Thursday, May 21, 2026
34.1 C
New Delhi

Nigella Lawson to replace Prue Leith on The Great British Bake Off

TV chef Nigella Lawson will replace Dame Prue Leith on The Great British Bake Off, broadcaster Channel 4 has confirmed.

Dame Prue has been a judge on the reality baking competition since 2017, but announced last week that she would leave the series adding: “Now feels like the right time to step back”.

Lawson, who will join Paul Hollywood as a judge, said in a statement: “I’m uncharacteristically rather lost for words right now.

“Of course it’s daunting to be following in the footsteps of Prue Leith and Mary Berry before her, great dames both, but I’m also bubbling with excitement.”

She added: “The Great British Bake Off is more than a television programme, it’s a National Treasure – and it’s a huge honour to be entrusted with it.

“I’m just thrilled to be joining the team and all the new bakers to come, I wish the marvellous Prue all the best, and am giddily grateful for the opportunity!”

Dame Prue said she was “thrilled” that Nigella would be taking over her role in the tent.

“She’s sassy, fun and she knows her onions – and her croissants, cake and crumble,” Dame Prue added.

Channel 4 controller Ian Katz said the broadcaster was “incredibly excited about the marriage of two great British icons: Bake Off and Nigella”.

Dame Prue was hired for Bake Off after the series jumped from the BBC to Channel 4 in 2016.

She replaced Dame Mary, who left the show along with presenters Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins after the move.

The programme will return for its 17th series later this year, with Lawson and Hollywood alongside current hosts Alison Hammond and Noel Fielding.

Writing after Lawson’s appointment was rumoured last week, the Guardian’s Stuart Heritage said that The Great British Bake Off has “lost its way” and “become slightly long in the tooth over the last half decade or so”.

He added Lawson would give the show a shot in the arm, writing: “She is spectacularly British, and manages to balance the sort of familiarity that will reassure existing viewers with a level of international first-name recognition that might even end up growing the audience.”

Go to Source

Hot this week

Ronaldo breaks down in tears as Al Nassr win first league title of his Saudi career – WATCH

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Al Nassr defeated Damac 4-1 to win the Saudi Pro League title. Emotional scenes unfolded after the match as Ronaldo was seen crying after winning his first league crown in Saudi Arabia. Read More

Judge orders ChudTheBuilder to wear GPS monitor and restrict social media use if released on bond

Image Via X Controversial streamer Dalton Eatherly is facing strict new bond conditions after a judge set rules for his possible release from custody. The decision follows serious charges linked to a courthouse shooting incident. Read More

Iran Says Trump’s Ceasefire Push May Have Been ‘Tactical Deception’

Iran suspects a US tactical pause before new attacks, hardens stance by refusing to export near weapons grade uranium, defying US and complicating fragile nuclear talks. Read More

Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo

Grieving relatives and friends of a suspected Ebola victim were prevented from taking his body for burial. Read More

Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader

It was a federal indictment against the left-wing authoritarian Maduro that was used by the Trump administration as its justification for its raid on the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, to seize him and his wife, Cilia Flores. Read More

Topics

Ronaldo breaks down in tears as Al Nassr win first league title of his Saudi career – WATCH

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Al Nassr defeated Damac 4-1 to win the Saudi Pro League title. Emotional scenes unfolded after the match as Ronaldo was seen crying after winning his first league crown in Saudi Arabia. Read More

Judge orders ChudTheBuilder to wear GPS monitor and restrict social media use if released on bond

Image Via X Controversial streamer Dalton Eatherly is facing strict new bond conditions after a judge set rules for his possible release from custody. The decision follows serious charges linked to a courthouse shooting incident. Read More

Iran Says Trump’s Ceasefire Push May Have Been ‘Tactical Deception’

Iran suspects a US tactical pause before new attacks, hardens stance by refusing to export near weapons grade uranium, defying US and complicating fragile nuclear talks. Read More

Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo

Grieving relatives and friends of a suspected Ebola victim were prevented from taking his body for burial. Read More

Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader

It was a federal indictment against the left-wing authoritarian Maduro that was used by the Trump administration as its justification for its raid on the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, to seize him and his wife, Cilia Flores. Read More

Kangana steps out wearing mangalsutra; fans ask, ‘Is she married?’

Kangana Ranaut has once again grabbed the internet’s attention after a recent video of the actress-politician surfaced online. Read More

Related Articles