Saturday, May 23, 2026
34.1 C
New Delhi

Deep Dive | Trump’s 3-Hour Turnaround: Inside The Strike That Jolted Iran

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Public frustration over stalled nuclear negotiations with Iran quickly escalated into a sweeping US military operation that reshaped Tehran’s leadership and unsettled global markets.

On February 27, President Donald Trump publicly expressed dissatisfaction with the pace of indirect talks. Within hours, while en route to Texas aboard Air Force One, he authorised a multi-domain strike named “Operation Epic Fury,” targeting Iran’s senior leadership, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

From ‘No, I Haven’t’ To ‘Operation Approved’

At 12:25 PM EST on Friday (Feb 27), Trump left the White House for Texas and told reporters he was “not happy with the way” negotiations were unfolding. When asked whether he had taken a final call, he replied, “No, I haven’t.”

By 3:38 PM EST, as Air Force One approached Corpus Christi, the decision was made.

“The president directed, and I quote, ‘Operation Epic Fury approved … Good luck,’” General Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at a Pentagon briefing Monday.

That instruction activated coordinated preparations across US forces. Air defence units were repositioned, strike plans rehearsed, munitions loaded and two carrier strike groups, USS Abraham Lincoln and USS Gerald R. Ford, advanced to operational positions.

During the nearly three-hour flight, Trump sought views from Republican lawmakers travelling with him, including Senators John Cornyn and Ted Cruz. According to the Associated Press, citing a person familiar with the operation, the broad assessment was that Tehran was using negotiations to buy time.

Nine minutes after approving the operation, Trump posted on Truth Social about an unrelated dispute, directing the US government to halt the use of Anthropic artificial intelligence technology following a public disagreement with the Pentagon.

At 4:03 PM EST, after landing in Texas, Trump again addressed reporters, reiterating his dissatisfaction but declining to confirm the military order. “I’d rather not tell you,” he said. “You would have had the greatest scoop in history, right?”

The Operation Begins

The assault commenced at 1:15 AM EST on February 28.

“Across every domain – land, air, sea, cyber,” US forces “delivered synchronized and layered effects designed to disrupt, degrade, deny and destroy Iran’s ability to conduct and sustain combat operations on the US side,” Caine said.

The effort involved thousands of service members, hundreds of advanced fighter aircraft, dozens of refuelling tankers and the Lincoln and Ford carrier groups. Intelligence and surveillance systems were integrated into the mission, with additional forces continuing to deploy.

The strike followed months of CIA tracking of senior Iranian officials, including Khamenei. Intelligence was shared with Israel, and the timing was adjusted accordingly, a person familiar with the operation said.

Explosions were reported in Tehran as Israel’s defence minister declared a state of emergency. An Israeli military official said three near-simultaneous strikes hit separate locations within a minute, killing Khamenei and about 40 senior figures, including the head of Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard and the defence minister.

At 4:37 PM EST, Trump posted on Truth Social that Khamenei had been “unable to avoid our Intelligence and Highly Sophisticated Tracking Systems.”

Cornyn later said Trump had not disclosed operational details during the flight, instead raising the broader question of whether Iran should be stopped “by whatever necessary action.”

Expanding Scope And Political Messaging

On March 1, Trump said US forces had “destroyed and sunk 9 Iranian Naval Ships” and largely destroyed Iran’s naval headquarters, signalling further action ahead.

In a video message later that day, he said US forces and partners had struck hundreds of targets, including Revolutionary Guard facilities and air defence systems, “all in a matter of literally minutes,” and indicated operations would continue until US objectives were achieved, without specifying them.

Reports said administration officials privately told congressional staff that intelligence did not show Iran was preparing a pre-emptive strike against the United States. Instead, they cited broader regional threats from Iranian missiles and proxy forces.

A senior White House official told the Associated Press that Iran’s “new potential leadership” had expressed openness to negotiations.

