Saturday, May 23, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

Thomas Skinner claims BBC rigged Strictly vote removing him

Former Strictly Come Dancing contestant Thomas Skinner has claimed the BBC rigged the vote that saw him leave the show.

The social media personality alleged in an online post that the night he left the competition he was sent an “anonymous email claiming to be from a BBC exec with stats” that showed he had “received far more votes than it appeared”.

He went on to say the email also claimed the BBC was “angry” and “nervous” over his meeting the US Vice-President JD Vance.

It follows reports Skinner is suing the BBC over claims the vote was rigged against him. A BBC spokesperson rejected the allegation, saying Strictly’s public vote was “independently overseen and verified to ensure complete accuracy”.

They added: “Any claims to the contrary are entirely without foundation.”

PromoVeritas, the company which verifies the show’s public vote, said all the votes it receives are “validated” and “independently and comprehensively verified by two auditors”.

It is understood the BBC is not aware of any legal complaint over the matter.

Skinner was the first celebrity contestant to be voted out in this year’s series.

Ahead of Saturday’s final – which sees former contestants return – he announced he would not be attending.

“I spoke with my lovely dance partner, Amy Dowden to make sure she was okay with me not attending,” he wrote in a lengthy post on X, explaining his post was “so people know the truth” regarding his absence.

“I don’t want people thinking I am bitter when I ain’t.”

Skinner claimed he had the authenticity of the alleged email from a BBC executive “independently verified”, though it is unclear how he did so.

He said he had asked to see the official voting tallies “to back up the ones I was sent in the email but was told they couldn’t be shown to me” and “have never been shown in the history of the show”.

He added that there were “smaller things” that added to the feeling of “how unfair it all was”, such as his welcome gift to the show being the only one that “got stolen apparently”.

The BBC spokesperson said Skinner had yet to share the email with anyone from the broadcaster “despite requests for it”, and so they were unable to comment.

They added that the Strictly team “categorically did not supply ‘welcome gifts’ to any of the cast”.

Skinner first hit TV screens on The Apprentice in 2019, and has since appeared on shows including 8 Out of 10 Cats, Michael McIntyre’s Big Show, Good Morning Britain and Celebrity Masterchef. He is also due to appear on Celebrity Apprentice this Christmas.

He is also known for his social media videos encouraging people to think positively, which typically end with a trademark “bosh”.

But he has attracted criticism in recent months for meeting Donald Trump’s vice-president over the summer and being pictured wearing a Make America Great Again cap.

Skinner stressed in his post that he was “not a political bloke”, adding: “I just love my country and am patriotic.”

He said he had a “private” Zoom call with BBC executives on Wednesday about “going forward” that had been leaked and was “national news” by the following morning.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

PM Modi’s strength not just in policy, but also in trust he builds: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

NEW DELHI: Union minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in his memoir, ‘Apnapan’, on his 35-year-long association with Narendra Modi has said the PM’s strength is not confined merely to his policies and programmes, but is po Read More

5-nation tour pacts to drive job growth: PM Modi

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi said on Saturday that agreements yielded by his recent five-nation tour will unlock “new doors of new economy” for the youth, emphasising that India’s presence in fields of clean energy, c Read More

Topics

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

PM Modi’s strength not just in policy, but also in trust he builds: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

NEW DELHI: Union minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in his memoir, ‘Apnapan’, on his 35-year-long association with Narendra Modi has said the PM’s strength is not confined merely to his policies and programmes, but is po Read More

5-nation tour pacts to drive job growth: PM Modi

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi said on Saturday that agreements yielded by his recent five-nation tour will unlock “new doors of new economy” for the youth, emphasising that India’s presence in fields of clean energy, c Read More

Punjab: Three injured after ruckus in Kapurthala jail as police use teargas, cane charge

Chandigarh, May 24 (PTI): After inmates ran amok in the Kapurthala jail due to a clash, authorities lobbed teargas shells and resorted to cane charge to restore order, officials said on Sunday. Read More

Major General among 3 Army officers survive Cheetah copter crash in Leh; selfie of May 20 accident goes viral

NEW DELHI: Three Indian Army officers had a narrow escape after their helicopter crashed in the mountainous Tangste near Leh in Ladakh. Read More

JD Vance makes unplanned return to Washington, claims report triggering speculations over Iran

Reports claimed JD Vance made an unscheduled return to Washington Saturday. Read More

Related Articles