Saturday, May 23, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Karnataka Plans Mobile Ban For Under-16 Students, Govt To Frame New Usage Rules Soon

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Bengaluru, Mar 23 (PTI) Karnataka Primary and Secondary Education Minister Madhu Bangarappa on Monday said the government will bring a comprehensive framework to regulate mobile phone and social media usage among students below 16 years, acknowledging growing concerns over its impact on children.

He was replying to the question raised by MLCs Pratap Nayak and Javare Gowda, who urged the government to take urgent and stringent measures, warning that mobile addiction among children has reached alarming levels.

Replying during Question Hour in the Karnataka Legislative Council, the minister said that while restrictions already exist, enforcement has been weak and the government is now working on stronger guidelines in consultation with multiple stakeholders.

“For the first time in India, our government has proposed in the Budget that mobile use should be banned for children below 16 years,” he said.

He added that although laws prohibiting the use of mobile phones in schools are in place, it was not being practised. Some students used them outside, and there was no proper system, he added. Explaining the rationale, Bangarappa said mobile phones, while useful for learning, have increasingly become a source of harmful content.

“If mobile helps learning, it is okay, but most of what is coming today is unnecessary. Children take whatever input is given,” he noted.

The Minister said the government is coordinating with the IT Department, which has formed a committee to examine social media practices, and that detailed guidelines are being prepared. He also underlined the reintroduction of moral education in schools.

“Moral science books are being provided free of cost to all students from this year, and specific periods have been fixed to teach it,” Bangarappa said.

Emphasising the need for a balanced approach, the Minister said mobile phones cannot be completely eliminated in the present era.

“In today’s AI and modern age, we cannot pull it out at once; we will bring a law on how to impose restrictions,” he said, adding that the proposal would be placed before the House in the next session after wider consultations.

The minister said inputs would be sought from parents, experts and international child organisations before finalising the policy.

“This concerns the future of our children. Misuse of social media is a big problem in our country,” he observed.

The minister also acknowledged concerns raised by members that excessive dependence on mobile phones is affecting students severely. “If it harms their future, we must take strict action,” Bangarppa said, while cautioning that mere prohibition may not be effective, as children may continue to access devices secretly.

The minister said the government aims to evolve a model policy.

“Since this is being done for the first time in India, I want it to become an example for others,” he added. PTI GMS ADB

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

Gurindervir Singh becomes first Indian to break 10.10s barrier in 100m race, creates new NR

Gurindervir Singh broke the men’s 100m national record with a stunning 10.09s run on a historic second day of the National Senior Federation Competition in Ranchi. He is the second-fastest racer in Asia so far this season. Read More

UK maritime agency warns of suspicious armed skiffs near Gulf of Aden shipping lanes

British maritime authorities issued a fresh security alert after multiple commercial vessels reported encounters with armed skiffs near key international shipping routes linked to the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb Strait. Read More

Zelenskyy warns Russia preparing hypersonic ‘Oreshnik’ missile strike on Kyiv

The Ukrainian president said intelligence inputs from Kyiv’s Western allies pointed to preparations for a large-scale Russian assault involving advanced long-range weapon systems. Read More

Hyderabad Lawyer Dies After Being Hit By SUV, Asaduddin Owaisi Demands Probe

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi condemns lawyer Khaza Moizuddin’s death in Hyderabad SUV attack, alleges targeting over waqf cases. Read More

‘Just a normal Friday for an Iranian’: US founder says her wedding in Turkiye got called off

Iranian-origin founder Kiana Ehsani reacts to the new Green Card rule. Iranian-origin US founder Kiana Ehsani reacted to the new Green Card rules and shared a heartbreaking update on her life. Read More

Topics

Gurindervir Singh becomes first Indian to break 10.10s barrier in 100m race, creates new NR

Gurindervir Singh broke the men’s 100m national record with a stunning 10.09s run on a historic second day of the National Senior Federation Competition in Ranchi. He is the second-fastest racer in Asia so far this season. Read More

UK maritime agency warns of suspicious armed skiffs near Gulf of Aden shipping lanes

British maritime authorities issued a fresh security alert after multiple commercial vessels reported encounters with armed skiffs near key international shipping routes linked to the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandeb Strait. Read More

Zelenskyy warns Russia preparing hypersonic ‘Oreshnik’ missile strike on Kyiv

The Ukrainian president said intelligence inputs from Kyiv’s Western allies pointed to preparations for a large-scale Russian assault involving advanced long-range weapon systems. Read More

Hyderabad Lawyer Dies After Being Hit By SUV, Asaduddin Owaisi Demands Probe

AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi condemns lawyer Khaza Moizuddin’s death in Hyderabad SUV attack, alleges targeting over waqf cases. Read More

‘Just a normal Friday for an Iranian’: US founder says her wedding in Turkiye got called off

Iranian-origin founder Kiana Ehsani reacts to the new Green Card rule. Iranian-origin US founder Kiana Ehsani reacted to the new Green Card rules and shared a heartbreaking update on her life. Read More

‘No Deal Without Cash’: Asim Munir Leaves Tehran Empty-Handed As Iran Demands US Compensation | Exclusive Details

The insistence on financial compensation aligns directly with Iran’s controversial establishment of the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) Go to Source Read More

Will Trump Resume Strikes Against Iran? US President To Reveal Major Decision Within 24 Hours

Trump says he would review Iran’s peace proposal, may decide by Sunday on resuming military action, calling chances of a deal “50/50. Read More

SC takes suo motu cognisance of Twisha Sharma death case; CJI-led bench to hear matter Monday

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Saturday took suo motu cognisance of the Twisha Sharma death case. A bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant is likely to consider the matter on Monday, news agency ANI reported. Read More

Related Articles