Saturday, November 29, 2025
15.1 C
New Delhi

11 ISL clubs urge senior lawyers assisting Supreme Court to bring attention to their crisis ahead of AIFF-FSDL hearing

Eleven Indian Super League clubs on Thursday urged the two senior lawyers assisting the Supreme Court in a pending case to bring to its notice the existential crisis they are facing due to uncertainty over the ISL’s future and the “urgency of pronouncing judgment at the earliest”.

The letter from the ISL clubs came a day before an SC hearing of the case on Friday. Amici curiae Gopal Sankaranarayanan and Samar Bansal had earlier mentioned the matter on Monday before the SC which posted the matter for Friday.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“Given that football clubs (across entire pyramid), their players, employees, and stakeholders are the most directly and immediately affected by the current standstill in Indian football, we have no option but to approach your good selves, as officers of the Hon’ble Court, to humbly request that our concerns be placed before the Ld. Bench,” the letter stated.

“The urgency of pronouncing judgment at the earliest, given football calendar is at a standstill across pyramid; any consequential directions flowing from the judgment be directed to be completed in a time-bound (15–30 days), to restore certainty at the earliest,” the clubs wrote.

“In the event the present proceedings are to go on beyond August 22, 2025, the processes related to conducting the leagues and any ancillary operations may be allowed and expedited so that a long-term constructive solution for all parties may be obtained at the earliest,” the clubs wrote, while mentioning that they are not parties to the case.

The eleven ISL clubs which signed the letter are Bengaluru FC, Hyderabad FC, Odisha FC, Chennaiyin FC, Jamshedpur FC, FC Goa, Kerala Blasters FC, Punjab FC, NorthEast United FC, Mumbai City FC and Mohammedan Sporting.

The same 11 clubs had earlier warned All India Football Federation (AIFF) that they face the possibility of shutting down entirely due to uncertainty over the ISL’s future.

The crisis surfaced after FSDL, the ISL organisers as well as AIFF’s commercial partner, put the 2025-26 season “on hold” on July 11 due to uncertainty over the renewal of Master Rights Agreement (MRA), prompting at least three clubs to either pause first-team operations or suspend player and staff salaries.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The current MRA, signed in 2010 between FSDL and AIFF, ends on December 8. The AIFF gets Rs 50 crore annually from FSDL under the MRA.

In the letter, the clubs said with no clarity on the ISL, the revenues of the clubs have been severely affected and their survival faced immediate threat, jeopardising the livelihoods of thousands engaged in the football ecosystem – players, staff, vendors, service providers.

“Even one season’s disruption would erode the trust of fans, sponsors, investors, and international federations, undoing more than a decade’s progress.”

The ISL clubs said they have invested hundreds of crores of rupees into youth academies, training facilities, stadium upgrades, and professional squads, creating a robust footballing structure.

“The ISL now sustains the majority of professional football players in India, providing more than 400 full-time player contracts annually, besides developmental pathways for youth and grassroots players.

“It is respectfully submitted that a league of this calibre cannot be assembled at the last minute and requires long-term buy-in to obtain best possible deals. Broadcast agreements, sponsorship deals, player registrations, and logistical arrangements ideally require long-term buy-in and stability, and even thereafter approximately 6–8 weeks of advance certainty to implement every season.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“Therefore, the current delay has already placed us in a situation where any further delays may cause irreparable harm and there is an urgent need for certainty in the greater interest of the entire football ecosystem, including clubs, players, staff, and all other stakeholders.”

They said that the loss of even a single ISL season would have catastrophic and irreversible consequences for Indian football as a whole – including the well-being of the players and staff associated with the sport, the professional league structure including the I-League and lower divisions, grassroots academies, and other football competitions – all of which depend on the stability of the top-tier competition.

Current deadlock

The clubs also submitted that “this deadlock has indirectly arisen in the present case because there is, as we understand, a verbal stay/injunction on any discussions in relation to the MRA effective April 30, 2025”.

