Saturday, May 23, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

Kerala Govt To Appeal 2017 Actress Assault Case Verdict, Challenge Dileep’s Acquittal

Kochi, Dec 23 (PTI) The Kerala government will soon file an appeal against the verdict in the 2017 actress assault case, challenging both the acquittal of actor Dileep and the sentences awarded to six convicts, sources said on Tuesday.

According to sources in the office of the Director General of Prosecution, the state government has given its nod to file an appeal against the district court judgment.

Special Public Prosecutor V Aja Kumar told PTI that the appeal would be filed soon after the Kerala High Court’s Christmas vacation.

“Though I have not yet received a copy of the government order, I have been informed that approval has been granted. Hence, we will be able to file the appeal once the court vacation is over,” he said.

Kumar said he had submitted a detailed report to the Director General of Prosecution, which was subsequently forwarded to the state government.

“The government has taken a clear stand that no time should be wasted in filing the appeal. I have examined the judgment in detail and prepared the grounds for appeal,” he said.

He said the state would challenge the sentence awarded by the Ernakulam District and Principal Sessions Court to six accused persons, including prime accused Pulsar Suni.

“Similarly, we will challenge the verdict acquitting the eighth accused (Dileep) and three others. The trial court relied on the testimonies of around 60 witnesses to convict six accused, but rejected the same evidence while acquitting the remaining accused,” Kumar said.

The trial court had acquitted Dileep and three others, while sentencing six accused to 20 years of rigorous imprisonment. The survivor had earlier expressed her disappointment over the verdict on social media.

The actress was abducted and sexually assaulted while travelling from Thrissur to Ernakulam after a film shoot in February 2017. The crime was allegedly recorded on a mobile phone inside a moving vehicle. Dileep was arrested on charges of conspiracy in connection with the crime. PTI TBA TBA ADB

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

Topics

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

PM Modi’s strength not just in policy, but also in trust he builds: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

NEW DELHI: Union minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in his memoir, ‘Apnapan’, on his 35-year-long association with Narendra Modi has said the PM’s strength is not confined merely to his policies and programmes, but is po Read More

5-nation tour pacts to drive job growth: PM Modi

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi said on Saturday that agreements yielded by his recent five-nation tour will unlock “new doors of new economy” for the youth, emphasising that India’s presence in fields of clean energy, c Read More

Punjab: Three injured after ruckus in Kapurthala jail as police use teargas, cane charge

Chandigarh, May 24 (PTI): After inmates ran amok in the Kapurthala jail due to a clash, authorities lobbed teargas shells and resorted to cane charge to restore order, officials said on Sunday. Read More

Related Articles