Thursday, May 21, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

‘Hair on fire’: Trump, Netanyahu call turns tense over Iran strategy

‘Hair on fire’: Donald Trump, Netanyahu call turns tense as both leaders clash over Iran strategy

File photo

US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense phone call on Tuesday over efforts to secure a new agreement with Iran, with differences emerging over whether diplomacy should continue or military action should resume, according to US media reports.As per Axios, Trump and Netanyahu discussed a revised peace proposal drafted by Qatar and Pakistan, with support from other regional mediators, aimed at bridging gaps between Washington and Tehran.One source quoted by Axios described Netanyahu’s reaction after the call by saying his “hair was on fire”.Trump has continued to publicly express hope that a deal can still be reached with Iran, while also warning that military strikes remain an option if negotiations fail.“We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump said on Wednesday.Later, he added that talks were “right on the borderline” between an agreement and renewed conflict.

Netanyahu pushes for tougher military approach

Reportedly, Netanyahu remains deeply sceptical of negotiations and wants Israel and the US to resume military operations against Iran to further weaken Tehran’s military and strategic infrastructure. According to CNN, Netanyahu told Trump during the hour-long call that delaying planned strikes against Iran was a mistake and argued for continuing military action. The report said the Israeli leadership is increasingly frustrated with what it views as Iran’s diplomatic “foot-dragging”.Trump had earlier informed Netanyahu that the US was likely to move ahead with targeted attacks on Iran under a proposed operation called “Operation Sledgehammer”. However, within a day, Trump paused the strikes after requests from Gulf allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.Trump informed Netanyahu during Tuesday’s call that mediators were working on a “letter of intent” that the US and Iran could sign to formally end the war and begin a 30-day negotiation process covering Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

New mediation efforts under way

As per Axios, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt have been actively refining a new draft proposal over recent days. Qatar reportedly sent a delegation to Tehran earlier this week for talks with Iranian officials.Iran confirmed it is reviewing the updated proposal. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had “received the points of view of the American side” and was examining them.Iran has continued to demand the release of frozen assets and an end to what it describes as US “piracy” against Iranian shipping.Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stressed diplomacy in a statement, saying, “Iran has consistently honoured its commitments and explored every avenue to avert war; all paths remain open from our side.”

Trump warns diplomacy window could close

Despite ongoing talks, Trump has repeatedly warned that the window for diplomacy could close quickly.“It’s right on the borderline, believe me,” Trump said. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go.”Trump also said Netanyahu would ultimately follow Washington’s lead on Iran. “Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to do,” he said.Meanwhile, Israel’s military leadership has maintained a high state of readiness. Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said the military was “prepared for any development”.The diplomatic efforts come after an April 8 ceasefire halted open fighting between Iran, the US and Israel, though tensions remain high and the Strait of Hormuz continues to face major disruptions affecting global energy markets. Go to Source

Hot this week

French Open staring at players’ revolt? Tennis stars plan major media presence decision

Top players including Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka and Coco Gauff have publicly expressed disappointment over pay allocation at Grand Slams and the players seem set to revolt now. Read More

Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions

File photo The US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea amid escalating tensions between Washington and Havana. Read More

US charges Raul Castro over 1996 plane shoot down: What happened then?

The US has indicted Cuba’s Raul Castro for his involvement in the shooting down of planes. On February 24 1996, Cuban military shot down two aircraft belonging to the group, the Brothers to the Rescue, on the orders of the 94-year-old. Read More

Trump Jokes He Could Run For Israeli PM, Touts ‘99%’ Approval In Country

Referring to his popularity in Israel, Trump joked that after completing his current term, he might consider entering Israeli politics. Read More

‘Bibi’s Hair Was On Fire’: Inside The Dramatic Trump-Netanyahu Call That Exposed Rift Over Iran War

Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly clashed in a tense call over Iran, with Netanyahu urging renewed airstrikes and Trump insisting on another diplomatic attempt Go to Source Read More

Topics

French Open staring at players’ revolt? Tennis stars plan major media presence decision

Top players including Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, Aryna Sabalenka and Coco Gauff have publicly expressed disappointment over pay allocation at Grand Slams and the players seem set to revolt now. Read More

Another military operation on cards? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions

File photo The US aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea amid escalating tensions between Washington and Havana. Read More

US charges Raul Castro over 1996 plane shoot down: What happened then?

The US has indicted Cuba’s Raul Castro for his involvement in the shooting down of planes. On February 24 1996, Cuban military shot down two aircraft belonging to the group, the Brothers to the Rescue, on the orders of the 94-year-old. Read More

Trump Jokes He Could Run For Israeli PM, Touts ‘99%’ Approval In Country

Referring to his popularity in Israel, Trump joked that after completing his current term, he might consider entering Israeli politics. Read More

‘Bibi’s Hair Was On Fire’: Inside The Dramatic Trump-Netanyahu Call That Exposed Rift Over Iran War

Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly clashed in a tense call over Iran, with Netanyahu urging renewed airstrikes and Trump insisting on another diplomatic attempt Go to Source Read More

Heatwave alert for Delhi, UP, Punjab, Haryana and more: What to expect over next 5 days

Heatwave alert for Delhi, UP, Punjab, Haryana and more: What to expect over next 5 days (Image credit: ANI) Heatwave conditions continue to grip large parts of India, with the India Meteorological Department (IMD) warning of severe t Read More

Before Parle, Before Modi-Meloni: The Forgotten Bihar Factory That Gave India Its First Chocolate In 1929

Long before Melody became a viral ‘Melodi’ meme, a Bihar factory was shaping India’s chocolate story in 1929. Read More

‘Record Of Genocidal Acts’: India Slams Pakistan Over Terrorism, Afghan Strikes During Ramadan

India at UNSC accuses Pakistan of genocidal acts, cites UNAMA reports on deadly Afghan airstrikes and 1971 abuses, calls Pak hypocritical and urges zero tolerance for civilian harm Go to Source Read More

Related Articles