Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

33 possible air pollution solutions progress to trial phase under challenge set by Delhi govt

33 possible air pollution solutions progress to trial phase under challenge set by Delhi govt

NEW DELHI: About 33 prototypes shortlisted under the Delhi government’s ‘innovation challenge’ to find solutions for the air pollution issue are set to enter the second phase for trials, according to officials familiar with the matter.These include solar-powered pole-mounted dust traps, filterless smoke and dust carbon-capturing devices, electrostatic mist sprayers, models for smart dust-suppression and monitoring systems, and retrofitting vehicle-mounted air purifiers to improve emission quality of cars.These innovations —shortlisted from a vast pool of applications— had been showcased at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi in January this year, as a part of an exhibition. The challenge, launched by the Delhi government, aims to find practical solutions to tackle the city’s air pollution.An official said, “The innovation challenge is now ready to enter the second phase, where trials will begin, and the government will be providing all necessary infrastructure required for the trials.” The official added that the trials are expected to begin by first week of May and are likely to be wrapped up within the next three months. An eight-member expert committee, headed by IIT Professor Sagnik Dey, will be reviewing the proposals to identify the most practical and cost-effective solutions for air pollution. Following the same, the finalised innovations will be adopted by the Delhi government for operationalisation.Another official told PTI that a meeting will be held on Monday to finalise the outline for the trial process and the kind of arrangements that would be required for the same.”The plan so far is to move ahead with the trial of all 33 innovations. As we move forward, we shall start shortlisting the most efficient technologies,” the official said.The winning projects will also be eligible for incentives from the Delhi Pollution Control Committee, including Rs 5 lakh after successful expert committee evaluation and up to Rs 50 lakh for solutions verified by National Physical Laboratory-equivalent labs and recommended for government adoption, as per the guidelines.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Topics

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Nita Ambani’s Handwoven Banarasi Butidar Suit Celebrates India’s Rich Textile Heritage

Crafted in luxurious Katan silk using the intricate Kadwa technique, each motif in this Butidar design was individually woven by master artisans Haji Nafees Ahmad and Naseem Ahmad. Read More

2 Indians die on Everest after summiting; 3rd critical at South Col

Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to Camp 4 from Camp 3 on their way to ascend Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, also known as the Everest region. Read More

Twisha death case: Accused husband’s surrender, CCTV question and angry lawyer – key points

– NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willin Read More

Related Articles