Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

‘He Was The First One To Speak Up’: Trump Blames US Defence Chief For Iran StrikesĀ 

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

As the conflict with Iran enters its fourth week, fresh questions are being raised over how and why the United States decided to launch military action. Adding another layer to the evolving narrative, President Donald Trump has now suggested that Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth was among the first to advocate for a strike.

“Pete, I think you were the first one to speak up, and you said, ‘Let’s do it because you can’t let them have a nuclear weapon,” Trump said at a roundtable event in Tennessee, Trump said Hegseth had urged action to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. His remarks add to a series of differing accounts from within the administration about what triggered the conflict.

Conflicting Reasons For War

There appears to be no single, consistent explanation from US officials on the origins of the war. Some within the administration have argued that Israel was likely to act independently, making US involvement unavoidable. Others have maintained that Iran was close to developing a nuclear weapon, necessitating immediate intervention.

Trump himself described the decision-making process as a series of urgent consultations with top officials, portraying it as a choice between ignoring a growing crisis or acting decisively in the Middle East.

In a separate remark, Trump claimed that Iran’s retaliatory strikes across the Gulf caught US officials off guard. However, this claim contrasts with reports suggesting that warnings about possible retaliation had been issued internally before the attacks.

Hegseth Takes Centre Stage

Throughout the conflict, Hegseth has emerged as a key public face of the US military campaign. He has outlined objectives including weakening Iran’s missile capabilities, drone operations, and naval strength, while also pushing back against critical media coverage.

When asked about the timeline for the operation, Hegseth avoided giving a clear deadline, stating only that the campaign remains on track.

Trump acknowledged that Vice President JD Vance had been less supportive of the military action, though Vance has not voiced criticism publicly. Reports also suggest that figures such as Benjamin Netanyahu and Rupert Murdoch were in favour of a tougher stance, while others urged restraint.

The internal disagreements have already had consequences, with former counterterrorism official Joe Kent stepping down, becoming the first senior figure to resign over the conflict.

Unclear Path To Diplomacy

Even as military operations continue, Trump has spoken about the possibility of negotiations with Iran, including efforts to ease tensions and reopen key shipping routes like the Strait of Hormuz. He mentioned potential backchannel discussions involving senior figures, though Iran has denied that any such talks are underway.

Trump had earlier set a deadline for Iran to meet US demands or face further strikes, but that timeline has now been extended by five days.

With shifting explanations, disputed claims, and ongoing military action, the narrative around the conflict remains fluid. Key questions—about how the war began, where it is headed, and who ultimately drove the decision—remain unanswered.

Go to Source

Hot this week

India, Russia hold high-level Army talks to bolster military cooperation

NEW DELHi: Indian Army and Russian forces have held discussions to further deepen their military partnership at the 5th sub-working group (land) meeting. Read More

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

Officers forced their way into the building days after the party vowed to defy a court ruling removing its leaders. Read More

Topics

India, Russia hold high-level Army talks to bolster military cooperation

NEW DELHi: Indian Army and Russian forces have held discussions to further deepen their military partnership at the 5th sub-working group (land) meeting. Read More

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

Officers forced their way into the building days after the party vowed to defy a court ruling removing its leaders. Read More

BBC at the site of China’s worst mining disaster in more than a decade

At least 82 people have been killed and two are missing after a coal mine blast in northern China, officials have said. Read More

Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

Officials say the train had been transporting military personnel home for Eid when it was attacked by armed separatists. Read More

ā€˜Fastest man in India wears whites’: Navy salutes petty officer Gurindervir who broke national 100m record

New Delhi: Gurindervir Singh, who has become the first Indian to clock sub-10.10 seconds in the men’s 100m sprint, holds the rank of a petty officer in the Indian Navy. Read More

Related Articles