Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

‘If both parents are IAS officers, why reservation?’ Supreme Court questions quota for creamy layer

'If both parents are IAS officers, why reservation?' Supreme Court questions quota for creamy layer

Supreme Court of India

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Friday questioned the continued grant of reservation benefits to children of economically and educationally advanced families within backward classes, observing that social mobility comes with empowerment and that reservation cannot continue indefinitely for such sections.A bench of Justices BV Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan was hearing a plea challenging a Karnataka high court judgment that upheld the exclusion of a petitioner from reservation benefits because both his parents are state government employees.”If both parents are IAS officers, why should they have reservations? With educational and economic empowerment, there is social mobility,” the bench observed, according to PTI.”So then again, to seek reservation for the children, we will never get out of it,” the court added while issuing notice in the matter.The top court further remarked that if parents are employed in good jobs and earn handsome incomes, their children should move out of the reservation system.The bench noted that several government orders already provide for excluding affluent sections from reservation benefits, though such provisions are now being challenged. “For the economically weaker section and disadvantaged group, there is no social backwardness but only economic backwardness. There has to be some balance. Socially and educationally backward, yes, but once the parents have attained a level because of taking advantage of reservation,” the bench said.The petitioner had been selected for appointment as an assistant engineer (electrical) in the Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited under the reserved category.However, PTI reported that the District Caste and Income Verification Committee denied him a caste validity certificate after concluding that he belonged to the creamy layer.The authorities noted that both of the petitioner’s parents were government employees and that their combined income exceeded the prescribed creamy layer limit of Rs 8 lakh.

Should children of economically advanced families within backward classes continue to receive reservation benefits?

Based on this classification, the caste certificate issued to the petitioner certifying him as belonging to the Kuruba community was revoked.The petitioner challenged this action, but the Karnataka HC upheld the authorities’ decision.In January 2025, the Supreme Court had refused to entertain a separate plea seeking exclusion of children of IAS and IPS officers from Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST) reservation benefits in Madhya Pradesh.At the time, the apex court had said that references to excluding the creamy layer from SC/ST quotas in the seven-judge Constitution bench verdict in the State of Punjab v. Davinder Singh case were merely observations and that any such decision would have to be taken by the legislature PTI reported.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Topics

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Nita Ambani’s Handwoven Banarasi Butidar Suit Celebrates India’s Rich Textile Heritage

Crafted in luxurious Katan silk using the intricate Kadwa technique, each motif in this Butidar design was individually woven by master artisans Haji Nafees Ahmad and Naseem Ahmad. Read More

2 Indians die on Everest after summiting; 3rd critical at South Col

Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to Camp 4 from Camp 3 on their way to ascend Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, also known as the Everest region. Read More

Twisha death case: Accused husband’s surrender, CCTV question and angry lawyer – key points

– NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willin Read More

Related Articles