ticle 370 of the Co stitutio that g a ted special status to Jammu & K Read More

Trump felicitates lifeguard who saved Indian American kid from surf waves

Washi gto , Aug 17 (PTI): US P eside t Do ald T ump o Mo day felicitated a 16-yea -old lifegua d who saved a 10-yea -old I dia -o igi boy f om getti g washed away at a Califo ia beach last mo th. Read More

Snapped power line in waterlogged area electrocutes mother-child in Rishikesh, engineer suspended

Rishikesh/Deh adu , Aug 17 (PTI): A woma ca yi g he two-yea -old daughte walked i to a wate logged a ea of ​​Rishikesh amid heavy ai s, o ly to be elect ocuted by the live cu e t sp eadi g th ough it due to a s apped powe li e. Read More

YEIDA plans medical hub, university township, Taiwan City; move to create new investment avenues

Luck ow, Aug 17 (PTI): The Yamu a Exp essway I dust ial Developme t Autho ity (YEIDA) o Mo day took seve al impo ta t p oposals elated to i dust ial developme t, medical educatio , pha maceuticals, medical devices, t a spo tatio , spo ts a d fa me Read More

Amitabh Bachchan hails UP Police anthem ‘Khaki Ka Sitara’

Luck ow, Aug 17 (PTI): Utta P adesh Police’s fi st official a them, ‘Khaki Ka Sita a’, has bee eleased i a 6.5-mi ute full-le gth video o YouTube, d awi g p aise f om megasta Amitabh Bachcha. Read More

Related Articles