Sunday, February 22, 2026
28.1 C
New Delhi

Pentagon Signals Limited US Role In Ukraine Security As Europe Expected To Take Lead

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Zelenskyy announced during a press briefing that Ukraine would purchase additional US-made arms.

font

President Trump hosted European leaders and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House

President Trump hosted European leaders and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House

The Pentagon has once again reiterated its intention to play only a minimal role in providing security guarantees for Europe, according to a report by Politico citing a top defence officials. With the Trump administration signalling a reduced American contribution, the burden of long-term Ukrainian security guarantees is increasingly falling on Europe’s shoulders.

Elbridge Colby, the US Undersecretary of Defense for Policy, clarified Washington’s stance during discussions concerning Ukraine’s future security framework. He was responding to pointed questions from senior European military leaders during a closed-door meeting led by Joint Chiefs Chair General Dan Caine.

Recommended Stories

Sources familiar with the recent talks between defence chiefs from key European nations revealed that the US was directly asked whether it would commit troops and air support to help enforce a peace agreement between Ukraine and Russia. Colby’s response marked one of the clearest signals yet that Washington expects Europe to take the lead in any post-war security architecture for Kyiv.

“There’s the dawning reality that this will be Europe making this happen on the ground,” said a NATO diplomat who was briefed on the discussions. “The US is not fully committed to anything.”

While President Trump did host European leaders and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House earlier this week in a symbolic show of unity, mixed messages emerged soon after. Zelenskyy announced during a press briefing that Ukraine would purchase additional US-made arms in a move interpreted by many as part of a broader deal aimed at securing long-term American support.

Initially, Trump declared on Monday that he was prepared to send US troops to Ukraine. However, by Tuesday, he had walked back that commitment, stating instead that he might consider offering air support for European forces. “I don’t know where that leaves us,” one European official said. “Pretty much back to where we were in the spring with the coalition of the willing.”

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, who participated in the White House meeting, briefed all 32 alliance members in Brussels on Wednesday. According to NATO officials, Rutte also initiated preliminary discussions on the broader framework for security guarantees, with alliance members now working to develop actionable plans for their political leaders.

News world Pentagon Signals Limited US Role In Ukraine Security As Europe Expected To Take Lead
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘So It’s A Loss?’: How Trump Reacted After Learning Of Tariff Blow During White House Meeting

Shortly afterwards, Trump cut short a question-and-answer session and left the meeting, saying he needed to prepare a response. Read More

Karnataka Govt Considers Ban On Mobile Phones For Students Under 16 Over Addiction Fears

If approved, Karnataka would join countries like Australia that have introduced measures to curb digital addiction among school students. Read More

Raj Kundra ditches face mask after securing bail in bitcoin case

Businessman Raj Kundra, granted bail in the alleged bitcoin scam case, expressed faith in the Indian judiciary and criticized media sensationalism. After his release, he said “Satyamev Jayate,” emphasizing truth will prevail. Read More

Akshay Kumar led’Welcome To The Jungle’ to shoot a grand post-credit song

One of the most anticipated Bollywood entertainers, ‘Welcome to the Jungle’, is set to hit theatres on June 26, 2026. The multi-starrer comedy is now in its final stage of production. Read More

Topics

‘So It’s A Loss?’: How Trump Reacted After Learning Of Tariff Blow During White House Meeting

Shortly afterwards, Trump cut short a question-and-answer session and left the meeting, saying he needed to prepare a response. Read More

Karnataka Govt Considers Ban On Mobile Phones For Students Under 16 Over Addiction Fears

If approved, Karnataka would join countries like Australia that have introduced measures to curb digital addiction among school students. Read More

Raj Kundra ditches face mask after securing bail in bitcoin case

Businessman Raj Kundra, granted bail in the alleged bitcoin scam case, expressed faith in the Indian judiciary and criticized media sensationalism. After his release, he said “Satyamev Jayate,” emphasizing truth will prevail. Read More

Akshay Kumar led’Welcome To The Jungle’ to shoot a grand post-credit song

One of the most anticipated Bollywood entertainers, ‘Welcome to the Jungle’, is set to hit theatres on June 26, 2026. The multi-starrer comedy is now in its final stage of production. Read More

Is Akshay Kumar joining ‘Golmaal 5’? Arshad Warsi drops a massive hint

One of Bollywood’s most anticipated comedies, ‘Golmaal 5’, is expected to begin shooting soon. Directed by Rohit Shetty, the film continues the hugely popular franchise led by Ajay Devgn. Read More

Nearly 300 drones, 50 missiles: Russia unleashes massive overnight assault on Ukraine, energy sites hit

Russia launched a large-scale missile and drone attack on Ukraine overnight, killing one person in the Kyiv region and damaging energy infrastructure in the south, AP reported, citing Ukrainian officials. Read More

Brazil’s Lula ‘very touched’ by musical tribute in India during lunch with PM Modi

During his state visit to India, Brazilian President Lula da Silva said he was deeply moved by a musical tribute that reminded him of a surprise he had arranged for PM Modi during the latter’s visit to Brazil last year. Read More

Related Articles