‘This Is Not Iraq’

On March 2, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth described the campaign as limited.

“This is not Iraq. This is not endless,” he said at the Pentagon. “This is not a so-called regime change war, but the regime sure did change, and the world is better off for it.”

Trump, speaking separately at the White House, said he expected the campaign to run for four to five weeks, while noting that US forces could continue longer if necessary. In an interview with the New York Post, he declined to rule out deploying ground troops. “I don’t have the yips with respect to boots on the ground,” he said.

Regional Reaction And Market Impact

Neighbouring countries reinforced their defences in response. The United Arab Emirates said it intercepted nine ballistic missiles, six cruise missiles and 148 drones. Qatar reported downing two Iranian warplanes.

Oil prices rose sharply amid disruptions to tanker traffic near the Strait of Hormuz, fuelling concerns about supply from the Persian Gulf. Global markets showed volatility, with US futures reflecting declines seen earlier in Europe and Asia.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Becoming a permanent resident in the US: List of top 10 countries that obtain maximum Green Cards

The new Green Card rule is likely to impact the countries that receive the highest number of Green Cards but it is more complicated than that. Read More

Trump says US, Iran ‘getting a lot closer’ to deal, warns of military action if talks fail

Reports on Friday suggested that Trump was considering a fresh round of strikes on Iran, as the conflict between the two countries entered its 13th week. Read More

US-Iran Interim Peace Deal Ready, Joint Announcement Expected Within 24 Hours | Exclusive Details

Sources confirm that the consensus document has been formally cleared by a powerful cohort of top-tier negotiators from both sides Go to Source Read More

Aishwarya closes Cannes 2026 like a boss lady, netizens can’t keep calm: VIDEO

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is called the queen of Cannes and well-deservedly so. Read More

Salman Khan’s co-star Bhagyashree defends him after his outburst at paps

Salman Khan recently lost his cool at paparazzi after photographers reportedly followed him outside a hospital while he was visiting a family member. Read More

Topics

Becoming a permanent resident in the US: List of top 10 countries that obtain maximum Green Cards

The new Green Card rule is likely to impact the countries that receive the highest number of Green Cards but it is more complicated than that. Read More

Trump says US, Iran ‘getting a lot closer’ to deal, warns of military action if talks fail

Reports on Friday suggested that Trump was considering a fresh round of strikes on Iran, as the conflict between the two countries entered its 13th week. Read More

US-Iran Interim Peace Deal Ready, Joint Announcement Expected Within 24 Hours | Exclusive Details

Sources confirm that the consensus document has been formally cleared by a powerful cohort of top-tier negotiators from both sides Go to Source Read More

Aishwarya closes Cannes 2026 like a boss lady, netizens can’t keep calm: VIDEO

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is called the queen of Cannes and well-deservedly so. Read More

Salman Khan’s co-star Bhagyashree defends him after his outburst at paps

Salman Khan recently lost his cool at paparazzi after photographers reportedly followed him outside a hospital while he was visiting a family member. Read More

Ecstatic to finish game and score century but we will support MI now: PBKS skipper Iyer

Lucknow, May 23 (PTI): Punjab Kings skipper Shreyas Iyer said on Saturday that he was feeling “ecstatic” after achieving a two-point goal against Lucknow Super Giants — scoring a maiden IPL hundred and keeping his side afloat in the race Read More

LSG vs PBKS Highlights: Punjab Still Alive! Clinch Must-Win Clash To Stay In Playoff Hunt

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Punjab Kings chased 197 to beat Lucknow Super Giants. Josh Inglis scored 72, and Abdul Samad added 37 for LSG. Read More

US lawmakers, immigration advocates slam new green card policy, seek reversal

Washington, May 23 (PTI): US lawmakers and immigration advocates have sharply criticised as “reckless and wrong” the Trump administration’s new policy that requires green card seekers to make their applications from their home country. Read More

Related Articles