Wednesday, February 18, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

‘High Command Very Clear’: Kharge Plays Down Karnataka CM Controversy

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge on Sunday said there is no confusion within the party high command over the chief minister’s post in Karnataka, asserting that the issue exists only at the local level.
Kharge’s remarks come as Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Deputy CM DK Shivakumar continue to make separate assertions on the state’s leadership, amid talk of a possible power shift.

High Command Unfazed

“The high command hasn’t created any confusion. It exists at the local level. How is it right to put the blame on the high command?” Kharge told reporters in Kalaburagi, according to PTI. He also urged party leaders to take responsibility for internal disagreements instead of attributing them to the central leadership.
Without naming anyone, Kharge cautioned against individual claims of credit for the Congress’ electoral success in Karnataka.

Leadership Row Explained

“Everyone has built the party. It’s not any individual’s effort. Congress has been built by party workers,” he said.

The power tussle between Siddaramaiah and Shivakumar traces back to the Congress’ victory in the May 2023 Karnataka Assembly elections, when Siddaramaiah was named chief minister and Shivakumar his deputy. An informal and never-confirmed “2.5-year formula” has since remained a point of political speculation.

Buzz Grows After Midterm

The buzz resurfaced after the state government completed half its term last month. While Shivakumar has said the party high command will decide the timing of discussions in Delhi, Siddaramaiah has reiterated that he will complete a full five-year term and dismissed any half-term arrangement.

“I am confident that the high command will allow me to complete five years,” Siddaramaiah said.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump announces first tranche of Japan’s investments in US industry under $550bn trade pact

Trump announced Japan’s first investments under a $550 billion trade pact, including energy and mineral projects, as Washington and Tokyo accelerate economic cooperation ahead of Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s visit Go to Source Read More

Trump immigration crackdown’s most visible defender, Tricia McLaughlin, to leave DHS amid mounting scrutiny

Tricia McLaughlin, the outspoken face of Trump’s immigration crackdown at DHS, is stepping down amid funding fights, political backlash, and growing public dissatisfaction with US immigration enforcement policies Go to Source Read More

‘Not Fair’: Zelenskyy Says Trump Putting ‘Undue Pressure’ On Ukraine, Not Russia

The Ukrainian leader said any proposal requiring Ukraine to give up additional territory in the eastern Donbas region would be firmly rejected. Read More

‘They Want To Silence Critics’: Stephen Colbert Slams Trump After CBS Blocks Democrat’s Interview

Stephen Colbert linked the decision to broader political pressure, accusing Trump’s administration and FCC leadership of attempting to silence critics. Read More

Oil Tanker Flips On National Highway, Catches Fire After Colliding With Electric Pole In UP | Video

The blaze reportedly continued for nearly an hour, sending thick plumes of smoke into the sky. Read More

Topics

Trump announces first tranche of Japan’s investments in US industry under $550bn trade pact

Trump announced Japan’s first investments under a $550 billion trade pact, including energy and mineral projects, as Washington and Tokyo accelerate economic cooperation ahead of Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s visit Go to Source Read More

Trump immigration crackdown’s most visible defender, Tricia McLaughlin, to leave DHS amid mounting scrutiny

Tricia McLaughlin, the outspoken face of Trump’s immigration crackdown at DHS, is stepping down amid funding fights, political backlash, and growing public dissatisfaction with US immigration enforcement policies Go to Source Read More

‘Not Fair’: Zelenskyy Says Trump Putting ‘Undue Pressure’ On Ukraine, Not Russia

The Ukrainian leader said any proposal requiring Ukraine to give up additional territory in the eastern Donbas region would be firmly rejected. Read More

‘They Want To Silence Critics’: Stephen Colbert Slams Trump After CBS Blocks Democrat’s Interview

Stephen Colbert linked the decision to broader political pressure, accusing Trump’s administration and FCC leadership of attempting to silence critics. Read More

Oil Tanker Flips On National Highway, Catches Fire After Colliding With Electric Pole In UP | Video

The blaze reportedly continued for nearly an hour, sending thick plumes of smoke into the sky. Read More

Shahid’s ‘O’ Romeo’ crosses Rs 62 crore globally on Day 5

Shahid Kapoor’s film ‘O’ Romeo’ had a lukewarm start, raking in Rs 8.5 crore on its opening day. Read More

‘If They Force Us To Choose…’: US Congressman Under Fire For Post Comparing Muslims To Dogs

Randy Fine later said his post was a response to comments by Palestinian-American activist Nerdeen Kiswani. Read More

‘Red Lines Are Clear’: JD Vance Says US–Iran Talks Show Limited Progress, Military Option Open

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a “new window has opened” for a possible agreement. Read More

Related Articles