Wednesday, May 20, 2026
34.1 C
New Delhi

97 pc urban wards across country now covered by door-to-door waste collection: Centre

New Delhi, May 20 (PTI): Nearly 97 per cent of municipal wards across the country are now covered under door-to-door waste collection, marking a major milestone under the Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U), according to an official statement.

The Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry on Wednesday said waste processing in urban areas has risen sharply from 16 per cent in 2014 to 81 per cent in 2026, reflecting growing infrastructure and institutional capacity in municipalities across states and Union territories.

The ministry highlighted rapid progress in legacy waste remediation, saying that around 65 per cent of the 26 crore metric tonnes of waste spread across 2,482 dumpsites have been cleared so far.

The exercise has reclaimed around 9,000 acres of urban land for productive use, it added.

The achievements were highlighted during the two-day National Review of SBM-U 2.0 held at Vigyan Bhawan here, under the chairpersonship of Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Manohar Lal.

Mentioning the key takeaways, the minister on Wednesday said, “We need to focus on what we need to change, whether it is financial challenges, matching state/UT shares, resolving implementational bottlenecks like tendering delays, land allocation or augmenting institutional capacities.” “We have only 10 months to prepare a focused plan and achieve allotted targets,” he said, while calling for state-wise mapping of key issues and challenges.

States were directed to update progress daily on the Swachhatam Portal to enable regular reviews and rigorous tracking by the ministry.

The minister also stressed the importance of behavioural change, noting that “Swabhav Swachhata, Sanskar Swachhata” should be integrated into the curriculum. PTI BUN RHL RHL

(This story is published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. No editing has been done in the headline or the body by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

Tennessee man jailed for 37 days over Charlie Kirk meme to receive $835,000 settlement

A Tennessee man who spent more than a month in jail over Facebook posts about the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk will receive $835,000 after settling a lawsuit against local officials. Read More

Sweet melody in Italy triggers a bitter political war at home

NEW DELHI: The portmanteau wrote itself. Now, it has a ring to it that could launch a thousand toffee ads. Read More

26-year search by 3 families ends as van found in canal

. PATIALIA: For 26 monsoons, the Bhakra canal’s water hid a grisly secret as three families of Ropar grappled with grief and hope. Read More

Topics

Tennessee man jailed for 37 days over Charlie Kirk meme to receive $835,000 settlement

A Tennessee man who spent more than a month in jail over Facebook posts about the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk will receive $835,000 after settling a lawsuit against local officials. Read More

Sweet melody in Italy triggers a bitter political war at home

NEW DELHI: The portmanteau wrote itself. Now, it has a ring to it that could launch a thousand toffee ads. Read More

26-year search by 3 families ends as van found in canal

. PATIALIA: For 26 monsoons, the Bhakra canal’s water hid a grisly secret as three families of Ropar grappled with grief and hope. Read More

Delhi-NCR Taxi, Transport Unions Begin 3-Day Strike Over Rising Fuel Prices, Fare Demands

Delhi-NCR may face major transport disruptions May 21-23 as unions strike for taxi and auto fare hikes amid rising fuel and operating costs, with possible goods supply impact. Read More

‘There won’t be escalation’: Donald Trump reacts to Raul Castro’s indictment by DOJ

Donald Trump has played down fears of rising tensions with Cuba after US Justice Department indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro over the 1996 shooting down of civilian aircraft, insisting that “there won’t be escalation” betwe Read More

Related Articles