“This has created an anomalous situation where no resolution or forward planning for the 2025–26 season and beyond can take place. As matters stand, there is no certainty beyond 8 December 2025, when the current commercial partner demits its term.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“At that point in the calendar, ordinarily less than a quarter of the season would have been completed, leaving the league and, by extension, the wider pyramid in complete limbo. For the entire footballing system, it is also crucial that a long-term, stable solution is arrived at urgently.

“Clubs have multi-year sponsorships and contractual commitments, and several sponsors have already withdrawn due to the prevailing uncertainty.

“No commercial partner can be expected to invest or commit resources under an interim arrangement or for short term, given sheer scale and complexity of organizing a tournament like ISL and securing long-term broadcast and sponsorship partnerships. Therefore, it is imperative the current proceedings be expedited to provide necessary certainty for the league.”

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian-origin MAGA bigwig: The most Googled queries about Nikki Haley’s son Nalin Haley

There are political children who stay politely in the background, and then there is Nalin Haley — the unexpected viral presence who has, quite accidentally, become the most interesting Haley in American politics. Read More

Rubio, Witkoff to meet Ukrainian delegation in Florida for fresh round of peace plan talks

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner will meet Ukrainian negotiators led by Umerov in Florida to discuss Washington’s plan to end Russia’s war. Read More

Venezuela calls Trump airspace closure warning ‘colonialist threat’

Venezuela has accused US President Donald Trump of making a “colonialist threat” after he said the airspace around the country should be considered closed. Read More

From Fragile Paper To Secure Pixels: PMs’ Museum & Library Launches Secure Digital Archives For Scholars

The collection undergoing digitisation is immense, comprising over 25 million documents belonging to more than 1,300 individuals and organisations Go to Source Read More

Cuffem comes back to Kick following hospitalization from Playboi Carti show fall

Image Via Instagram Cuffem’s return to streaming has been one of the most anticipated moments for fans who closely followed his recovery after a frightening accident earlier this month. Read More

Topics

Indian-origin MAGA bigwig: The most Googled queries about Nikki Haley’s son Nalin Haley

There are political children who stay politely in the background, and then there is Nalin Haley — the unexpected viral presence who has, quite accidentally, become the most interesting Haley in American politics. Read More

Rubio, Witkoff to meet Ukrainian delegation in Florida for fresh round of peace plan talks

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner will meet Ukrainian negotiators led by Umerov in Florida to discuss Washington’s plan to end Russia’s war. Read More

Venezuela calls Trump airspace closure warning ‘colonialist threat’

Venezuela has accused US President Donald Trump of making a “colonialist threat” after he said the airspace around the country should be considered closed. Read More

From Fragile Paper To Secure Pixels: PMs’ Museum & Library Launches Secure Digital Archives For Scholars

The collection undergoing digitisation is immense, comprising over 25 million documents belonging to more than 1,300 individuals and organisations Go to Source Read More

Cuffem comes back to Kick following hospitalization from Playboi Carti show fall

Image Via Instagram Cuffem’s return to streaming has been one of the most anticipated moments for fans who closely followed his recovery after a frightening accident earlier this month. Read More

Who is Mohammad Dawood Alokozay? Afghan national arrested for posting TikTok video of himself making a bomb

Afghan national Mohammad Dawood Alokozay, who entered the United States under the Operation Allies Welcome resettlement programme, has been arrested and charged after posting a video on TikTok in which he allegedly appeared to build a Read More

One killed in shooting at Patrick Henry Mall in Virginia; suspect detained

One man was killed after a shooting inside a store at Patrick Henry Mall in Virginia on Saturday. Officers were called to the scene around 10:50 am and found a man with a gunshot wound. Read More

HC says cross-LoC trade between J&K & PoK is intra-state trade

SRINAGAR: A division bench of the Jammu and Kashmir high court has stated that cross-LoC trade between Jammu and Kashmir and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir amounts to intra-state trade as PoK is part of Jammu and Kashmir. Read More

Related Articles