Friday, May 22, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

Israel Strikes Lebanon Again, Ceasefire At Risk As Iran Maintains Hormuz Blockade

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Israel launched fresh strikes on Lebanon on Thursday, intensifying tensions in the Middle East and putting a fragile ceasefire at risk. The latest attacks follow the deadliest wave of Israeli strikes in the conflict so far, which reportedly killed more than 250 people and raised fears of a wider escalation.

The developments come just as diplomatic efforts were gaining momentum, with Iranian negotiators expected to travel to Pakistan for the first round of peace talks with a US delegation scheduled for Saturday.

Ceasefire Under Strain as Iran Refuses to Back Down

Despite the announcement of a two-week ceasefire between the United States and Iran, there was no indication that Tehran had lifted its blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, a move that has triggered unprecedented disruption to global energy supplies.

Iran has made its position clear: no agreement will hold as long as Israeli strikes on Lebanon continue. In response to the latest attacks targeting Hezbollah, Tehran reportedly shut the strategic waterway again on Thursday, reversing its earlier decision to reopen it temporarily.

Netanyahu Vows Continued Strikes Against Hezbollah

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the military action, saying operations against Hezbollah would continue “wherever necessary”. In a statement, he said Israeli forces had eliminated Ali Youssef Kharshi, described as a close aide to Hezbollah Secretary-General Naim Qassem.

Netanyahu also said the Israeli Defence Forces carried out overnight strikes on key infrastructure in southern Lebanon, including weapons depots, launch sites and operational headquarters.

“Our message is clear: whoever acts against Israeli civilians will be struck,” he said, adding that operations would continue until security is restored in northern Israel.

Civilian Areas Hit, Casualty Figures Vary

The strikes reportedly hit busy commercial and residential areas in central Beirut, just hours after US President Donald Trump announced the ceasefire with Iran.

Casualty figures remain unclear, with Reuters reporting more than 250 deaths, while the Associated Press put the toll at 182.

Lebanon Not Covered by Ceasefire, Say US and Israel

Netanyahu said Lebanon was not included in the two-week ceasefire agreement between the US and Iran, a position echoed by US President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance.

In a televised address, Netanyahu said Israel had struck around 100 targets in a matter of minutes, calling it one of the most significant blows to Hezbollah since earlier operations. He added that Israel had established security zones beyond its borders in Lebanon, Syria and Gaza.

Go to Source

Hot this week

YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac

Image Via Instagram Danny Go has broken some very sad news to his fans because he recently revealed that his 14-year-old son Isaac passed away after suffering from cancer for quite some time now. Read More

After benches differ on UAPA bail, SC refers question to larger bench

NEW DELHI: After two benches of the Supreme Court differed over whether delay in trial can justify bail for those accused under UAPA, the apex court has now referred the issue to a large bench for authoritative pronouncement. Read More

Hizbul & Al Badr chiefs join ISI men at burial of Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan in Pakistan

NEW DELHI: Slain terror commander Hamza Burhan was buried in Rawalpindi on Friday morning in the presence of several top terror chiefs including Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin and Al Badr head Zameen Bakht besides ISI officials, visuals Read More

Smart border project with Pak, B’desh to ensure demography change attempt is defeated: Amit Shah

New Delhi: Declaring the Centre’s resolve to put an end to infiltration from across the eastern border, which it sees as a design to introduce unnatural demographic changes, Union home minister Amit Shah on Friday asked BSF to t Read More

Bobby Deol hid Aashram from his family over intimate scenes

Bobby Deol recently opened up about the struggles, insecurities, and comeback phase of his career while speaking to Shekhar Suman on his chat show. Read More

Topics

YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac

Image Via Instagram Danny Go has broken some very sad news to his fans because he recently revealed that his 14-year-old son Isaac passed away after suffering from cancer for quite some time now. Read More

After benches differ on UAPA bail, SC refers question to larger bench

NEW DELHI: After two benches of the Supreme Court differed over whether delay in trial can justify bail for those accused under UAPA, the apex court has now referred the issue to a large bench for authoritative pronouncement. Read More

Hizbul & Al Badr chiefs join ISI men at burial of Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan in Pakistan

NEW DELHI: Slain terror commander Hamza Burhan was buried in Rawalpindi on Friday morning in the presence of several top terror chiefs including Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin and Al Badr head Zameen Bakht besides ISI officials, visuals Read More

Smart border project with Pak, B’desh to ensure demography change attempt is defeated: Amit Shah

New Delhi: Declaring the Centre’s resolve to put an end to infiltration from across the eastern border, which it sees as a design to introduce unnatural demographic changes, Union home minister Amit Shah on Friday asked BSF to t Read More

Bobby Deol hid Aashram from his family over intimate scenes

Bobby Deol recently opened up about the struggles, insecurities, and comeback phase of his career while speaking to Shekhar Suman on his chat show. Read More

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

Related Articles