Friday, May 22, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

US-Iran Talks Show Signs Of Progress, But Uranium, Hormuz Remain Key Hurdles

The United States and Iran continued to hold sharply differing positions on Tehran’s uranium stockpile and its control over the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, although officials on both sides acknowledged that recent diplomatic contacts had yielded limited progress.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “some good signs” emerging from the talks, while cautioning against excessive optimism as negotiations continued, Reuters reported.

“There’s some good signs,” Rubio told reporters. “I don’t want to be overly optimistic … So, let’s see what happens over the next few days.”

The remarks came as US President Donald Trump reiterated Washington’s intention to ultimately seize Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile, which the US believes could be used for developing nuclear weapons. Tehran has consistently maintained that its nuclear activities are solely for peaceful purposes.

“We will get it. We don’t need it, we don’t want it. We’ll probably destroy it after we get it, but we’re not going to let them have it,” Trump said at the White House.

ALSO READ: Hormuz Crisis: India Prioritises Return Of Stranded Vessels Before Fresh Sailings

Strait Of Hormuz Remains Central Dispute

Rubio also warned that any Iranian attempt to impose fees or restrictions on passage through the Strait of Hormuz would undermine diplomatic efforts and destabilise global trade.

“It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it’s a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it’s completely illegal,” Rubio said.

Trump similarly criticised Tehran’s proposal to levy charges on vessels passing through the strategic waterway, through which nearly one-fifth of global oil and gas supplies moved before the conflict erupted earlier this year.

“We want it open, we want it free. We don’t want tolls,” Trump said. “It’s an international waterway.”

Iran, however, has continued to assert sovereignty claims over the strait. Tehran’s deputy foreign minister on Thursday again defended Iran’s position regarding control over the passage.

According to Iranian state media, authorities were considering reopening the strait to countries deemed friendly and willing to comply with Iranian conditions, potentially including transit fees.

ALSO READ: Asim Munir Flies To Tehran With Iran-US Talks Nearing Turning Point

Gaps Narrowed, But No Breakthrough Yet

A senior Iranian source told Reuters that although no formal agreement had been reached, negotiations had narrowed differences between the two sides. The source identified uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz as the principal unresolved issues.

Two senior Iranian officials separately told Reuters before Trump’s remarks that Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei had directed that the country’s uranium stockpile should not be transferred abroad.

Trump has repeatedly warned that the United States is prepared to resume military strikes against Iran if negotiations fail to produce what he described as the “right answers” from Tehran’s leadership.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards responded by warning that renewed attacks would trigger retaliatory actions extending beyond the region.

Mediation Efforts Continue

Diplomatic efforts aimed at ending the conflict have shown limited visible progress since a fragile ceasefire took hold six weeks ago.

Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir was expected to travel to Tehran for further mediation efforts, Reuters reported citing sources familiar with the negotiations.

“We’re speaking to all the various groups in Iran to streamline communication and so things pick up pace,” one source familiar with the talks said. “Trump’s patience running thin is a concern, but we’re working on the pace at which messages are relayed from each side.”

Earlier this week, Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi visited Tehran for the second time in a week, carrying a message from Washington, according to Iran’s semi-official ISNA news agency.

During the visit, Naqvi met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and other senior officials.

ALSO READ: Ebola Virus Outbreak: India-Africa Forum Summit Postponed

Energy Markets Under Pressure

The prolonged impasse has continued to rattle global energy markets amid fears of supply disruptions in the Middle East.

The International Energy Agency warned on Thursday that the conflict had triggered the world’s most severe energy shock in recent years.

The agency cautioned that peak summer demand combined with constrained Middle Eastern supply could push energy markets into a “red zone” during July and August.

Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains sharply below pre-war levels. Iranian state media outlet IRNA reported that only 31 ships transited the strait over the previous 24 hours under coordination with the Iranian navy, compared with the 125 to 140 daily passages recorded before the conflict.

Broader Strategic Objectives

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have said their objectives include curbing Iran’s support for regional proxy groups, dismantling its nuclear programme and missile capabilities, and weakening the Iranian leadership domestically.

Despite months of conflict and sanctions pressure, Iran is believed to have retained its stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium as well as its capacity to project military influence through missiles, drones and allied militias across the region.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Billie Jean King enrolled in college in 1961, completed graduation in 2026 and transformed women’s tennis in between

Billie Jean King has added another achievement to her list of incredible feats. She is now a graduate, 65 years after starting her history degree in Los Angeles. Read More

Covid, hantavirus, ebola… post-outbreak rush can’t protect people: Virologist on pandemic scare

As health authorities scramble to track and treat suspected cases, virologist Emma Thomson has said that the surging hantavirus and ebola outbreaks have exposed weaknesses in the global public health response. Read More

Diana Penty Serves Riviera Glam In Butter Yellow Off-Shoulder Dress At Cannes 2026

Diana Penty embraced effortless luxury at Cannes 2026 in a dreamy butter-yellow gown styled with Chanel sunglasses and minimal jewellery. Read More

‘Painful And Heartbreaking’: NCW Twisha Sharma’s Mother-In-Law Over ‘Character Assassination’ After Death

The NCW chief said the Commission has taken suo motu cognisance of the matter and sought an Action Taken Report from the authorities. Read More

Falta Repoll Sees Over 86% Turnout After TMC Candidate Quits, BJP Eyes Victory

Falta Repoll: If the BJP wins Falta, its tally in the 2026 West Bengal Assembly elections will rise to 208 seats. Read More

Topics

Billie Jean King enrolled in college in 1961, completed graduation in 2026 and transformed women’s tennis in between

Billie Jean King has added another achievement to her list of incredible feats. She is now a graduate, 65 years after starting her history degree in Los Angeles. Read More

Covid, hantavirus, ebola… post-outbreak rush can’t protect people: Virologist on pandemic scare

As health authorities scramble to track and treat suspected cases, virologist Emma Thomson has said that the surging hantavirus and ebola outbreaks have exposed weaknesses in the global public health response. Read More

Diana Penty Serves Riviera Glam In Butter Yellow Off-Shoulder Dress At Cannes 2026

Diana Penty embraced effortless luxury at Cannes 2026 in a dreamy butter-yellow gown styled with Chanel sunglasses and minimal jewellery. Read More

‘Painful And Heartbreaking’: NCW Twisha Sharma’s Mother-In-Law Over ‘Character Assassination’ After Death

The NCW chief said the Commission has taken suo motu cognisance of the matter and sought an Action Taken Report from the authorities. Read More

Falta Repoll Sees Over 86% Turnout After TMC Candidate Quits, BJP Eyes Victory

Falta Repoll: If the BJP wins Falta, its tally in the 2026 West Bengal Assembly elections will rise to 208 seats. Read More

Mohanlal gets emotional after ‘Drishyam 3’ FDFS

FB Drishyam 3 has finally arrived in theatres, and the Mohanlal starrer has opened to massive excitement among audiences. Read More

Yash’s ‘Toxic’ targets Rajinikanth’s ‘Jailer 2’ release slot

Fresh buzz from the South film industry suggests that the release calendar for two major pan-Indian films could change soon. Read More

National Security Threat? Why Cockroach Janata Party Got Suspended From X: Report

The X account of ‘Cockroach Janta Party’, a satirical social media handle created after remarks by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant triggered controversy, was withheld in India on Thursday following directions from the Centre over alleg Read More

Related Articles