Friday, February 20, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Omar defies party & rivals to back Ramadan charity control order

Omar defies party & rivals to back Ramadan charity control order

J&K chief minister Omar Abdullah (File photo)

SRINAGAR/JAMMU: J&K CM Omar Abdullah on Friday defended an order by local authorities in Jammu’s Kishtwar regulating collection of zakat (charity) during Ramadan amid widespread criticism of the move, including by some of his cabinet colleagues and ally Congress.Speaking in the assembly, Omar urged legislators “not to politicise every issue” and clarified that the Feb 18 order was issued by the Kishtwar deputy commissioner (DC) after consulting religious leaders as a safety measure to check donation deceptions. “We shouldn’t mix religion with politics. Some matters require dialogue and understanding at the local level rather than political confrontation,” Omar said.The DC’s order says the aim is to check “unregulated and unauthorised collection of donations by individuals” in Ramadan. It warns against collection of donations by “unregistered” individuals or institutions without permission from Wakf Board or sub-divisional magistrates.Omar referred to a House debate on Thursday when Congress MLAs Nizamuddin Bhat and GA Mir had raised the issue and denounced the order as an interference in religious affairs. “I looked into the matter and found that the DC did not issue the order on his own,” Omar said.According to Omar, many had raised concerns about the misuse of charitable collections at a meeting ahead of Ramadan with religious leaders in Kishtwar. “They told the DC that genuine charitable organisations suffer losses as donors are misled by fraudulent groups. The DC issued the order on the advice of these religious leaders,” Omar said, adding the move had been welcomed by the Imam of Jamia Masjid Kishtwar and other clerics in the district.Many were not persuaded. Deputy CM Surinder Choudhary decried the order, saying such a decision should not have been taken at the district level when an elected govt was in place. Tanvir Sadiq, spokesperson for Omar’s governing National Conference (NC), also debunked the “localised directive”. “I think it is interference in religious affairs,” Sadiq said.Opposition PDP joined the chorus of condemnation, with party MLA Waheed Parra arguing that charity is not a security issue and urging reconsideration of the directive. CPI(M) state secretary MY Tarigami said the order effectively “casts suspicion on the entire Muslim community”.BJP was the only one to welcome the order. J&K leader of opposition Sunil Sharma alleged that some individuals collect zakat during Ramadan and use the funds for “anti-national activities”. He called for such measures elsewhere to prevent misuse of charity for subversive purposes.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘That could’ve been me’: Gordon Ramsay breaks down over brother’s heroin addiction in raw new Netflix series

Gordon Ramsay breaks down over brother’s heroin addiction in raw new Netflix series With six episodes released on 18 February, Being Gordon Ramsay offers an unusually unfiltered look at one of Britain’s most recognisable chefs. Read More

‘Time to pay the piper’: Newsom celebrates SCOTUS tariffs verdict, seeks refunds from Trump

In a major setback to President Donald Trump’s trade policy, the US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 ruling, struck down sweeping global tariffs imposed under emergency powers, holding that the president exceeded his legal authority by bypassi Read More

‘Why Dallas looks like New Delhi’: Texas senator John Cornyn slammed for ‘Welcome to Indian century’ post

Texas GOP senator John Cornyn was trolled after he shared an NYT podcast in which Indian-origin scholar Amitav Acharya said the superpower in waiting is India, not the US or China. Read More

Donald Trump’s swollen ankles spark fresh health concerns after appearance on Josh Pate’s podcast

US President Donald Trump’s long-discussed ankle swelling has once again drawn public attention after a photo taken during an informal podcast recording in Georgia surfaced online. Read More

Taapsee on husband Mathias: ‘I almost forget that I am married’

Taapsee Pannu recently opened up about her marriage with former badminton player Mathias Boe, sharing candid insights into possessiveness, cultural differences and their long engagement. Read More

Topics

‘That could’ve been me’: Gordon Ramsay breaks down over brother’s heroin addiction in raw new Netflix series

Gordon Ramsay breaks down over brother’s heroin addiction in raw new Netflix series With six episodes released on 18 February, Being Gordon Ramsay offers an unusually unfiltered look at one of Britain’s most recognisable chefs. Read More

‘Time to pay the piper’: Newsom celebrates SCOTUS tariffs verdict, seeks refunds from Trump

In a major setback to President Donald Trump’s trade policy, the US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 ruling, struck down sweeping global tariffs imposed under emergency powers, holding that the president exceeded his legal authority by bypassi Read More

‘Why Dallas looks like New Delhi’: Texas senator John Cornyn slammed for ‘Welcome to Indian century’ post

Texas GOP senator John Cornyn was trolled after he shared an NYT podcast in which Indian-origin scholar Amitav Acharya said the superpower in waiting is India, not the US or China. Read More

Donald Trump’s swollen ankles spark fresh health concerns after appearance on Josh Pate’s podcast

US President Donald Trump’s long-discussed ankle swelling has once again drawn public attention after a photo taken during an informal podcast recording in Georgia surfaced online. Read More

Taapsee on husband Mathias: ‘I almost forget that I am married’

Taapsee Pannu recently opened up about her marriage with former badminton player Mathias Boe, sharing candid insights into possessiveness, cultural differences and their long engagement. Read More

Trump announces new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court ruling: What are Sections 122, 232 and 301? Explained

US President Donald Trump said he would sign new orders aimed at restoring tariffs using alternative legal authorities after the Supreme Court struck down a large portion of his previous measures. Read More

Bianca Dias dies at 20 days after cosmetic surgery

Brazilian content creator Bianca Dias passed away on Thursday, February 19, at the age of 20, leaving her family, friends and followers in shock. Read More

No change in trade deal with India; it is on: Trump after SC verdict

New York/Washington, Feb 20 (PTI): In the wake of the US Supreme Court’s decision on tariffs, President Donald Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the “India deal is on”. Read More

Related Articles