Monday, May 18, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Shooter Among 3 Dead, Children Injured In Shooting At US’s Minneapolis Catholic School

A shooting at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis left at least five children injured on Wednesday, during the very first week of the new academic session, according to authorities and hospital officials. Minnesota Governor Tim Walz described the violence as “horrific”.

Three people have died while 20 are injured, a US Justice Department official said. The shooter was among those killed, the official told news agency Reuters.

The Minneapolis city government confirmed that the shooter was “contained” following the incident and assured that there was no longer any “active threat” to residents.

Governor Walz said in a post on X that he had been updated on the situation. “I’m praying for our kids and teachers whose first week of school was marred by this horrific act of violence,” he wrote.

US President Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social, “I have been fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The FBI quickly responded and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved!”

Children treated in trauma centres

Children’s Minnesota, a major paediatric trauma hospital, reported that five children had been admitted for medical attention. Hennepin Healthcare, which runs the state’s largest emergency department, stated it was also caring for patients linked to the shooting, AP reported.

As law enforcement, including the FBI and other federal agencies, secured the scene and ambulances transported the wounded, President Donald Trump noted in a Truth Social post that he had been briefed on the “tragic shooting” and said the White House would continue monitoring the developments.

Families directed to reunification zone

Authorities evacuated the school, and families were instructed to gather at a designated “reunification zone” to collect their children. Annunciation Catholic School, founded in 1923 and catering to pre-kindergarten through eighth grade, had been scheduled to hold an all-school Mass at 8:15 a.m. on Wednesday, as listed on its website. The academic year had only commenced on Monday.

Recent social media updates from the school showed students engaged in back-to-school activities — smiling for photos, showcasing summer art, playing together and enjoying ice pops.

At a Democratic officials’ meeting elsewhere in Minneapolis, Democratic National Committee Chair Ken Martin referred to the incident, noting that there was an “unknown amount of victims.”

Minneapolis reels from consecutive shootings

The school tragedy came amid a spate of shootings in Minneapolis within a 24-hour span. On Tuesday afternoon, gunfire outside a city high school killed one person and left six others injured. Hours later, two more individuals were killed in separate incidents.

Wednesday’s school shooting also followed a wave of hoax emergency calls about alleged shootings on more than a dozen U.S. college campuses. These false alarms, sometimes accompanied by recorded gunfire sounds, prompted universities to issue urgent alerts advising students to “run, hide, fight,” spreading fear at the start of the academic year.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday as “serious negotiations are now taking place”. Read More

Topics

Riot Games removes Arcane song “Remember Me” featuring D4vd amid first-degree murder case

Getty Images Riot Games has reportedly removed the Arcane soundtrack song “Remember Me” from some of its official music platforms following the criminal case involving D4vd. Read More

Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

The US president says he is holding off on a US attack planned for Tuesday as “serious negotiations are now taking place”. Read More

Judicial panel submits report on judge Varma

. NEW DELHI: The three-member committee headed by SC judge Aravind Kumar, which was looking into allegations of corruption against Allahabad HC judge Yashwant Varma, submitted its report to LS Speaker Om Birla Monday. Read More

West Bengal Govt Grants ED Sanction To Prosecute Ex-RG Kar Principal Sandip Ghosh

West Bengal govt allows ED to prosecute former RG Kar principal Sandip Ghosh over alleged financial irregularities and money laundering linked to the Abhaya rape murder case. Read More

Trump holds off strikes on Iran planned for Tuesday at Arab leaders’ request

Washington, May 19 (PTI): US President Donald Trump has said he was holding up fresh strikes at Iran at the request of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Read More

Related Articles