Tuesday, February 17, 2026
21.1 C
New Delhi

Operation Hawkeye Launched As US, Jordan Bomb 70 ISIS Sites In Syria After Killing Of US Soldiers

Washington [US], December 20 (ANI): US and Jordanian forces carried out large-scale air strikes against the Islamic State terror group in Syria, hitting more than 70 ISIS targets with over 100 precision-guided munitions, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said on Friday (local time).

In a post on X, CENTCOM said the strikes were carried out overnight and described the operation as a demonstration of “peace through strength.” The command also released a video showing footage of the air strikes. The operation comes days after a suspected Islamic State attacker targeted a convoy of US and Syrian forces in the central Syrian town of Palmyra.

Earlier, US President Donald Trump said the strikes were launched in response to the killing of two American service members by ISIS in Syria earlier this month. US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth announced that the United States had launched Operation Hawkeye Strike to eliminate ISIS fighters, infrastructure and weapons sites.

“Earlier today, US forces commenced Operation Hawkeye Strike in Syria to eliminate ISIS fighters, infrastructure and weapons sites in direct response to the attack on US forces that occurred on December 13 in Palmyra, Syria,” Hegseth said in a post on X. “This is not the beginning of a war. It is a declaration of vengeance,” he added, adding that the US would not hesitate to defend its citizens under President Trump’s leadership.

Hegseth further warned that attacks on Americans anywhere in the world would invite a decisive response. “If you target Americans, anywhere in the world, you will spend the rest of your brief, anxious life knowing the United States will hunt you, find you, and ruthlessly kill you,” he said.

Trump also issued the same warning in a post on Truth Social, saying ISIS would be hit harder than ever before. “Because of ISIS’s vicious killing of brave American patriots in Syria, I am announcing very serious retaliation on the murderous terrorists responsible,” Trump said. “We are striking very strongly against ISIS strongholds in Syria.”

The two US soldiers killed in the December 13 attack were identified as Sgt Edgar Brian Torres Tovar, 25, of Des Moines, lowa, and Sgt William Nathaniel Howard, 29, of Marshalltown, lowa. According to the US Army, the soldiers were killed while engaging hostile forces in Palmyra, Syria. Both were assigned to the lowa National Guard’s 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division.

Three additional members of the lowa National Guard were wounded in the attack and were evacuated for further medical treatment. 

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘It just went off’: Why father who shot British daughter won’t face jail—what’s Trump link?

(Image credits: X @CollinRugg) After a man shot his British daughter at his home in Texas after he pointed a gun at her as a prank and pulled the trigger, he will not be facing prison. Read More

Indian man accused of sexually assaulting minor held in New Jersey; ICE takes custody

(Image credits: X @ICEgov) An Indian-origin man accused of multiple offences, including the sexual assault of a minor, has been detained by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Read More

Russia downs 151 Ukrainian drones overnight as second round of talks begin in Geneva

Russia said it shot down 151 Ukrainian drones overnight as senior officials from both sides gathered in Switzerland for a new round of US-brokered talks Go to Source Read More

This Hyderabad Hotel Is Rumoured To Be The Venue For Vijay Deverakonda And Rashmika Mandanna’s Wedding Reception

The luxury Banjara Hills hotel named on the viral wedding invite is already setting expectations for a grand celebration Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Karnataka Class 10 Boy Dies After Jumping From Third Floor Of School Hostel

CCTV footage showed the boy walking near the hostel railing, standing there for a few moments and then jumping. Read More

Topics

‘It just went off’: Why father who shot British daughter won’t face jail—what’s Trump link?

(Image credits: X @CollinRugg) After a man shot his British daughter at his home in Texas after he pointed a gun at her as a prank and pulled the trigger, he will not be facing prison. Read More

Indian man accused of sexually assaulting minor held in New Jersey; ICE takes custody

(Image credits: X @ICEgov) An Indian-origin man accused of multiple offences, including the sexual assault of a minor, has been detained by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Read More

Russia downs 151 Ukrainian drones overnight as second round of talks begin in Geneva

Russia said it shot down 151 Ukrainian drones overnight as senior officials from both sides gathered in Switzerland for a new round of US-brokered talks Go to Source Read More

This Hyderabad Hotel Is Rumoured To Be The Venue For Vijay Deverakonda And Rashmika Mandanna’s Wedding Reception

The luxury Banjara Hills hotel named on the viral wedding invite is already setting expectations for a grand celebration Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Karnataka Class 10 Boy Dies After Jumping From Third Floor Of School Hostel

CCTV footage showed the boy walking near the hostel railing, standing there for a few moments and then jumping. Read More

‘Extraordinary Potential Of Indian Talent’: PM Modi Shares Highlights Of AI Impact Expo 2026

PM Modi said the AI summit showcased the extraordinary potential of Indian talent in shaping the future of Artificial Intelligence for global good. Read More

India vs Netherlands T20 World Cup: Match Date, Time, Venue & Live Streaming Info

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom India have already qualified for the ICC T20 World Cup 2026 Super 8s, but still have a group stage fixture left to play. Read More

CBSE Board Exam 2026: CBSE Board Exams 2026 Begin Today, Over 43 Lakh Students Appear Across India and Abroad

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has commenced its 2026 board examinations today, with more than 43 lakh students appearing across India and overseas centres. Read More

Related Articles