Saturday, May 23, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Over 80 killed in gas explosion at coal mine in China’s Shanxi province

China coal mine blast: Over 80 killed after gas explosion in Shanxi; rescue operations for trapped under way

Picture from X

A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city in northern China has killed at least 82 people, AFP reported on Saturday.The explosion in northern China’s led to a major rescue operation after hundreds of workers were trapped underground, according to South China Morning Post.The blast took place on Friday in Qinyuan county, around 520 km southwest of Beijing, shortly after the mine reportedly issued a carbon monoxide alert. At the time of the explosion, 247 workers were underground. Authorities have not yet clarified whether additional miners remain trapped.Chinese president Xi Jinping directed rescuers to “make every effort” to locate the missing workers and ensure the aftermath is “properly handled.” He also called for strict accountability, saying those responsible for the accident must be held to account.“All regions and departments must learn from the lessons of the accident, remain vigilant regarding workplace safety, thoroughly investigate, rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers, and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and serious accidents,” Xi said.Xi additionally warned about seasonal weather risks, noting that China is entering its rainy season and urging authorities to strengthen flood prevention measures. The warning comes days after severe rainfall in Shimen county in Hunan province left at least seven people dead and affected more than 100,000 residents. Local authorities said 14 people remain missing.Chinese premier Li Qiang echoed Xi’s remarks, ordering authorities to spare no effort in searching for the missing miners. He also demanded a swift investigation into the cause of the blast and punishment for those found responsible.Li further instructed the State Council’s workplace safety office to remind local administrations of their duty to investigate industrial accidents and “resolutely” prevent future disasters.The death toll from the blast rose sharply from 8 to 82 overnight. State broadcaster CCTV said, “Reporters at the scene of the gas explosion at the Liushenyu Coal Mine… have learnt that the accident has claimed the lives of over 82 people,” adding that rescue operations were still underway.The explosion took place around 7:30 pm local time on Friday at the coal mine in Shanxi province in northern China.The exact cause of the explosion is still under investigation.Shanxi is China’s main coal-producing province and is larger than Greece. Around 34 million people live there. Last year, miners in the province extracted about 1.3 billion tons of coal, nearly one-third of China’s total coal output.

Go to Source

Hot this week

No place for women in Trump’s Cabinet? Tulsi Gabbard is the latest casualty

Tulsi Gabbard on Friday (May 22) said she is resigning as the US Director of National Intelligence, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of an extremely rare bone cancer. She is the fourth Trump Cabinet member to depart this year — all were women. Read More

Iran mocks Trump with viral Bangladeshi buffalo video amid tensions with US

Iran mocked US President Donald Trump online by sharing a viral video of a Bangladeshi albino buffalo said to resemble him amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington Go to Source Read More

‘Take him home to mummy’: Trump mocks protesters and revives familiar attacks during New York rally

US President Donald Trump mixed economic messaging with attacks on Democrats, Biden and cultural issues during a rally in New York that was briefly disrupted by protesters, as he sought to energise Republican supporters ahead of the upcoming midterm Read More

‘Call Me Tyrant Or Dictator, But Not Dumb’: Trump Defends Mental Fitness

Trump’s remarks come amid continuing political debate in the United States over the age and mental fitness of senior leaders. Read More

Youth employment push: PM Modi distributes over 51,000 appointment letters at 19th Rozgar Mela

Image credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits at the 19th Rozgar Mela via video conferencing, as part of the government’s broad Read More

Topics

No place for women in Trump’s Cabinet? Tulsi Gabbard is the latest casualty

Tulsi Gabbard on Friday (May 22) said she is resigning as the US Director of National Intelligence, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of an extremely rare bone cancer. She is the fourth Trump Cabinet member to depart this year — all were women. Read More

Iran mocks Trump with viral Bangladeshi buffalo video amid tensions with US

Iran mocked US President Donald Trump online by sharing a viral video of a Bangladeshi albino buffalo said to resemble him amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington Go to Source Read More

‘Take him home to mummy’: Trump mocks protesters and revives familiar attacks during New York rally

US President Donald Trump mixed economic messaging with attacks on Democrats, Biden and cultural issues during a rally in New York that was briefly disrupted by protesters, as he sought to energise Republican supporters ahead of the upcoming midterm Read More

‘Call Me Tyrant Or Dictator, But Not Dumb’: Trump Defends Mental Fitness

Trump’s remarks come amid continuing political debate in the United States over the age and mental fitness of senior leaders. Read More

Youth employment push: PM Modi distributes over 51,000 appointment letters at 19th Rozgar Mela

Image credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits at the 19th Rozgar Mela via video conferencing, as part of the government’s broad Read More

‘World Excited About India’s Youth, Wants To Join Nation’s Growth Journey’: PM Modi

PM Modi also underlined the growing importance of clean energy, green hydrogen, sustainable manufacturing and critical minerals in the global economy. Read More

10-Year-Old Girl Kidnapped, Murdered In Coimbatore While Going To Grocery Store; Family Stages Protest

The accused, identified as Karthik of Nagapattinam, 33, is a resident of Pallapalayam near Sulur. Read More

Ministries Get ‘Report Cards’ At PM Modi Meet; Best, Worst Performers Reviewed

Reports said the ministries of consumer affairs, coal, power and health performed strongly across various categories assessed during the review. Read More

Related Articles